My first encounter with CHL

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 3

Re: My first encounter with CHL

Post by anygunanywhere »

gemini wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:The level of my remorse at using a motorcycle and rider as a speed bump is indirectly proportional to the stupidity of their actions while in front of me should something go wrong with their poorly chosen risky behavior.

Mrs. Anygun and I had this very discussion as we watched a stunt idjit on I-45 southbound on our way to Galveston one afternoon.

Anygunanywhere
...and if something should go wrong with your inept driving skills? Your level of remorse would be what?
None? Because you just ran over a man who will never go home to his kids, his wife, his family again.
Rider's fault or not. I don't see the humor in your post, or was it just bravado from someone who's never
seen a motorcycle fatality? Have a nice day.
Thank you. I will have a nice day. My inept driving skills when a stupid stunt rider lays it down in front of me? Please stop.

I have seen motorcycle fatalities. I was a paramedic for 12 years.

To each his own. I take it you are a motorcycle fan. Good for you. In my world a person is responsible for their actions whether it be stupid behavior with a motorcycle or with a firearm. Just because someone is stupid to the point of dying does not warrant remorse on my part. Sorry, but life just does not work that way.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

sugar land dave
Posts in topic: 2

Post by sugar land dave »

gemini wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:The level of my remorse at using a motorcycle and rider as a speed bump is indirectly proportional to the stupidity of their actions while in front of me should something go wrong with their poorly chosen risky behavior.

Mrs. Anygun and I had this very discussion as we watched a stunt idjit on I-45 southbound on our way to Galveston one afternoon.

Anygunanywhere
...and if something should go wrong with your inept driving skills? Your level of remorse would be what?
None? Because you just ran over a man who will never go home to his kids, his wife, his family again.
Rider's fault or not. I don't see the humor in your post, or was it just bravado from someone who's never
Did you ever see the photo of the t-boned sedan of the family of four killed when a motorcycle struck them at over 130 mph? What about their right not to have to be killed by an idiot breaking the driving law? I rode motorcycle for years, year-round in Seattle. That does not give me a right to preach to auto drivers who just want to go down the road without someone putting them in more danger than normal. A person's right to do stupid things ends when it places others in imminent danger.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

WildBill
Posts in topic: 10

Post by WildBill »

C-dub wrote:It's a form of road rage and the person that would do this doesn't think about the consequences. They just act out of rage.
I never really thought about that. It seems a bit extreme, but I am not prone to road rage.
NRA Endowment Member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

The other issue is that a motorcyclist whipping in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed can startle a or doing a motorists and can cause them to either swerve or react in another way counter to just staying the course. Goes for cars doing this also, but the motorcycles have a tendency to come by much faster and cut closer to the cars.

Also, bikers doing wheelies and other stunts are a distraction and while it may not be that dangerous for the rider, the distraction to the poor driver on the road may just be enough to cause them to loose focus and cause an accident.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

gemini
Posts in topic: 6

Post by gemini »

anygunanywhere wrote:
gemini wrote:

Anygunanywhere
Thank you. I will have a nice day. My inept driving skills when a stupid stunt rider lays it down in front of me? Please stop.

To each his own. I take it you are a motorcycle fan. Good for you. In my world a person is responsible for their actions whether it be stupid behavior with a motorcycle or with a firearm. Just because someone is stupid to the point of dying does not warrant remorse on my part. Sorry, but life just does not work that way.

Anygunanywhere
Yea, right. But "using a motorcycle and rider as a speed bump"..... that's on you.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 10

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:The other issue is that a motorcyclist whipping in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed can startle a or doing a motorists and can cause them to either swerve or react in another way counter to just staying the course. Goes for cars doing this also, but the motorcycles have a tendency to come by much faster and cut closer to the cars.
I have been startled by motorcycles passing me at 100MPH, while I am going 65MPH. I can see it causing someone to swerve or react, but this is different than opening your door to hit a motorcyclist.
NRA Endowment Member

gemini

Post by gemini »

sugar land dave wrote:
gemini wrote:

