Beware of Fake Cops

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
bizarrenormality

Beware of Fake Cops

Post by bizarrenormality »

Thomas Schlender, 74, of Raymond, Neb., was found in his car on Interstate 55 in Panola County on May 8 about 1:30 a.m. Three days later, Lori Anne Carswell, 48, of Hernando, was found near her car on Mississippi Highway 713 in nearby Tunica County about 2:15 a.m.
Authorities were investigating whether the suspect was impersonating an officer and that is how the people ended up on the side of the road, said Mississippi Bureau of Investigation director Larry Waggoner.
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/14/2- ... olice-say/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dave2
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Beware of Fake Cops

Post by Dave2 »

How would one protect themselves against this? Call 911, give them your license plate #, and ask them to verify that an actual officer is trying to pull you over?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

Dave2 wrote:How would one protect themselves against this? Call 911, give them your license plate #, and ask them to verify that an actual officer is trying to pull you over?

I live in VA during the Colonial Parkway Murders ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_Parkway_Killer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) and frequently traveled the Parkway. Although I have never had to do it, I would not hesitate to call the police and confirm that they had an officer trying to pull be over. IMHO, if you have slowed down, turned on your hazards, and called to confirm the officer is legit, I would have to believe the officer would be understanding.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

10mmillie

Post by 10mmillie »

Back in 2001 there was guy in a white crown vic in south Austin pulling women over and raping them. All he had was a dash light and a former cop car with the spot light still on it. I was a cop back then and it took for ever for us to catch him. My advice is that if it is not a marked unit with overhead lights then slow down, put your flashers on and call 9-1-1 to confirm that an officer is trying to pull you over. That's what I would do if I felt something wasn't right. I remember the Sheriff in Caldwell County would pull people over in his personal red Chevy pickup and people would call in on him thinking it was a fireman using his lights to pull people over. I've caught volunteer firemen and security guards pulling people over so when in doubt call 9-1-1.

johnson0317
Posts in topic: 2

Post by johnson0317 »

I am not sure if I have told this story here. Back when I was in high school, there was this 16 year old kid, who went to my school, that was pulling people over on the Interstate 25. He had a dash light that he would turn on, then he would give people warnings. This was really stupid for more than one reason. He was not only 16, but he looked 16. He did not have any sort of uniform. He pulled over an unmarked police vehicle. I guess the last example was his most stupid move. :smilelol5:

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

johnson0317 wrote:I am not sure if I have told this story here. Back when I was in high school, there was this 16 year old kid, who went to my school, that was pulling people over on the Interstate 25. He had a dash light that he would turn on, then he would give people warnings. This was really stupid for more than one reason. He was not only 16, but he looked 16. He did not have any sort of uniform. He pulled over an unmarked police vehicle. I guess the last example was his most stupid move. :smilelol5:

RJ

So... What happened to you when the 'unmarked' officer arrested you? :biggrinjester:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

johnson0317
Posts in topic: 2

Post by johnson0317 »

lol. I did some really stupid things in my life, but not that particular stupid thing.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”