Jetblue screwed up

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
olafpfj
Posts in topic: 3

Jetblue screwed up

Post by olafpfj »

Just finished talking to the Broward county sheriff. The ticket agent put the declaration in with the pistol. I was paged to the counter and met by 2 deputies. I knew it had to be related to my pistol but couldn't figure what I did wrong. They asked if I had declared it,which of course I had. They asked for the key but its a combo which I gave them. They said so so long as they find the declaration tag in there I'm GTG.

I'll let you all know when my heart stops racing!!!
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

ELB
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Jetblue screwed up

Post by ELB »

Interesting. First I have heard of that happening (being called to check declaration of gun in checked bag).

I have had ticket agents tell me to put the declaration form inside the pistol case, outside the pistol case but inside my suitcase, sometimes they have taped the decl form to the pistol case, sometimes just say "leave it on top"....
USAF 1982-2005

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Isn't that the 'hanging chad' county?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

The ticket agent also neglected to have TSA check my bag. I've been in such a daze all day due to my mother in law I didn't catch that. Basically what ended up happening is that they found a pistol in my luggage and had to straighten it out. Once they figured out the ticket agent totally blew it and checked the declaration in the pistol case it was all good. I was assured the agent will be getting a talking to.
"If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law." -Winston Churchill

johnson0317
Posts in topic: 2

Post by johnson0317 »

olafpfj wrote: They asked for the key but its a combo which I gave them.
Glad it turned out well for you! I kept the above quote because I believe you should not have done that. The case should have been opened only by you. The TSA, nor law enforcement, have permission to have the keys or combo. They are not to open it in your absence, or in your presence...only you are to open it.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

Suuuure, I hear this the day after I book my first JetBlue flight... ;-)

Oh well, it's after a cruise and leaving from NYC so I doubt I'll be carrying a gun :biggrinjester:
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Topic author
olafpfj

Post by olafpfj »

johnson0317 wrote:
Glad it turned out well for you! I kept the above quote because I believe you should not have done that. The case should have been opened only by you. The TSA, nor law enforcement, have permission to have the keys or combo. They are not to open it in your absence, or in your presence...only you are to open it.

RJ
I thought about that at the time but I was making an emergency flight to California to see my mother in law before she passed away. I was in an extremely emotional state and could scarcely think straight. Butting heads with the Broward County Sheriff was not on my list of things I could handle at that point so I just rolled the dice and hoped fir the best. Everything arrived safe and sound in LA. I noticed that the striker was still decocked so they never checked the chamber or handled the pistol it seems.

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

johnson0317 wrote:

RJ
In my post about flying out of Indy I told that there the bag is sent down with all the other bags but at some point is diverted for a TSA check. When they swabbed my gun case it alerted. The called me to the supervisor booth and asked for my keys. I said that I thought I was supposed to open it and they replied that I wasn't allowed back there. Now, I figured I had two choices: give them the keys or stand there and argue for four hours until my flight left.

I guess there was a third. Leave without my luggage and three guns.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

olafpfj wrote:
johnson0317 wrote:

RJ
I thought about that at the time but I was making an emergency flight to California to see my mother in law before she passed away. I was in an extremely emotional state and could scarcely think straight. Butting heads with the Broward County Sheriff was not on my list of things I could handle at that point so I just rolled the dice and hoped fir the best. Everything arrived safe and sound in LA. I noticed that the striker was still decocked so they never checked the chamber or handled the pistol it seems.
It's a good thing you didn't tell them it was an emergency. You'd probably have been delayed indefinitely.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

johnson0317
Posts in topic: 2

Post by johnson0317 »

Not saying I would not have done the same thing in that situation. Things rarely go down the way you think they should in your mind, and your mind was at loose ends. Like the saying goes...all's well that ends well.

RJ
CHL Received 5/16/11
Proud Member NRA
Proud Member Texas Concealed Handgun Association
Proud Member Second Amendment Foundation
Proud Member of The Truth Squad founded by Tom Gresham. "A lie left unchallenged becomes the truth"

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”