Harris County Constable Patrol Contact

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 4

Harris County Constable Patrol Contact

Post by anygunanywhere »

Last Saturday morning (04:00) I had dropped Mrs. Anygun off at her workplace. Days we are heading to our house in La Grange after she gets off work I always drop her off. On the way I saw a constable had a motorist pulled over. Did not think much about it.

On the way home her bichon male (Teddy) indicated he needed to potty in the worst way. This has happened before so I pulled into a car wash and parked in the back. There is a nice grassy area there and he loves to leave his business.

As I pull up a car pulls in behind me. I look in mirror and see that it is the deputy constable. No lights. He does not exit his vehicle right away and I assume he is running my plates. I lower windows, shut car off, and turn on light. Teddy barks because he has to go.

He walks up to vehicle, I have my hands on wheel.

Deputy: "What are you doing??"
Me : "My wife's dog needs to potty."
Deputy: "Where is your wife?"
Me: "I just dropped her off at work over on XXX."
Deputy: "Let me see your ID."
Me: "I am armed and licensed. I am going to reach and get my wallet out of right hip."
Deputy: "Fine. Just give me DL."

All the while he is eyeing the dog. Stinking little furball with low bowel control. She started feeding him some higher fiber food and he craps all the time.

Deputy comes back and hands me my license and says "Have a nice day". He leaves and parks in the median to run more radar.

I let the dog out to do his business.

Interesting morning.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Jaguar
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Harris County Constable Patrol Contact

Post by Jaguar »

Odd, no reason for the stop, just wanted to see your ID? I didn't think we were required to show ID to police unless we are suspected in a crime; were you speeding to attend to your dog's needs?
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

Topic author
anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Jaguar wrote:Odd, no reason for the stop, just wanted to see your ID? I didn't think we were required to show ID to police unless we are suspected in a crime; were you speeding to attend to your dog's needs?
No reason from what I could tell. I had pulled in and stopped when he pulled in behind me. Not a nice neighborhood so mebbe he was hoping for a druggie. I think I disappointed him.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Jaguar wrote:Odd, no reason for the stop, just wanted to see your ID? I didn't think we were required to show ID to police unless we are suspected in a crime; were you speeding to attend to your dog's needs?
No reason from what I could tell. I had pulled in and stopped when he pulled in behind me. Not a nice neighborhood so mebbe he was hoping for a druggie. I think I disappointed him.

Anygunanywhere
Not many people wash their cars at 4:00AM.
NRA Endowment Member

steveincowtown
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by steveincowtown »

WildBill wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote:

Anygunanywhere
Not many people wash their cars at 4:00AM.
True, but that make it suspicious...not illegal. ;-)

Seems like the LEO went ahead and skipped putting any effort in figuring out some pretext for the stop.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

My Dad, a WW11 vet (fought in the Pacific theatre and was part of some extraordinary combat horror) used to tell me with pride, how we as Americans didn't have to tolerate having "our papers" demanded by officialdom, simply because...He stated we didn't HAVE to carry I.D., if we didn't care to, because we're Americans - not some police state country. I guess things have changed...

I have mixed emotions about having my I.D. demanded just because...and I'm a strong supporter of Law Enforcement.

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

Someone needs to have a pointed conversation with that constable about Probable Cause.
I'd consider a letter to her supervisor. I'm not sure who that would be for a constable.
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

What are the laws in Texas about when you have to produce ID and when you don’t? I know if you are not driving and are doing nothing suspicious enough to warrant a Terri Stop you don’t have to show ID. I would presume had Anygun parked in a public rest area at 0400 (less suspicion) no LEO would have asked him for his DL, but if one did, would he be required to show it. Just because you are operating a vehicle do you have to show a DL anytime the police ask, even if you have done nothing wrong?

Just wondering…
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

Rex B

Post by Rex B »

As I understand it, the 4th amendment covers it as defined by SC cases.
Texas law follows that.

IANAL etc
-----------
“Sometimes there is no alternative to uncertainty except to await the arrival of more and better data.” C. Wunsch

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

I articulated suspicious person contacts in similar situations - or the gas station had a criminal trespass affidavit allowing LE to contact anyone on the premises, at any time. Most of the business in our rougher parts of town have CTAs. Might have been a couple things else going on that we could guess at too.

Weird that he didn't say anything about why you are being contacted...
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Depending on the part of town, a Terry stop could be justified by just being on the property at 4am (presumably outside of normal operating hours). Especially since the OP didn't drive into one of the car wash stalls & instead drove to the back.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

When I was a LEO we had a rash of issues with one of the the local car washes being a meet point for drug buys and also for vandalism and theft of the money out of the changers. 4AM at the car wash (not pulled into a stall) is a very valid time for reasonable suspicion.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

Keith B wrote:When I was a LEO we had a rash of issues with one of the the local car washes being a meet point for drug buys and also for vandalism and theft of the money out of the changers. 4AM at the car wash (not pulled into a stall) is a very valid time for reasonable suspicion.
I am a strong advocate of defending my 4A rights and have advocated so on this forum. At the time I had a pretty good idea that I was going to be asked a few questions and knew how far I was going to answer. The officer's facial expressions as I gave my answers told me that he was buying my answers. I was telling the truth. If it had gone further to the point of requesting a search of the car the conversation would have changed. When I told him I was armed and licensed and he only asked for my DL I had a positive impression that it would go no further.

Anygunanywhere

stash

Post by stash »

Well I learned something new here. I did not realize that constable's patrolled after hours. I thought it was kind of a 8 to 5 job. Maybe it just big towns where they work around the clock.
TSRA
NRA
TFC
USMC 1961-1966

Topic author
anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

stash wrote:Well I learned something new here. I did not realize that constable's patrolled after hours. I thought it was kind of a 8 to 5 job. Maybe it just big towns where they work around the clock.
This wasn't THE constable, but a DEPUTY constable. Harris County has a ton of them.

Anygunanywhere

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”