My first encounter with CHL

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
nyj
Posts in topic: 9

My first encounter with CHL

Post by nyj »

I was out riding my motorcycle and did something a little stupid (hey, I have a hooligan bike), and unbeknownst to me, a State Trooper saw me. I pulled over, and off the bat, he in all honesty was a complete jerk. Chest puffed out, no greeting, and very quick to tell me I was probably going to jail.

I kept my mouth shut, I was very respectful, and handed him my license and CHL, although I wasn't carrying at the time. He didn't even inquire about whether or not I had a gun on me, and at no time seemed uneasy when I sat out of his view behind my bike. He didn't even ask for insurance.

He came back with his ticket book, and after a well worded speech that next time my bike would be made into a golf cart, he handed me a citation for expired inspection. I was in shock. It's always been rumored that CHL's MAY get you off the hook, and I may be likely to agree in this instance.

He very much misplaced my CHL on his belt, and would have forgotten to give it back to me if I hadn't asked for it back. I thanked the officer and went on my way with a big grin on my face. I was 99% sure I was going to jail.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 10

Re: My first encounter with CHL

Post by WildBill »

nyj wrote:I was 99% sure I was going to jail.
For an expired registration?
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
nyj

Post by nyj »

I don't think you read my post quite right.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 6

Post by C-dub »

nyj wrote:I don't think you read my post quite right.
Wheelie?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I read the part about doing something stupid and having a hooligan bike, but I don't know exactly what you did that could have led to an arrest.
NRA Endowment Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

C-dub wrote:
Wheelie?
So it's against the law to have your front wheel leave the ground?
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
nyj

Post by nyj »

Reckless driving. Rode a wheelie right past him. Whoops.

Expired inspection, btw.

Topic author
nyj

Post by nyj »

WildBill wrote:
C-dub wrote:
Wheelie?
Not in Texas, but they can still stick you with reckless.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

WildBill wrote:
C-dub wrote:
Wheelie?
I think it's called "reckless", but it might also have to do with how long it's off the ground and or where you're doing it. However, that was just my guess. I don't know what he was doing that was just "a little stupid."
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

nyj wrote:
WildBill wrote:
C-dub wrote:
Wheelie?
Not in Texas, but they can still stick you with reckless.
So I guess you did luck out.
NRA Endowment Member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

nyj wrote:Reckless driving. Rode a wheelie right past him. Whoops.

Expired inspection, btw.
Oops. There it is. Nailed it! :nono:

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

C-dub wrote:
nyj wrote:Reckless driving. Rode a wheelie right past him. Whoops.

Expired inspection, btw.
Oops. There it is. Nailed it! :nono:
It doesn't seem like popping a wheelie, in itself, is necessarily reckless. I drive only cars and try to keep all four tires on the ground at all times. ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

flb_78
Posts in topic: 1

Post by flb_78 »

DFW is having a bad time with sport bike riders. There's a large group that likes to get on the interstate and slow traffic down to walking speeds and "Stunt" on the road in front of the traffic.

Im surprised you were able to ride away with only a ticket for expired inspection.

Yes, riding a wheelie is a good way to go to Jail nowadays.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

WildBill wrote:It doesn't seem like popping a wheelie, in itself, is necessarily reckless. I drive only cars and try to keep all four tires on the ground at all times. ;-)
It may not be for NYJ, but it certainly is for me. I also had a hooligan bike, Hayabusa, but I could never ride a wheelie on it or any other bike I've ever had including my dirt bikes. A Hayabusa isn't really a bike known for that, though. My thing was speed. It was necessarily dangerous for me to ride 130+ either, but do it around others going 60-70 and it becomes VERY dangerous.

One time, in the 80's when I was in the Navy, as I approached the exit to my base I noticed a line of cones in an arc. It was a drunk check before exiting the base. No problem, I just got off work and was heading somewhere. I don't remember where. So, I'm on a motorcycle and see a line of cones, well space out, what do you think I did? I weaved around them without hitting one and the guard stops me and tells me to pull over to the side. He questions me and does a FST and concludes that I'm not drunk, but wants to know why I did that. I explained and then he points out the other row of cones for the cages to stay between. I didn't even see the other row of cones. They gave me a base citation for reckless driving. I mildly argued that there was nothing reckless about what I did and would like to know if he could do it or if he thought that anyone impaired could do it without dropping the bike or hitting a cone. He just starred at me and told me to be on my way.

RSJ
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RSJ »

flb_78 wrote:DFW is having a bad time with sport bike riders. There's a large group that likes to get on the interstate and slow traffic down to walking speeds and "Stunt" on the road in front of the traffic.

Im surprised you were able to ride away with only a ticket for expired inspection.

Yes, riding a wheelie is a good way to go to Jail nowadays.
Thursday and Saturday nights. The large group seems to alternate 75/635/DNT and Sam Ray to avoid detection.
Many of them are reckless, I try to get out of the way.
NRA Member

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”