TX Residents with out of state CHL

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Re: TX Residents with out of state CHL

Postby bizarrenormality » Thu May 31, 2012 8:21 pm

Jumping Frog wrote:Always have a back-up plan.

:thumbs2: It's pretty easy to get the out of state DL to match the out of state CHL if Texas legislators are foolish! :lol:
"Also if you can not be trusted with a pistol after a few drinks you can't be trusted with a pistol period. Booze is liquid bad judgment no doubt but it shouldn't make you into a darn moron. If you are a moron sober I don't know what to tell you." - BurnedOutLEO
bizarrenormality

Postby tomtexan » Thu May 31, 2012 8:23 pm

bizarrenormality wrote:Usually lower cost and less risk of being unnecessarily disarmed by a hoplophobe for starters.

Who is the hoplophobe?
tomtexan

Postby steveincowtown » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:20 am

Jumping Frog wrote:
bizarrenormality wrote:More and more I think the out of state CHL is a better choice.

There is the pretty strong risk that the next legislative session will address TX residents and out of state CHL's, by requiring a TX resident to have a TX CHL.

Always have a back-up plan.

Why would the TX legislators keep TX residents from obtaining a license from a state we have reciprocity with?

Not that I want to see ANY reciprocity agreements go by the wayside, but if the license is recognized to have reciprocity, I cannot think of any legitimate reason why a Texan should not be able to hold it.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member
steveincowtown

Postby recaffeination » Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:33 pm

steveincowtown wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:
bizarrenormality wrote:More and more I think the out of state CHL is a better choice.

There is the pretty strong risk that the next legislative session will address TX residents and out of state CHL's, by requiring a TX resident to have a TX CHL.

Always have a back-up plan.

Why would the TX legislators keep TX residents from obtaining a license from a state we have reciprocity with?

Not that I want to see ANY reciprocity agreements go by the wayside, but if the license is recognized to have reciprocity, I cannot think of any legitimate reason why a Texan should not be able to hold it.

There are two competing theories that stand up to scrutiny. The first says follow the money. The second says Texas legislators have the emotional maturity of a six year old throwing a temper tantrum.
This message was misspelled by my Apple mobile device.
recaffeination

Postby dev_null » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:14 pm

There are two competing theories that stand up to scrutiny. The first says follow the money. The second says Texas legislators have the emotional maturity of a six year old throwing a temper tantrum.

This. :iagree:
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it."
GOA life member
JPFO life member
dev_null

Postby tacticool » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:40 pm

Watching the video of the campus carry hearings, I can believe the second theory.
When in doubt
Vote them out!
tacticool

MPA v. CHL

Postby sjfcontrol » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:47 am

For those interested, Charles has said that srothstein's explanation is correct. You are not carrying under your CHL while driving. You DO still have to give an officer your CHL if stopped, however.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45095&p=548496&hilit=mpa+chl#p548496

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=46515&p=567782&hilit=mpa+chl#p567782

viewtopic.php?f=110&t=41043&p=498560&hilit=mpa+chl#p498560

viewtopic.php?f=110&t=41043&p=497834&hilit=mpa+chl#p497834
Collin county CHL classes -- http://www.ShootingStarsTraining.com
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
"Never shoot a large-caliber man with a small-caliber bullet."
Never Forget. Image
sjfcontrol

Postby sjfcontrol » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:59 am

bizarrenormality wrote:Usually lower cost and less risk of being unnecessarily disarmed by a hoplophobe for starters.

If you mean "less risk of being disarmed by an officer", not true. You must follow TX law (in Texas) regardless of where the license came from. So you must display the license to the officer, and he may disarm you. He *may* even be MORE likely to disarm you than someone with a TX CHL, simply because he's less sure of your knowledge of Texas law.

Other than officers, what hoplophobe do you think would disarm you, and why would an out-of-state CHL help?
Collin county CHL classes -- http://www.ShootingStarsTraining.com
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
"Never shoot a large-caliber man with a small-caliber bullet."
Never Forget. Image
sjfcontrol

Postby tomtexan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:21 pm

sjfcontrol wrote:Other than officers, what hoplophobe do you think would disarm you, and why would an out-of-state CHL help?

I had asked the same similar question and never received an answer.
tomtexan

Postby bizarrenormality » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:04 pm

If you're not outed by some database, concealed really is concealed.
"Also if you can not be trusted with a pistol after a few drinks you can't be trusted with a pistol period. Booze is liquid bad judgment no doubt but it shouldn't make you into a darn moron. If you are a moron sober I don't know what to tell you." - BurnedOutLEO
bizarrenormality

Postby packina45 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:32 pm

To the original question....I moved back to Texas in 2008. From Louisiana. My FLORIDA CWP showed my Louisiana address.

As required, I notified Florida of my new Texas address. I did not, however, pay the $25 fee to receive new plastic with my Texas address on it, as this was OPTIONAL to Florida. They only required the notification.

On three seperate occasions, in Texas, I have handed my Florida CWP (with a Louisiana address) and my Texas DL (with my current Texas address) to an LEO. Only once was it ever even commented on, and that was a mild "don't have your new Florida card yet?". When I explained that Florida had been updated, and they didn't require that a new card be issued, the subject was dropped.

Moot point, now that I have Texas CHL, but in my experience with LEO, a valid permit is a valid permit.
Like Southern Gospel or Christian Country music?
You can hear me on Internet Radio!
CHL timeline: 43 days mailbox to mailbox
packina45

Previous

Return to LEO Contacts & Bloopers