Christmas Eve Leo Encounter

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
S&Wgrl
Posts in topic: 2

Christmas Eve Leo Encounter

Post by S&Wgrl »

My mother and I drove to my sisters house in Santa Fe, this morning for Christmas Eve breakfast. My mother was driving. We both have our CHL's but neither of us was armed. Next thing we know a Santa Fe police officer pulled us over. My mother was driving 58 in a 45 -construction zone. My mother was nervous. Her purse was in the back of her car covered with Christmas presents. She almost got out of the car before the LEO approached her. I told her to wait with her hands on the wheel. I also told her to make sure she gave him her CHL license along with her drivers license. He approached and asked for her license. She gave him both. He asked if she had "it" with her and she said no. He said ok and went back to his car. A minute later he came back and warned her to be careful and to have a Merry Christmas. All in all it was a great LEO encounter. He was very respectful. I don't know if her CHL had anything to do with her not getting a ticket or if it was because it was Christmas Eve. I'm just glad she didn't get a ticket!
2/17/12 Online CHL application
5/21/12 Plastic!

JJVP
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Christmas Eve Leo Encounter

Post by JJVP »

S&Wgrl wrote:My mother and I drove to my sisters house in Santa Fe, this morning for Christmas Eve breakfast. My mother was driving. We both have our CHL's but neither of us was armed. Next thing we know a Santa Fe police officer pulled us over. My mother was driving 58 in a 45 -construction zone. My mother was nervous. Her purse was in the back of her car covered with Christmas presents. She almost got out of the car before the LEO approached her. I told her to wait with her hands on the wheel. I also told her to make sure she gave him her CHL license along with her drivers license. He approached and asked for her license. She gave him both. He asked if she had "it" with her and she said no. He said ok and went back to his car. A minute later he came back and warned her to be careful and to have a Merry Christmas. All in all it was a great LEO encounter. He was very respectful. I don't know if her CHL had anything to do with her not getting a ticket or if it was because it was Christmas Eve. I'm just glad she didn't get a ticket!
She wasn't carrying. There was no need to give him the CHL.
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

It just preempts the inevitable question and sets everyone a little more at ease.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Right2Carry
Banned

Post by Right2Carry »

JJVP wrote:
S&Wgrl wrote:My mother and I drove to my sisters house in Santa Fe, this morning for Christmas Eve breakfast. My mother was driving. We both have our CHL's but neither of us was armed. Next thing we know a Santa Fe police officer pulled us over. My mother was driving 58 in a 45 -construction zone. My mother was nervous. Her purse was in the back of her car covered with Christmas presents. She almost got out of the car before the LEO approached her. I told her to wait with her hands on the wheel. I also told her to make sure she gave him her CHL license along with her drivers license. He approached and asked for her license. She gave him both. He asked if she had "it" with her and she said no. He said ok and went back to his car. A minute later he came back and warned her to be careful and to have a Merry Christmas. All in all it was a great LEO encounter. He was very respectful. I don't know if her CHL had anything to do with her not getting a ticket or if it was because it was Christmas Eve. I'm just glad she didn't get a ticket!
She wasn't carrying. There was no need to give him the CHL.
Most know there is no requirement, but do it anyway out of respect for the officer. There is no harm in handing it over and more often than not I believe that it actually helps the encounter.
“Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, an American Soldier doesn't have that problem". — President Ronald Reagan, 1985

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

Why were neither of you armed?
:eek6
NRA lifetime member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

KC5AV wrote:Why were neither of you armed?
Maybe they were planning to get into the egg nog? ;-)
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Interstate, no less. Particularly when New Mexico recognizes your CHL.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Interstate, no less. Particularly when New Mexico recognizes your CHL.
I'm thinking they might have been in Santa Fe, Texas.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

S&Wgrl wrote: I don't know if her CHL had anything to do with her not getting a ticket or if it was because it was Christmas Eve. I'm just glad she didn't get a ticket!
On Christmas eve 1977 my wife called me from her job and told me she was worried about getting home because her car was acting "funny." I drove to her workplace and gave her my car while I drove her car home, and told her to follow me. On the highway, I goosed the speed to try and duplicate her issue, and was promptly pulled over by the CA Hwy Patrol. I told him my wife was following, and he told me he had already pulled her over behind me. After explaining what I was doing, I meekly asked if he was going to ticket me on Christmas eve. He said "No, of course not. I'm going to ticket BOTH of you." And he did. :cryin

mikedude

Post by mikedude »

Sounds good. I thought I read New Mexico suspended TX chl's from carrying there? Did they fix that?

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

mikedude wrote:Sounds good. I thought I read New Mexico suspended TX chl's from carrying there? Did they fix that?
From what I recall, yes.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

mikedude wrote:Sounds good. I thought I read New Mexico suspended TX chl's from carrying there? Did they fix that?
IIRC, Texans age 21 and higher are welcome to carry. Texans age 18-20 ..... not so much.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

JALLEN

Post by JALLEN »

Jumping Frog wrote:
IIRC, Texans age 21 and higher are welcome to carry. Texans age 18-20 ..... not so much.
I looked it up on my iPhone app "Legal Heat". It is not mentioned but there is a reference to another site, NMDPS where it indicates that reciprocity will be effective for those who are US citizens 21 years or older not convicted of any disqualifying violent crime. It indicates that NMDPS will "work to adjust reciprocity agreements" to indicate that, implying that that is in process, not a done deal.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

cdc101

Post by cdc101 »

Most likely Santa Fe, Texas (just a little south of Houston).
Chris
US Army Cavalry Scout: 1992 - 1997

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

G26ster wrote:
S&Wgrl wrote: I don't know if her CHL had anything to do with her not getting a ticket or if it was because it was Christmas Eve. I'm just glad she didn't get a ticket!
On Christmas eve 1977 my wife called me from her job and told me she was worried about getting home because her car was acting "funny." I drove to her workplace and gave her my car while I drove her car home, and told her to follow me. On the highway, I goosed the speed to try and duplicate her issue, and was promptly pulled over by the CA Hwy Patrol. I told him my wife was following, and he told me he had already pulled her over behind me. After explaining what I was doing, I meekly asked if he was going to ticket me on Christmas eve. He said "No, of course not. I'm going to ticket BOTH of you." And he did. :cryin
My last moving violation was a speeding ticket issued by CHP on Christmas Eve, on Kanan Dume Road, out by Calabasas, on the way home from my mom's house at Point Dume. They are merciless.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”