Carrollton Police Stop

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
LabRat
Posts in topic: 8

Carrollton Police Stop

Post by LabRat »

Was driving to work thru Carrollton on Monday morning.

CPD car pulled up alongside me at a red light. He'd turned behind me back about 1 mile before; but I was not speeding (40 in a 45). Sat at the light till it changed. I moved on and he slid in behind me and lit me up.

Pulled onto a side street. Window down a slight bit, car off, keys on the dash and hands clearly on the steering wheel.

Nice officer. Told me he got a "no confirmation" on insurance on my car. :???:

He asked for and got my ID - DL and CHL (1st time I've had to show it).
He also wanted my Proof of Insurance - gave him that next.

He checked the plate, VIN and then handed it all back to me. No mention on the CHL :thumbs2:

Told me he'd never had a "no confirmation" on a car registered to a large insurance company.

I told him I'd check with my agent. He cut me loose and was gone before I could get my ID and Ins. paper re-stowed.

Checked with my insurance agent that afternoon....he was puzzled; state database had everything on my vehicle. So, not sure what it was all about.

But good outcome on the CHL presentation....no issues whatsoever.

Just like it's supposed to go. Would rather not have gotten stopped. But since it was the first time to show my CHL; I was curious as to how I would be treated.

Nice job Carrollton PD.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

jayinsat
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Carrollton Police Stop

Post by jayinsat »

were you armed? Were you nervous?
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

gigag04
Posts in topic: 4

Post by gigag04 »

Odds are your policy covers a number if cars, and not specific vehicles.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

jayinsat wrote:were you armed? Were you nervous?
Nothing makes Labrat nervous.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

So an incomplete database is probable cause for a stop? :shock:

If that is the case, the police can stop anyone, anytime they want.

"Sir, I stopped you today because my computer isn't working and don't know if you have insurance."
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

This issue was talked about at great length here. And I still disagree with it. I consider it a fishing expedition and nothing more. They didn't pull you over prior to the availability of computerized confirmation when they simply had no idea whether or not you had insurance without a traffic stop. Did anyone ever get pulled over just for that reason before the insurance thing became available in a database over the computer? I think not!
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

JeepGuy79

Post by JeepGuy79 »

LabRat wrote:.........He asked for and got my ID - DL and CHL (1st time I've had to show it)..........

He asked you for your CHL at contact?

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

JeepGuy79 wrote:
LabRat wrote:.........He asked for and got my ID - DL and CHL (1st time I've had to show it)..........

I think it says "he asked for and got my ID - [and I gave him my ] DL and CHL
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Munk

Post by Munk »

Jaguar wrote:So an incomplete database is probable cause for a stop? :shock:

"Sir, I stopped you today because my computer isn't working and don't know if you have insurance."

This makes me nervous... :iagree:
III%

Topic author
LabRat

Post by LabRat »

jayinsat wrote:were you armed? Were you nervous?
Yes, armed. Not nervous. But I was wondering the whole time what was going on.

LabRat
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

Topic author
LabRat

Post by LabRat »

Jaguar wrote:So an incomplete database is probable cause for a stop? :shock:

The officer even said the database is not a legal requirement to have all information, but he justified the stop because it wasn't there and he said that gave him "reasonable suspicion" to pull me over.

I figured the side of the road was no place to debate the topic. I will say the officer was very nice, never asked any other intrusive questions, thanked me for the information. He said "please" and "sir".

Didn't demand or tell me something was my fault.

Me thinks now he was fishing....but I'm not sure what for. I drive a little Pontiac Vibe - nuthin' fancy or fast.

LabRat

Topic author
LabRat

Post by LabRat »

JeepGuy79 wrote:

No, maybe my sentence structure was faulty.

He asked for my ID. (I put a hyphen in there - not the best choice for punctuation)

I gave him my DL and CHL....yes I was armed at the time. He didn't ask for the CHL...probably didn't know I was carrying if previous threads are correct on what's tied to the vehicle plates.

LabRat

Topic author
LabRat

Post by LabRat »

gigag04 wrote:Odds are your policy covers a number if cars, and not specific vehicles.
Now sure how that could work.

My policy lists all my vehicles - Very specific on the makes, models, VIN, etc.

LabRat

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

he probably thought OMG someone is driving a vibe, better pull em over to see if they are embarrassed :biggrinjester: "rlol"

sorry
:cheers2:
your description of the event makes me nervy, sounds like a "i was bored so i pulled over a guy"
maybe it near end of shift and he was killing time so he wouldn't get caught up in another call for service
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Topic author
LabRat

Post by LabRat »

powerboatr wrote:he probably thought OMG someone is driving a vibe, better pull em over to see if they are embarrassed :biggrinjester: "rlol"

sorry
:cheers2:
your description of the event makes me nervy, sounds like a "i was bored so i pulled over a guy"
maybe it near end of shift and he was killing time so he wouldn't get caught up in another call for service
No prob. :lol: I'm not embarrassed...I've owned 3 Vibes over the years....they're a Toyota Matrix with Pontiac trimmings.
I've found them to be reliable with pretty good (but not great) gas mileage.

It was between 0630 and 0700 hrs, so maybe he was the overnight shift getting off at 0700 hrs?
He was with me for about 5 - 6 minutes, max. If he was bored, it ended quickly and he took off.

I didn't eyeball him much when he was beside the car, but I'm sure he gave it the once-over to see if anything was visible.

I answered his questions and volunteered only idle chitchat. He stuck to the "no confirmation on insurance in his database" story. No questions about what firearm I was carrying, where it was or anything.

If he thought I was riff-raff to begin with, he might have probed that topic a bit; but he didn't.

Without further information, I'm putting it down to idle curiosity for the moment. Not what I want to see; but 1 time does not a trend make.

LabRat

LabRat

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”