My first encounter with CHL

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
nyj
Posts in topic: 9

Re: My first encounter with CHL

Post by nyj »

flb_78 wrote:DFW is having a bad time with sport bike riders. There's a large group that likes to get on the interstate and slow traffic down to walking speeds and "Stunt" on the road in front of the traffic.

Im surprised you were able to ride away with only a ticket for expired inspection.

Yes, riding a wheelie is a good way to go to Jail nowadays.
I know all about those tools. I am in no way apart of a group like that. I don't even ride sportbikes anymore. I do, however, love to wheelie. Kids love it, too...which is why I do it half the time.

gringo pistolero
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gringo pistolero »

It sounds like a good idea to be apart from them. Far apart.
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 4

Post by E.Marquez »

WildBill wrote:
C-dub wrote:
nyj wrote:I don't think you read my post quite right.
Wheelie?
So it's against the law to have your front wheel leave the ground?
If the LEO considers it reckless.. YES.
§ 545.401. RECKLESS DRIVING; OFFENSE.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person drives a vehicle in wilful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property.

(b) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by:

(1) a fine not to exceed $200;
(2) confinement in county jail for not more than 30 days; or
(3) both the fine and the confinement.
One LEO will smile and suggest you not do that again, another will cite you for "something" and say next time, you get both tickets........and another will scream and yell that your actions were unsafe and could have caused and accident, you will be jailed, bike sized, ect.. sometimes they say that for good cause (stunters on the freeway at speed with other vehicles around) and sometimes it's just attitude and personal issues.. (coming away from a stop light, and the wheel lifts for a foot or two with no vehicles adjacent or behind.. yes it happened to me, yes I easily and successfully demonstrated to the judge, what I actually did vice what was "reported" and cited for was much different, and reality was I was not being reckless, said citations were thrown out and LEO was reprimanded for his lack of judgment… and wasting the courts time.)
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

flb_78 wrote:DFW is having a bad time with sport bike riders. There's a large group that likes to get on the interstate and slow traffic down to walking speeds and "Stunt" on the road in front of the traffic.

Im surprised you were able to ride away with only a ticket for expired inspection.

Tailgate them with your horn on continuously. :smilelol5:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
nyj

Post by nyj »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

Tailgate them with your horn on continuously. :smilelol5:
Then they shoot at you. Happened to a guy a few years back who tried to break through their barricade that they made on the highway.

Topic author
nyj

Post by nyj »

bronco78 wrote:(coming away from a stop light, and the wheel lifts for a foot or two with no vehicles adjacent or behind.. )
Well, mine was a full blown wheelie down the street. :evil2:

Your name isn't Erik, is it?

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

nyj wrote:
bronco78 wrote:(coming away from a stop light, and the wheel lifts for a foot or two with no vehicles adjacent or behind.. )
Well, mine was a full blown wheelie down the street. :evil2:

Your name isn't Erik, is it?
Depends... does "Erik" owe you money?
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

Topic author
nyj

Post by nyj »

No, but he owes me a supermoto ride.

emcee rib
Posts in topic: 2

Post by emcee rib »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Tailgate them with your horn on continuously. :smilelol5:
That was you? :banghead:
We declare our right on this earth to be a man, to be a human being, to be respected as a human being, to be given the rights of a human being in this society, on this earth, in this day, which we intend to bring into existence by any means necessary.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Wheelies and lane splitting are two things that motorcyclists do that are not explicitly forbidden under Texas law but sometimes get people tickets or arrested anyway. The problem, in my opinion, is that the law on reckless driving is written so vaguely that anything can be charged as reckless driving, even if it violates no other law. Is a wheelie wilful and wanton disregard for safety? Note that the law, as was quoted, does not mention others. If it is dangerous to yourself, it is an offense. Under that concept, isn't riding a motorcycle in and of itself reckless? Isn't driving in traffic?

While I don't condone the action of the sport bike group mentioned, it would seem to me that they have conclusive proof that they were not driving recklessly. They slowed down all of the other traffic to be able to do their stunts safely. They should be written tickets for impeding the flow of traffic, but not arrested for reckless driving.
Steve Rothstein

RSJ

Post by RSJ »

I want to say §545.420 or possibly §545.402 of the TX transp. code would get someone for a wheelie depending on the circumstances. I could be wrong.
NRA Member

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

nyj wrote:No, but he owes me a supermoto ride.
ahh, ya, life has gotten in the way of that build.. but I started again this week... :biggrinjester:

WildBill
Posts in topic: 10

Post by WildBill »

srothstein wrote:Wheelies and lane splitting are two things that motorcyclists do that are not explicitly forbidden under Texas law but sometimes get people tickets or arrested anyway.
I have been told thta lane splitting was against the law in Texas. In California it is not, and it is not unusual for motorcycles to go between traffic. What was very surprising to me was during the Rita evacuation the traffic on I45 was stop and go for miles and miles. [I was stuck for 13 hrs and traveled 32 miles and burned half a tank of gas.] I never understood why the motorcycle riders didn't ride between the cars rather than standing still idling and buring gas.. I would think that even if an LEO could catch them they wouldn't give them a ticket for doing it during this situation.
NRA Endowment Member

RSJ

Post by RSJ »

WildBill wrote:
srothstein wrote:Wheelies and lane splitting are two things that motorcyclists do that are not explicitly forbidden under Texas law but sometimes get people tickets or arrested anyway.
I have been told thta lane splitting was against the law in Texas. In California it is not, and it is not unusual for motorcycles to go between traffic. What was very surprising to me was during the Rita evacuation the traffic on I45 was stop and go for miles and miles. [I was stuck for 13 hrs and traveled 32 miles and burned half a tank of gas.] I never understood why the motorcycle riders didn't ride between the cars rather than standing still idling and buring gas.. I would think that even if an LEO could catch them they wouldn't give them a ticket for doing it during this situation.
Wow! I would go crazy with 3 MPH for 13 hrs! :tiphat:
NRA Member

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Wheelies and lane splitting are two things that motorcyclists do that are not explicitly forbidden under Texas law but sometimes get people tickets or arrested anyway.
Neither are specifically mentioned in PC or Trans code that I have seen or read..., but are actions cited against using other existing laws..
§ 545.401. RECKLESS DRIVING; OFFENSE for wheelies.
and
§ 545.060, entitled "Driving on Roadway Laned for Traffic." for lane splitting.

One of our LEO's here would know better then I, as my data group is VERY small compared to those that do this for a living.
From the DPS site...
Q: Can I ride my motorcycle between cars in traffic?
A: The law doesn't specifically say one way or the other, but there are several statutes that may come to bear depending upon the circumstances, i.e. right of way, obligation to drive in a single lane, signal intention, passing with safety, etc. Motorcycles are considered equally as cars regarding traffic laws, so the single lane, signal intention and other statutes in the Transportation Code could come in to play.

The main statute that makes "lane splitting" illegal is Transportation Code Section 545.060, entitled "Driving on Roadway Laned for Traffic."
An operator on a roadway divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic:
shall drive as nearly practical entirely within a single lane; and
may not move from the lane unless that movement can be made safely.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”