Frisco PD Encounter

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
2firfun50
Posts in topic: 2

Frisco PD Encounter

Post by 2firfun50 »

I was sitting at a stop light at 380 and Preston Rd minding my own business. The 1 ton duelly was stopped behind me when a Nisson Altima tagged us both doing about 50 mph :banghead: . Me. my wife, and our friend were not injured. The man in the duelly was shook up but was ok. The woman in the Nisson was injured.

The CHL story was more interesting. My wife, friend and I had 10 pistols in the car and about 600 rds of left over ammo (We took about 2500 :tiphat:) . We were coming from our son's place after breaking in a couple of new 1911s and just an all around fun day burning ammo.

My wife had here S&W 380 bodyguard in her pocket and I had my Kahr CW45 at 3:00. At the very first opportunity, we informed the responding officers about our CHLs and the weapons packed in the truck. He took our CHLs and DLs and very calmly and politely asked us to secure our carry weapons in the glove compartment. He blocked others line of sight while we did so. He never touched our weapons. Several minutes later. our CHLs were returned and the officer laughed as he glance back down the line of vehicles and said "Everyones' packin heat." The officers were polite, professional and unconcerned that we were armed. Great job Guys!! :cheers2:

Teamless
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Frisco PD Encounter

Post by Teamless »

sounds like an OK meet with the PD, but I still will not ever understand why some officers want you to disarm.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Glad you were not hurt..
On the encounter,, Id have to give it a B at best..

Courious how you can have

"very calmly and politely asked us to secure our carry weapons in the glove compartment. and " The officers were polite, professional and unconcerned that we were armed."
In the same post on the same LEO's , same encounter and conclude "unconcerned that we were armed."

What was it about disarming you under the law, that only allows such if the officer is concerned for his safety.. equals your position The officers were~unconcerned that we were armed"

:headscratch

Great to hear while they were disarming you they did so professionally and politely.. :thumbs2:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Recall3613

Post by Recall3613 »

i'm the friend that was with them :biggrinjester:
one reason i can think of is when wrecks happen some people might have short tempers. and officers just want to keep the situation "under control" if that makes sence.

btw frisco PD polite as ever :tiphat:
The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance…logic can be happily tossed out the window.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I never did it but I can almost understand it at an accident scene, especially the way the officer in the OP did it. He was not nearly as worried about the potential threat to him from the CHL (I am guessing) but the danger to and from the other drivers. Accident scenes can get very touchy very quickly as the drivers tell their version of what happened. A driver can be calm and accepting of what happened because he thinks it is the other guy's fault, then get mad and go nuts when he hears the other driver tell what happened from his point of view.

As one example of how this could happen, consider the truck driver in the OP. I may be misunderstanding what happened, but it sounded like the car was stopped with the truck behind it also stopped. Then the third car came in and never slowed down very much, rear ending the truck and pushing it into the front car. If I am wrong, think about this kind of chain reaction accident anyway. Now, we all agree the accident is the third car's fault but the driver of car number one can actually sue the driver of the truck. That is who caused the damage to his car, so is responsible for fixing it. If the third car driver has no insurance, guess who will pay for the first car? And I can see him getting mad when he learns this too. So the scene gets a little hotter fairly quickly and the guy in the front car may end up pulling a weapon before the cop can control the truck driver. But with the guns in the glove box, there is a little more time for the cop to get control, or if any shooting needs to be done it will be him doing it.

This is an extreme example, but I have seen accident scenes get out of control almost as fast as a domestic disturbance. I don't think I would disarm anyone, but I can understand it here more than in a simple traffic stop scenario.
Steve Rothstein

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

:thumbs2: not at all unlikely it would happen as you said...I don't blame the cop, either...good call on his part...

johnson0317

Post by johnson0317 »

I can see all of the points of view here. The best case is that he does not ask you to do anything with your weapon. Him having you remove it and put it in the glove compartment is not too far removed from his not asking you to do anything. It is still right within reach, but maybe it gives someone that second or two extra to decide to behave themselves.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

It also represents an opportunity for an AD to occur while handling the firearm -- especially assuming your adrenalin levels may be elevated.

Not to mention handling a firearm in the presents of an officer.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

clarionite

Post by clarionite »

If there were going to be an armed encounter, I'd assume it would happen right after the accident before the arrival of the officers. If nobody's aggressive by the time the officer arrives, I'd assume nobody was going to get aggressive. I was in an accident a month and a half ago (rear ended) and the officer did little more than look at my CHL and hand it back to me.

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

sjfcontrol wrote:It also represents an opportunity for an AD to occur while handling the firearm -- especially assuming your adrenalin levels may be elevated.

Not to mention handling a firearm in the presents of an officer.

...if that would happen just putting it away...the problem is not with the officer...and not everyone is in a flitter because of a badge nearby...not a problem...

Topic author
2firfun50

Post by 2firfun50 »

Update:

The woman did not have insurance. The database said she did and her insurance card said she did. That tends to happen when you don't pay the premium. My truck is fixed and my insurance co. stepped right up to the plate, but I am out the deductable and a little more for the rental. We didn't want to drive a roller skate. ;-)

As far as taking my weapon off body and storing it in the glovebox, I use a tuck&go holster, so it comes out in the holster with the trigger protected. My wife uses a good fitting pocket holster and her weapon also comes out holstered. In a serious social encounter, if our weapons clear leather, decision made, the BG will be engaged.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”