Stopped by Irving LEO

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Re: Stopped by Irving LEO

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

OP:

Speed monitoring is surveillance.

Equip yourself with the best counter-surveillance - a Valentine One.

$395 up front will take the worry out of being fast.

We choose not to be crime victims by carrying heat.

Choosing not to be a revenue source for cities and towns is another form
of protection.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Keith B »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:OP:

Speed monitoring is surveillance.

Equip yourself with the best counter-surveillance - a Valentine One.

$395 up front will take the worry out of being fast.

We choose not to be crime victims by carrying heat.

Choosing not to be a revenue source for cities and towns is another form
of protection.

SIA
Not a big help against Lidar unless you equip it with a laser jammer (yes, they are legal against Lidar), but will run another $800+.

My opinion, just keep your speed down or pay the consequences if caught.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

The general take on lidar/laser detection is that since the beam is supposed to
be pencil thin, that even laser detectors will only tell you that you have just been tagged.

However, the Valentine One has ID'd laser in operation to me while I'm in the rightmost lane,
when the LEO appears to be targeting vehicles in the leftmost lane. It seems that either the
officer is not totally steady while shooting the laser, or there is in fact some "scatter", like the
scatter that radar emits.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

dev_null
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dev_null »

My daughter....19 yo, and somewhat of a leadfoot, got stopped by IPD on 114 for going 70+ in a 60.
For a moment, I read that as going 114 in a 60. :shock:
"I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it."
GOA life member
JPFO life member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

dev_null wrote:
My daughter....19 yo, and somewhat of a leadfoot, got stopped by IPD on 114 for going 70+ in a 60.
For a moment, I read that as going 114 in a 60. :shock:
:oops: Me too!
NRA Endowment Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:The general take on lidar/laser detection is that since the beam is supposed to
be pencil thin, that even laser detectors will only tell you that you have just been tagged.

However, the Valentine One has ID'd laser in operation to me while I'm in the rightmost lane,
when the LEO appears to be targeting vehicles in the leftmost lane. It seems that either the
officer is not totally steady while shooting the laser, or there is in fact some "scatter", like the
scatter that radar emits.

SIA
The issue is they have to target another vehicle that is at an angle where you will get the scatter far enough ahead of reaching the point where the officer targets you. A good liar officer will pick and choose his targets and you will get hit if you are the fastest visible target and your goose is cooked.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gigag04 »

Liar = Lidar I'm guessing?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

gigag04 wrote:Liar = Lidar I'm guessing?
Yes. Stupid autocorrect :grumble
Keith

barstoolguru

Post by barstoolguru »

Irving likes 635 because its open and the roadway has big shoulders for cops safety
As far as your speed; speedometers are not always accurate at high speeds and can fluctuate a couple of mph. this is why they don't write tickets under 10 mph over the speed limit
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

barstoolguru wrote:Irving likes 635 because its open and the roadway has big shoulders for cops safety
As far as your speed; speedometers are not always accurate at high speeds and can fluctuate a couple of mph. this is why they don't write tickets under 10 mph over the speed limit
I have seen tickets frequently written during saturation days for between 5 & 10 over
Keith

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:The general take on lidar/laser detection is that since the beam is supposed to
It has been a while since I looked at lidar or was trained in it, but pencil thin was only true compared to radar. The laser puts out a beam that expands to 3 feet wide at 100 yards. That keeps it pretty much on a single car target. Compare that to a radar gun that covers 40 feet at the same distance. That is covering three lanes of highway.
Steve Rothstein

RSJ

Post by RSJ »

It is a longshot but see if the court has taken judicial notice of the particular Lidar device.
NRA Member

speedsix

Post by speedsix »

Keith B wrote:
barstoolguru wrote:Irving likes 635 because its open and the roadway has big shoulders for cops safety
I have seen tickets frequently written during saturation days for between 5 & 10 over
...they've had news stories within the last two years of writing for 2-3 miles over...in some jurisdictions...can't count on the grace anymore...

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPBrown »

speedsix wrote:
Keith B wrote:
...they've had news stories within the last two years of writing for 2-3 miles over...in some jurisdictions...can't count on the grace anymore...
Wife got stopped in Grand Prairie a couple of weeks ago for 53 in a 50 on Belt Line.

As for the Op's situation, I know a few Irving motor cops. They have told me several times that more times than not they will give warnings if its not over 10. They also know walking up to the car if it will be a warning or citation. However, the persons attitude can easily change that.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

RPBrown wrote: Wife got stopped in Grand Prairie a couple of weeks ago for 53 in a 50 on Belt Line.

As for the Op's situation, I know a few Irving motor cops. They have told me several times that more times than not they will give warnings if its not over 10. They also know walking up to the car if it will be a warning or citation. However, the persons attitude can easily change that.
I didn't know there was any place on Belt Line that was 50 mph.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”