Houston: ISD cop accused of kickback scheme

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

rp_photo
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Houston: ISD cop accused of kickback scheme

Post by rp_photo »

seamusTX wrote:
rp_photo wrote:How is the public supposed to know that other than taking their word for it?
I don't know. I really don't. And I think bogus and crooked cops are a significant problem.

There was a real cop here who was raping women that he stopped for traffic violations. He was convicted of kidnapping:
http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=12912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim
The more redundant LEO agencies, the more the opportunity for criminals to capitalize on the confusion and citizens to assume real officers are fake.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 8

Re: Houston: ISD cop accused of kickback scheme

Post by seamusTX »

One of the problems in Houston, which is at the root of this specific thread, is unofficial organizations such as shopping malls and neighborhood associations hiring "off duty" LEOs for patrol duties.

In the best of all possible worlds, this practice would allow skilled LEOs to spend more time "on the street" preventing crime, at no additional cost to the taxpayers.

Unfortunately, it also allows officers with less than perfect standards to do their worst. Some police chiefs have prohibited off-duty overtime because it puts their agencies at risk of liability (using agency authority and often equipment).

I don't know if this is more widespread in Houston than elsewhere, but Houston is the most populous city in Texas and extends into three counties. If you see a gumball rack behind you at night, you don't know if it's Houston PD, Harris, Montgomery, or Fort Bend County, a constable deputy, or what.

- Jim

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”