Anygunanywhere
Did you ever see the photo of the t-boned sedan of the family of four killed when a motorcycle struck them at over 130 mph? What about their right not to have to be killed by an idiot breaking the driving law? I rode motorcycle for years, year-round in Seattle. That does not give me a right to preach to auto drivers who just want to go down the road without someone putting them in more danger than normal. A person's right to do stupid things ends when it places others in imminent danger.
Yes, I have seen a photo of a motorcycle inserted into a car from a high speed crash. I agree it was stupid on the cyclists part. Terrible.
But, in the majority of instances, motorcycle riders are involved in traffic accidents/fatalities due to the driving errors caused by others.
My point in all this is not to defend sportbikes, or riders acting crazy..... it's to get those who do not ride to pay more attention to others on
the road. As a rider, I also don't want a auto driver putting me in more danger than normal. A persons right to do stupid things (like texting
while driving, turning left in front of oncoming traffic without looking twice, tailgating etc etc) ends when it places others in danger. I agree.
I ride a touring bike. A bagger. I don't do wheelies, cut in and out of traffic, drive 130mph. I simply want to get to my destination without
getting killed by a auto/truck driver that is not paying atention.

gemini

Post by gemini »

Keith B wrote:The other issue is that a motorcyclist whipping in and out of traffic at a high rate of speed can startle a or doing a motorists and can cause them to either swerve or react in another way counter to just staying the course. Goes for cars doing this also, but the motorcycles have a tendency to come by much faster and cut closer to the cars.

Also, bikers doing wheelies and other stunts are a distraction and while it may not be that dangerous for the rider, the distraction to the poor driver on the road may just be enough to cause them to loose focus and cause an accident.
A siren from an emergency vehicle, flashing lights on a wrecker, road construction, someone tail gating; all distractions to a driver. Probably make me concentrate harder on the task at hand, driving. However, I doubt they would make me loose control and cause an accident. But, I guess it could happen.

edit: I'm done. I have to go back to work.

talltex
Posts in topic: 2

Post by talltex »

Absolutley! I agree wholeheartedly that these staged stunt bike events are illegal, wrong, foolish, and dangerous to everyone else on the road (including themselves).
However, the deputy that stopped the guy and arrested him for "obstructed license plate" went way over the line. I'd encourage anyone who doubts it to watch the entire 11 minute video that the guy's helmet cam is recording AND listen to what the deputy says and his behavior when he gets frustrated. When he first approaches, the rider asks why he was pulled over..." was I doing anything wrong?" The deputy says "the whole bunch of you". Moore says "not them..me..individually...was I doing anything wrong? Why did you stop me?" The officer says " You're being pulled over because I'm going to take your camera and it's going to be used as evidence against crimes by other bikers". The rider (chris moore) says "I haven't committed any crime and you can't just take my personal property." The deputy who is looking at his license and registration papers while standing at the rear of the bike, says "ok, ok fine...I've gotta check these papers" and goes to the patrol car. He stays in the patrol car for over 3 minutes talking on radio until a DPD patrol unit rolls up as the Deputy exits car and tells Moore he's under arrest for having an obstructed license plate and to put his hands behind his back. Moore is protesting saying "you've gotta be kidding me, I didn't do anything" and the Deputy yells at him as he shoves him down onto the car and cuffs him and telling him to "shut up...just shut up" and one of the two DPD officers is shown grinning and is heard telling him to " shut up" also. The deputy keeps saying (loudly) "how do I get this (the helmet with the camera) off here, and one of the DPD officers says I can show you how to do it. As they are all moving behind the bike to put Moore in the car, he is protesting saying "there's nothing wrong with the plate...look at it...you can read it just fine", as he reads off the numbers while one of the DPD officers is shown grinning, before he and the other DPD officer suddenly start jogging up the frontage road away from their car for an unknown reason, about a 100 yards, out of sight into some landscaping trees bordering a parking lot and aren't seen again. The Deputy is angry and yells at Moore to "get in..get in there" and shoves him roughly into the patrol car while yelling at him and slams the door so hard it bounces back and he slams it again. The channel 8 report said that the Deputy was not present when the "stunting activities" that were shown by the police dashcam occurred, and that this arrest took place about 15 minutes later. As the former Dallas prosecutor said in a Channel 8 interview, "you can understand their (the police) frustration, but the Constitution trumps frustration every time, you just can't stop someone and seize personal property without a real good reason AND a warrant. :nono:
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

talltex wrote:

Absolutley! I agree wholeheartedly that these staged stunt bike events are illegal, wrong, foolish, and dangerous to everyone else on the road (including themselves).

