DPS North Austin

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
tamc9395

DPS North Austin

Post by tamc9395 »

Recently was pulled over by DPS on US 183 frontage road. Someone was in my blind spot as started to make a lane change and DPS was behind me a few cars. Needless to say, I was stopped and I was asked if I saw him. He already said I was just going to a warning when he walked up, but had to run it through it still. All the while, I was looking through my wallet for my CHL since I was carrying. I handed him my DL and told him I had my CHL but it was buried in my wallet. Basically asked if i was carrying and where, I responded and we moved on. I never handed him my CHL, so I assume he already had it from my tags. Very courteous officer and we were all quickly about our day. The only thing I still find strange was that he never asked to see my CHL (which I found while he was writing up the warning).

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Re: DPS North Austin

Post by carlson1 »

Your license plates are NOT connected to your CHL. However your drivers license are connected.

TexasGal
Posts in topic: 3

Post by TexasGal »

Had a LEO tell me while the tags are not connected, it's an easy thing to run the tag, get the owner and dl and bingo, there's the CHL. It just takes longer. Any LEO's on here please correct me if that's incorrect.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

You have to have a DOB to go with the name to pull up DL or CHL. License plate alone tells you the owner of the vehicle and insurance.

talltex

Post by talltex »

tamc9395 wrote: I handed him my DL and told him I had my CHL but it was buried in my wallet. Basically asked if i was carrying and where, I responded and we moved on. I never handed him my CHL, so I assume he already had it from my tags. Very courteous officer and we were all quickly about our day. The only thing I still find strange was that he never asked to see my CHL (which I found while he was writing up the warning).
I don't really see it as strange from his perspective...you told him you had a CHL but couldn't locate it. Why would anyone volunteer that info if they didn't have it...by telling him that, you have assured he's going to then ask if you are carrying, but regardless of whether you have it or not, you are allowed to carry in your car under the MPA anyway. He was satisfied that you were telling the truth and when you found it wasn't concerned about it enough to want to see it.
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

carlson1 wrote:You have to have a DOB to go with the name to pull up DL or CHL. License plate alone tells you the owner of the vehicle and insurance.
Ah, thanks for the clarification. Hmm, wonder why I was told differently. Good to know since this is a regular question.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Topic author
tamc9395

Post by tamc9395 »

Perhaps it is time for a refresher for me. I thought you were REQUIRED to show your CHL if you were carrying and that it was not optional. That was the strange part for me. Otherwise the rest of it was KUDO's to the officer for a stopping me for an unintended infraction and being very professional.

talltex

Post by talltex »

tamc9395 wrote:Perhaps it is time for a refresher for me. I thought you were REQUIRED to show your CHL if you were carrying and that it was not optional. That was the strange part for me. Otherwise the rest of it was KUDO's to the officer for a stopping me for an unintended infraction and being very professional.
Yes, the law requires you to show it...although there's no penalty for failure to do so...but, in many cases, common sense trumps strict interpretation of the law, and in your situation, I think that's what the officer did. He believed what you said, and took a "no harm , no foul" view of the circumstances and didn't make an issue of it. Props to him handling it in an intelligent and reasonable manner. :thumbs2:
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JP171 »

carlson1 wrote:You have to have a DOB to go with the name to pull up DL or CHL. License plate alone tells you the owner of the vehicle and insurance.

I also have to question this as I have been stoped several times and asked BEFORE I produce my DL or CHL if I was carrying, sorry Carlson you may be a LEO but I think your incorrect or the LEO's stopping me are making assumptions as to who I am, and no the stops have been in different places by different officers. once is a fluke twice is coincidence 3 or more times is a fact!

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

JP171 wrote:

I also have to question this as I have been stoped several times and asked BEFORE I produce my DL or CHL if I was carrying, sorry Carlson you may be a LEO but I think your incorrect or the LEO's stopping me are making assumptions as to who I am, and no the stops have been in different places by different officers. once is a fluke twice is coincidence 3 or more times is a fact!
I do know Carlson is correct that they have to run your DL before they can get that info. I think many LEOS are just assuming since it is Texas, and with MPA and CHL, there is a good chance a person may have a weapon in the car.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

JP171 wrote:

If shouldn't be the question.

The correct question is in three parts: 1. How Many? 2. What Kind? 3. Where are they?

THEN ask for DL, CHL & Insurance.

"rlol"
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Birdie

Post by Birdie »

Not a LEO, but I listen to the police scanner a bit. :bigear: I have heard the dispatcher tell an officer attempting to pull a car over, who the *owner* of the car is and if that person is a CHL holder. So if the car is registered to you . . . .

For example, if I'm pulled over driving DH's car, they'll get his name and the fact that he is a CHL before they walk up to the car. Granted, they would find little old me, who would have to hand over both id's . . . .
By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.
Benjamin Franklin

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Birdie wrote:Not a LEO, but I listen to the police scanner a bit. :bigear: I have heard the dispatcher tell an officer attempting to pull a car over, who the *owner* of the car is and if that person is a CHL holder. So if the car is registered to you . . . .

For example, if I'm pulled over driving DH's car, they'll get his name and the fact that he is a CHL before they walk up to the car. Granted, they would find little old me, who would have to hand over both id's . . . .
I have a slight issue with that in the fact I may not be the one driving, it could be my daughter. :grumble
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

You can search all DL records statewide by name, and see the DOBs and cities associated with the ID. Then narrow from there.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

Keith B wrote:
Birdie wrote:Not a LEO, but I listen to the police scanner a bit. :bigear: I have heard the dispatcher tell an officer attempting to pull a car over, who the *owner* of the car is and if that person is a CHL holder. So if the car is registered to you . . . .

I have a slight issue with that in the fact I may not be the one driving, it could be my daughter. :grumble

that's exactly what I was thinking....it could easily be one of my kids, and tonight it probably would be
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”