Brooks County

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Flix89
Posts in topic: 5

Brooks County

Post by Flix89 »

Some clarification would be nice!

I recently had an encounter with a Brooks County LEO. My CHL application is currently in the review phase and as such never carry on my person at anytime. I do however, carry in my vehicle whenever I travel from my county to another for whatever reason. Needless to say I was pulled over for a traffic violation and after handing the LEO my documents I informed him that there was a firearm in the vehicle but not on my person. He then proceeded to tell me that he had 24 years of LE experience and his expertise in the law said that I should not have a firearm in my vehicle as it was illegal. I was under the impression that you could have a firearm in your vehicle in Texas without a CHL. Can someone please clarify?

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Brooks County

Post by WildBill »

Flix89 wrote:Some clarification would be nice!

I recently had an encounter with a Brooks County LEO. My CHL application is currently in the review phase and as such never carry on my person at anytime. I do however, carry in my vehicle whenever I travel from my county to another for whatever reason. Needless to say I was pulled over for a traffic violation and after handing the LEO my documents I informed him that there was a firearm in the vehicle but not on my person. He then proceeded to tell me that he had 24 years of LE experience and his expertise in the law said that I should not have a firearm in my vehicle as it was illegal. I was under the impression that you could have a firearm in your vehicle in Texas without a CHL. Can someone please clarify?
It is legal. Since the LEO thought is was not legal what happened after you informed him about your firearm in the vehicle?
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
Flix89

Post by Flix89 »

WildBill wrote: It is legal. Since the LEO thought is was not legal what happened after you informed him about your firearm in the vehicle?
After I informed him of it, he stated that they always arrested anyone who carried in this manner. He then took the firearm to see if it was not stolen, which it wasn't since I am not a criminal lol. After returning my firearm he told me that it was illegal to have a firearm in the car as traveling from one county to another did not meet the requirements for travelling. He mentioned the Texas Motorist Protection Act but I was under the impression that Texas HB 1815 clarified that misconception.

Teamless

Post by Teamless »

I have to ask why you informed him that you had a weapon in the vehicle?
I didn't see where you said he asked, so did you just feel the need to be up-front about it?
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Topic author
Flix89

Post by Flix89 »

Yes that's the part of the law I may have misinterpreted, I could not remember if you had to inform them of the firearm or if that was privileged information.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Traveling/ crossing counties is pretty much irrelevant now anyway

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/D ... /PE.46.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:

(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or

(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:

(1) the handgun is in plain view; or

(2) the person is:

(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic or boating;

(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or

(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.

(a-3) For purposes of this section, "watercraft" means any boat, motorboat, vessel, or personal watercraft, other than a seaplane on water, used or capable of being used for transportation on water.

(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.
I wouldn't volunteer information unless I was asked
Officer ... I have dried blood drops in the trunk in that carpeting on the floor of the trunk .... but it's just because I cut my finger changing the tire ...
Why volunteer info?

After you are licensed, you are supposed to show your chl to a peace officer when asked for ID by a peace officer, (no penalty if you don't) and not all law enforcement people are peace officers.
Last edited by RPB on Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
Flix89

Post by Flix89 »

Point taken, in hindsight that would have the optimal choice.

zaroffhunts
Posts in topic: 2

Post by zaroffhunts »

Teamless wrote:I have to ask why you informed him that you had a weapon in the vehicle?
:iagree: Concealed means concealed.
RPB wrote:I wouldn't volunteer information unless I was asked
Officer ... I have dried blood drops in the trunk in that carpeting on the floor of the trunk .... but it's just because I cut my finger changing the tire ...
Why volunteer info?
:iagree: One of the first things I leaned in boot camp was don't volunteer!
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man" - Ernest Hemingway

Topic author
Flix89

Post by Flix89 »

That is great advice should I ever find myself in the same situation again.

Thank-You

zaroffhunts

Post by zaroffhunts »

Flix89 wrote:That is great advice should I ever find myself in the same situation again.

Thank-You
By then, your license should arrive, and you will be required to show your CHL when a peace officer asks for ID. :lol:
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man" - Ernest Hemingway

ELB

Post by ELB »

The bad part is not that the OP told the officer he had firearm in the vehicle. The bad part is that an LEO with 24 years experience was so determinedly ignorant about the law. Given subject matter, I see little excuse for this kind of ignorance of a law that has been on the books for years.
USAF 1982-2005

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

Flix89 wrote:Some clarification would be nice!

Wow! Twenty-four years of LE experience and still doesn't know. It's kind of irritating to me to know someone in his position goes off bragging like that and still doesn't have a clue. I wonder what he would have said if you tried to tell him different. I'm sure he wouldn't have had any part of hearing that. :mad5 I'm also wondering why the OP didn't get a ride based on the LEO's experience. Maybe he really does know the law as it currently is and was just trying to keep the OP from carrying a firearm in his motor vehicle. :headscratch
Last edited by tomtexan on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

ELB wrote:The bad part is not that the OP told the officer he had firearm in the vehicle. The bad part is that an LEO with 24 years experience was so determinedly ignorant about the law. Given subject matter, I see little excuse for this kind of ignorance of a law that has been on the books for years.
Absolutely! Why chastise the OP for him volunteering the info? :nono: He was just doing what he thought was right in his mind. Let's focus more on the LEO that was totally wrong with his statement after boasting about his extensive experience. :grumble
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

zaroffhunts wrote:
Teamless wrote:I have to ask why you informed him that you had a weapon in the vehicle?
:iagree: Concealed means concealed.
RPB wrote:I wouldn't volunteer information unless I was asked
Why volunteer info?
:iagree: One of the first things I leaned in boot camp was don't volunteer!
I volunteered twice in boot camp. That got me 9 weeks sitting behind a desk doing nothing while everyone else was out training and four straight weeks of weekend liberty. Sometimes volunteering can work out well.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

Written complaint.

He needs corrective action.

He could arrest the next person, especially of they are the wrong age group, profession, or ethnicity. Someone will find themselves jammed up unless this donut king get some larnin'.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”