Question for LEOs

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
stealthfightrf17
Posts in topic: 5

Question for LEOs

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

I have noticed that the local PD by my work is doing a lot of traffic enforcment, which is much needed. However, they often pull people over in entrance areas right off the feeder and stay there. Many times they also leave their doors open. I have seen several times where they have almost be hit. It seems as if it is a hazard for not only the officer, but also for the public. How would I go about adressing this concern?

WildBill
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Question for LEOs

Post by WildBill »

I would try with a phone call to your local chief of police or public relations officer.

Recently I have noticed some Harris County Constables who have pulled over cars on the Hardy Toll Road park their cruisers with their rear ends extending into the right lane of traffic.
NRA Endowment Member

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 2

Post by G.A. Heath »

I'm Not a LEO. By leaving the door open, or the vehicle partially in the traffic lane, they are forcing other drivers to move over towards the left hopefully giving them more room to work and an additional bit of safety. This works well on a 3, 4, or larger lane roads however on 2 lane roads can cause a safety hazard if not done in a safe manner.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

PBratton
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PBratton »

I've noticed this as well. Could they be relying on the new law that requires drivers to slow down or leave the lane?
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Topic author
stealthfightrf17

Post by stealthfightrf17 »

They are not stoping in the lane, but directly in the entrance to buisnesses with maybe a few feet between the feeder and their car. All the areas I have seen they have ample space to move into the actuall parking lot.

speedsix
Posts in topic: 8

Post by speedsix »

...often, you have to place the squad in relation to where the customer finally stops to protect them/you...and they're liable to stop ANYWHERE once the lights come on...I like to hear the officer from his car on loudspeaker telling the driver where to pull to...much safer...
...standing between the cars is my pet peeve...I call the training officers of the dept...had a friend lay in bed 6 months with two broken legs doing that...

gigag04
Posts in topic: 6

Post by gigag04 »

Violator determines where the stop occurs. If it is drastically unsafe, I move us. Normally though, my car sticking into the lane means ignorant drivers strike my car first, not me, and not the violator.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

srothstein
Posts in topic: 3

Post by srothstein »

I agree with speedsix and gigag04. The actual location of the stop is determined first by the violator when the officer hits the reds. After they stop, the officer MAY be able to ask them to move to a safer location but not always. And the officer is taught to use his car to protect himself and the violator. when I was first taught how to make a traffic stop, we used the car straight on behind the violator but half offset to the left. This gave us a three foot safe area by the car where we could talk to the violator but an idiot would hit our car instead of us. Later we went with the "J" stop where the patrol car is stopped at an angle instead of straight. This meant the front corner of the car would be the part sticking out and if it got hit the car would be knocked sideways instead of straight into the violator's car. I haven't used the right hand side approach so I don't know how that affects the stop position.

I do know we would leave the doors open to help give us some possible protection if the violator was a bad guy and opened fire. It also had an amazing psychological effect on the other cars to give us more room from them.

And I was taught not to ask the violator to move after they stopped since it was an invitation for them to try to run. Also, if they were DWI, you just allowed a drunk to drive, even if you only intended it to be a few feet. I don't remember the last time I asked a person to move their car instead of calling for extra backup if I thought we were in a dangerous spot.

But the other posters also had the answer I suggest for your concerns. Call the department and ask to speak to a supervisor or community relations officer and tell them what you are worried about. Concern for the safety of the officers and the community should only be taken as a good thing.
Steve Rothstein

Mel

Post by Mel »

PBratton wrote:I've noticed this as well. Could they be relying on the new law that requires drivers to slow down or leave the lane?
This law is misunderstood often. The law does not give you the option of slowing down or moving over.
As I understand the law, it says you MUST move over to leave an empty lane between you and the emergency vehicle.
If that is not possible, THEN you must slow to 20 mph below the posted speed limit. But it does not give you the option of slowing down if it is possible to move over.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 6

Post by gigag04 »

Mel wrote:
PBratton wrote:I've noticed this as well. Could they be relying on the new law that requires drivers to slow down or leave the lane?
This law is misunderstood often. The law does not give you the option of slowing down or moving over.
As I understand the law, it says you MUST move over to leave an empty lane between you and the emergency vehicle.
If that is not possible, THEN you must slow to 20 mph below the posted speed limit. But it does not give you the option of slowing down if it is possible to move over.
Correct.

Also slamming the door shut gives the violator vehicle a heads up that you're approaching. I use lighting and silence to mask my approach to the vehicle.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

howdy
Posts in topic: 1

Post by howdy »

As an armed civilian, I get nervous walking into a convenience store at night. I can't imagine how I would feel if I were a Police Officer pulling over someone at night on a dark road. My hat goes off to you guys/ladies. :tiphat:
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

srothstein
Posts in topic: 3

Post by srothstein »

Mel wrote:
I disagree Mel. The law does not give a preference to one action or the other. It simply says you must do one or the other. Incidentally, it applies to tow trucks now, as well as police, fire, and EMS.
Sec. 545.157. PASSING AUTHORIZED EMERGENCY VEHICLE.
(a) On approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle using visual signals that meet the requirements of Sections 547.305 and 547.702, or a
stationary tow truck using equipment authorized by Section 547.305(d), an operator, unless otherwise directed by a police officer, shall:
(1) vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle or tow truck when driving on a highway with two or more lanes traveling in the direction of the
emergency vehicle or tow truck; or
(2) slow to a speed not to exceed:
(A) 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or more; or
(B) five miles per hour when the posted speed limit is less than 25 miles per hour.
Steve Rothstein

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

srothstein wrote: I disagree Mel. The law does not give a preference to one action or the other. It simply says you must do one or the other. Incidentally, it applies to tow trucks now, as well as police, fire, and EMS.
Thank you!
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

speedsix
Posts in topic: 8

Post by speedsix »

...always important to read it for ourselves...that way we have it right...
...we lost a lot of good officers before that law passed...for no good reason...THAT one should be enforced ZERO tolerance...

Mel

Post by Mel »

srothstein wrote:
Mel wrote:
I disagree Mel. The law does not give a preference to one action or the other. It simply says you must do one or the other. Incidentally, it applies to tow trucks now, as well as police, fire, and EMS.
Sec. 545.157. PASSING AUTHORIZED EMERGENCY VEHICLE.
(a) On approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle using visual signals that meet the requirements of Sections 547.305 and 547.702, or a
stationary tow truck using equipment authorized by Section 547.305(d), an operator, unless otherwise directed by a police officer, shall:
(1) vacate the lane closest to the emergency vehicle or tow truck when driving on a highway with two or more lanes traveling in the direction of the
emergency vehicle or tow truck; or
(2) slow to a speed not to exceed:
(A) 20 miles per hour less than the posted speed limit when the posted speed limit is 25 miles per hour or more; or
(B) five miles per hour when the posted speed limit is less than 25 miles per hour.
I stand corrected. I was positive that when the law was first passed, it wasn't optional.
Thanks for the clarification.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”