5 car pileup, not the ideal first contact.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
GWE Chally
Posts in topic: 7

5 car pileup, not the ideal first contact.

Post by GWE Chally »

On my way home from the airport last night at about 7:30. East bound on 635 near Preston Rd. Heavy traffic, but moving. I stopped quickly for the car in front of me, the truck behind me, did not. The result was a chain-reaction 5 car accident.

When the officer asked for license and insurance, I handed him both licenses and my insurance card. He never asked about my G or made any comments about it.

But, I have a question: Has anyone here been involved in an accident and had the police say that it is "Policy" that they do not write accident reports.. ? The officer told me that, and said to tell the insurance agent the same thing. He must have said "Policy" 3 times. My insurance company had never heard such a thing except on certain holidays and such.
- Scott
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

urnoodle
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 5 car pileup, not the ideal first contact.

Post by urnoodle »

Yes I have been in a fender bender when someone rear-ended me. The police said they only write police reports if someone is transported to the hospital. In my case no one was so no report. My accident was in North Dallas about 6 years ago.
U R Noodle
CHL since 1/26/2012 - 41 days mailbox to mailbox

Songbird
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Songbird »

I was told the same thing back in 1997 when an old guy hit me(we were both going north on 35 just past where the old Texas Stadium used to be). No injuries, no report.
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

I've been told no report when there is no injury OR citation to driver(s) involved.

But other then that.. heck I have gotten reports when it was vehicle vs Deer........THREE TIMES NOW in Texas. :banghead:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Topic author
GWE Chally

Post by GWE Chally »

I guess I find it odd coming from Florida where they always write a report, and usually assign fault.

It was pretty clear that the guy who hit me was at fault, but without a police report I have to rely on his insurance company, (one I have never heard of) to do the right thing and assume responsibility. Otherwise, I have to pay the deductible, and my rates are likely to go up because I am no longer "claim free".
- Scott
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

urnoodle

Post by urnoodle »

The person who hit you should have been issued a citation. This can be used when you have to argue fault with the insurance companies.
U R Noodle
CHL since 1/26/2012 - 41 days mailbox to mailbox

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

I had the same thing happen a few years back. The police issued "blue sheets" with driver info and insurance information only. It included a sketch of the scene; Car 1 here, Car 2 here, Car 3 here, a visual damage report on the vehicles...but that was about it.
No assignment of fault, even though it was a rear end collision; No one hurt (good thing) and no major damage.

The officer told me that since he didn't see the accident, he couldn't issue citations or assign fault.

It worked out OK for me in the end; but it took time.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

packa45

Post by packa45 »

Fill out a "blue form" and submit it to DPS it's basically the same as an accident report but it is your statement of the event.
I've had a claim go to court over an accident ( minor fender bender) and the fact that I submitted one and the other driver did not was one of the factors that won my insurance company the case (photos of the damage to both vehicles was another)... Not to mention the guy was arrested for a failure to appear on acharge for driving on a suspended license,at the scene he was ticketed because his vehicle registration and inspection were expired... But he had current insurance

No accident report was made however they did note in the arrest report that he was involvedin a traffic accident that he caused at such and such address at approximately such and such time and was given citations for x and y offenses
Chl class for me and wife=$225. Chl application fees =$280. Chl gear for 2=more $ the previous. Moving from sheep to sheepdog = priceless

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Many departments have decided to save money by not investigating accidents where there is no injury. It is one of many responses in the past ten years or so to restrained budgets and citizens being upset over taxes. Accidents were seen as being more of a customer service to insurance companies than to the citizens, so some departments now have official policies not to investigate them.

State law provides that no one need call police to any accident. It also does not require you to cooperate and stay around if one driver wants the police and you do not. Note that it requires the drivers involved to stop and exchange information, and provide aid if some one is injured. You can legally leave after that. The law also no longer requires officers to investigate accidents. It does require a written report on a state approved form IF an officer investigates, but has been changed to not require the investigation to begin with.

Other changes to save money include taking reports over the phone instead of sending an officer to the scene, and not sending officers to calls concerning "quality of life" that do not involve crimes that would be prosecuted (say a noisy neighbor or barking dog). I suggest that you check with your local department and decide if you are willing to pay for a "full service" agency or not. If you insist on full service, be prepared to pay for it with higher taxes.
Steve Rothstein

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Happened to my son in Euless a few weeks ago. Since nobody got hurt, the police weren't interested.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MasterOfNone

Post by MasterOfNone »

So what happens if an at-fault party decides not to take blame for the accident? Once the cars are moved, it can often be hard to establish what happened.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

packa45

Post by packa45 »

MasterOfNone wrote:So what happens if an at-fault party decides not to take blame for the accident? Once the cars are moved, it can often be hard to establish what happened.

In short that is what the blue form is for... If you get into an accident go to the local police station/ sub station after information is exchanged and get one,fill it out and follow the submission instructions (it has a diagram section or did 5 years ago) so draw the accident scene and fill out the driver information for you and the other party and write your statement. I would also suggest making a copy for your personal records.
Chl class for me and wife=$225. Chl application fees =$280. Chl gear for 2=more $ the previous. Moving from sheep to sheepdog = priceless

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

"I think my neck is sore."
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Topic author
GWE Chally

Post by GWE Chally »

I am taking notes as I go! Thanks for the info fellas...

I spoke with the adjuster assigned to my case, (I know, on a Saturday?!) and he told me that if the at fault's insurance does not recognize that he is at fault, my insurance will pay, but I will have to pay the deductible, and my rates may go up because of the claim, not because of the accident.
He was a little concerned because he had never heard of Utica of Texas Insurance before... :shock: :eek6
- Scott
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

The first thing my son did after making sure the other driver was OK was to get get out his cell phone and start taking pictures. The other guy hit my son's car on the right side after making a left turn onto a busy thoroughfare from a side street, without even stopping at the stop sign first. He just rolled right through it. My son was heading west on a major east/west boulevard. The other guy was southbound and made a left turn (east) onto the street, right in front of my son. My son swerved to the left to avoid him and found himself facing oncoming traffic. So he swerved back into his lane and the other guy struck him a glancing blow on his right passenger door.

Turns out the other guy had been through this more than once. He already had a photocopy of his TDL and insurance card ready to hand to my son. The other guy's insurance did not contest who was at fault, and they covered all the repairs to my son's car.

I'm the one who taught him to always photograph the accident scene and the damage to both vehicles as soon after the impact as is practically possible.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”