However, the deputy that stopped the guy and arrested him for "obstructed license plate" went way over the line. I'd encourage anyone who doubts it to watch the entire 11 minute video that the guy's helmet cam is recording AND listen to what the deputy says and his behavior when he gets frustrated. When he first approaches, the rider asks why he was pulled over..." was I doing anything wrong?" The deputy says "the whole bunch of you". Moore says "not them..me..individually...was I doing anything wrong? Why did you stop me?" The officer says " You're being pulled over because I'm going to take your camera and it's going to be used as evidence against crimes by other bikers". The rider (chris moore) says "I haven't committed any crime and you can't just take my personal property." The deputy who is looking at his license and registration papers while standing at the rear of the bike, says "ok, ok fine...I've gotta check these papers" and goes to the patrol car. He stays in the patrol car for over 3 minutes talking on radio until a DPD patrol unit rolls up as the Deputy exits car and tells Moore he's under arrest for having an obstructed license plate and to put his hands behind his back. Moore is protesting saying "you've gotta be kidding me, I didn't do anything" and the Deputy yells at him as he shoves him down onto the car and cuffs him and telling him to "shut up...just shut up" and one of the two DPD officers is shown grinning and is heard telling him to " shut up" also. The deputy keeps saying (loudly) "how do I get this (the helmet with the camera) off here, and one of the DPD officers says I can show you how to do it. As they are all moving behind the bike to put Moore in the car, he is protesting saying "there's nothing wrong with the plate...look at it...you can read it just fine", as he reads off the numbers while one of the DPD officers is shown grinning, before he and the other DPD officer suddenly start jogging up the frontage road away from their car for an unknown reason, about a 100 yards, out of sight into some landscaping trees bordering a parking lot and aren't seen again. The Deputy is angry and yells at Moore to "get in..get in there" and shoves him roughly into the patrol car while yelling at him and slams the door so hard it bounces back and he slams it again. The channel 8 report said that the Deputy was not present when the "stunting activities" that were shown by the police dashcam occurred, and that this arrest took place about 15 minutes later. As the former Dallas prosecutor said in a Channel 8 interview, "you can understand their (the police) frustration, but the Constitution trumps frustration every time, you just can't stop someone and seize personal property without a real good reason AND a warrant. :nono:
That's one event, a misuse of power by the officers, and the one guy probably got a good settlement from DPD.

Bottom line, don't do the stupid tricks and other illegal things that draw attention to you on a bike, in a car or truck and you should be able to stay out of trouble.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

hi-power
Posts in topic: 1

Post by hi-power »

I've had the bad luck to be stuck behind a group of motorcycle stunt riders. I called the police because we were on a highway in my hometown and they had traffic slowed down to a dangerously low rate. I hate having to suddenly reduce speed on a highway because the guy behind me might not be paying close attention. The police never caught them.

I believe they are a group of weekend thrill seekers who just finished doing whatever it is they do for fun in a large empty parking lot north of D/FW airport. I have no complaints about them doing it on private property, but they continued it once they were on the public highway.

I think the officer in the video was taking out his frustrations of so rarely ever catching these groups in the act. Once he caught someone he believed to be part of the group that got away, he over-reached by arresting him. The officer in the OP's post might have had similar frustrations which could explain why he was not so friendly. But at least he knew not to over-react. Just a thought.

thenick_ttu
Posts in topic: 1

Post by thenick_ttu »

regarding the helmet cam video... I certainly understand where the cop is coming from and deep down inside I'm somewhat happy that he's trying to stop these fools but the way he went about it was completely wrong and unacceptable. He should have thought about what he was doing and what he was going to say before he jumped out of his car. He certainly didn't think before he spoke.

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

gemini wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
gemini wrote:

Anygunanywhere

Anygunanywhere
Yea, right. But "using a motorcycle and rider as a speed bump"..... that's on you.
Yes it is.

One more thing. If someone has kids, a wife, and family he should care about them to the point where he does not do stupid stunts. Stupid stunts illustrate that he does not care about them. In the final analysis, why should I care if he does not?

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

gemini

Post by gemini »

anygunanywhere wrote:
gemini wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:
gemini wrote:

Anygunanywhere

Anygunanywhere
Yes it is.

One more thing. If someone has kids, a wife, and family he should care about them to the point where he does not do stupid stunts. Stupid stunts illustrate that he does not care about them. In the final analysis, why should I care if he does not?

Anygunanywhere
It seems you are trying to defend running over a rider. Justification? The rider did something stupid, though not necessarily against the law.
Nice.
I'm trying to get drivers to be aware of motorcycles. Look twice etc. Safety from both sides. We obviously have two different objectives.
In the final analysis, no one can make you care about anything.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Stop the personal attacks NOW. :nono:
Keith

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”