marijuana stop in round rock

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
liberty2014
Posts in topic: 2

marijuana stop in round rock

Post by liberty2014 »

About anhour or two ago a buddy and myself went to whatburger and one the way we got pulled over. I asked why i was being stopped and he said i failed to turn my signal light on. Ok my mistake, i give him my dl and
Insurance card (waiting on dps for chl) he then comes back and says my car smells like marijuana neither my or myself smoke so we thought it was weird, he then says he has probable cause to search my car. Another 2 cars pull up and two officiers search my car while another one pats us down and asks us questions about why were out so late on a week night. After wbat seemed like 30 minutes they get done with the search (didnt find anything) and let us go with a warning. Like i said neither of us smoke so it was really weird, how can they verify the smell of marijuana? Was it a skunk in the road? Cops just wanted to searched so they made something up? should i call IA about this?

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: marijuana stop in round rock

Post by carlson1 »

No use in calling IA. There is no way to defute if there was a smell of marihuana or not. We have no recourse in matters such as this.

fickman

Post by fickman »

I'd consider filing a report. It'll get ignored, but it'll go on file. One such case on file is nothing. Eventually enough reports all saying the same thing will get somebody's attention. It's a way to help sniff out an honest mistake vs. a systemic bending of the law. Just drop your bread crumb on the trail and pit it out of your mind.

Glad it didn't escalate. Are there any other features about you that he could've been using to stereotype you? (Are you young, tattooed, mohawked, driving either a ports car your dad bought or a "vintage" car with visible duct tape? Or are you a boring middle aged accountant type in business casual? Somewhere in between?)*

I'd bet he just has experience finding drugs on people going to Whataburger after midnight and figures he's got the odds in his favor of finding something.

*I'm in no way suggesting that these other factors justify the officer's actions alone, hut it would be interesting to know.
Native Texian

A-R

Post by A-R »

Curious if the officer ever asked for your consent to search? Or did he/she just say *I smell mj. I have pc* and then order you out of the vehicle?

4t5

Post by 4t5 »

fickman wrote:... Eventually enough reports all saying the same thing will get somebody's attention....
I agree with this. Your report might be the 50th one, finally drawing attention to a pattern of abuse.

Redneck_Buddha

Post by Redneck_Buddha »

Yup...there sure seems to be a pattern of this type of thing.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Technically this is a stop for failure to signal..... It sounds like there were no CHL issues with this stop "rlol" ?

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

A-R wrote:Curious if the officer ever asked for your consent to search? Or did he/she just say *I smell mj. I have pc* and then order you out of the vehicle?
From the OP
says my car smells like marijuana neither my or myself smoke so we thought it was weird, he then says he has probable cause to search my car.
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

A-R

Post by A-R »

JJVP wrote:
A-R wrote:Curious if the officer ever asked for your consent to search? Or did he/she just say *I smell mj. I have pc* and then order you out of the vehicle?
From the OP
says my car smells like marijuana neither my or myself smoke so we thought it was weird, he then says he has probable cause to search my car.
Yes, I read same thing. Wondering if OP just skipped part about asking for consent first. Typically even if an officer knows he has PC he'll still ask for consent first (if he gets consebt, he avoids the need to articulate PC later if search leads to arrest)

fenster

Post by fenster »

this was some years back, but I was pulled over on my motorcycle for 5 over. it was late, streets were fairly empty, and other than the 5-over, I was riding my BMW responsibly. If I had to guess, I'd say it's likely there were rod, bait and tackle in the officer's car.

officer said he smelled marijuana on me, and asked to search. me, not knowing any better said no problem. he frisked me, and went through my saddlebags and of course found nothing. I don't smoke, but had just come from a pool hall, so I'm sure I had cigarette smell on me. in my very limited experience, those 2 sources of smoke have entirely distinct odors, but I wasn't going to argue that on the street.

reflecting on it more the next day, I figured it was my civic duty to file a report with IA. I sent my letter and a few weeks later had my interview with an IA officer. during the interview we stuck to the facts. I noticed the interviewer would go back over certain points, asking essentially the same question he had asked before, but in different wording, or from a different angle. academically quite interesting. anyway, he was never showed outright disbelief, but I never got the feeling he fully believed my story. after that point, nothing came of it.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

fenster wrote:this was some years back, but I was pulled over on my motorcycle for 5 over. it was late, streets were fairly empty, and other than the 5-over, I was riding my BMW responsibly. If I had to guess, I'd say it's likely there were rod, bait and tackle in the officer's car.

officer said he smelled marijuana on me, and asked to search. me, not knowing any better said no problem. he frisked me, and went through my saddlebags and of course found nothing. I don't smoke, but had just come from a pool hall, so I'm sure I had cigarette smell on me. in my very limited experience, those 2 sources of smoke have entirely distinct odors, but I wasn't going to argue that on the street.

reflecting on it more the next day, I figured it was my civic duty to file a report with IA. I sent my letter and a few weeks later had my interview with an IA officer. during the interview we stuck to the facts. I noticed the interviewer would go back over certain points, asking essentially the same question he had asked before, but in different wording, or from a different angle. academically quite interesting. anyway, he was never showed outright disbelief, but I never got the feeling he fully believed my story. after that point, nothing came of it.
Nothing to do with your stop in general, but what one calls fishing I call proactive police work. Criminals are caught using the law as a tool. The key is to know when you stopped a law abiding citizen for a simple traffic violation and QUICKLY move on.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

texanjoker wrote:
fenster wrote:this was some years back, but I was pulled over on my motorcycle for 5 over. it was late, streets were fairly empty, and other than the 5-over, I was riding my BMW responsibly. If I had to guess, I'd say it's likely there were rod, bait and tackle in the officer's car.

Nothing to do with your stop in general, but what one calls fishing I call proactive police work. Criminals are caught using the law as a tool. The key is to know when you stopped a law abiding citizen for a simple traffic violation and QUICKLY move on.
The problem is when LEO's go fishing wihtout a license (PC).
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Gameover

Post by Gameover »

I've had this happen twice, first time I let the two officers search my truck and they made a big mess of everything inside, throwing everything around even spilling my coffee all over my seat which really ticked me off. Second time they got nowhere, I told them I do not consent to any searches and with within 5 minutes I was on my way back to work.

I do not smoke marijuana and would not let anyone smoke it in my vehicle so the first time I went ahead and let them search thinking if would be quick and painless but it turned out to be the exact opposite and will never consent again because of how they went about there search.

I think for the most part law enforcement does a great job but the few bad apples out there make the rest of them look bad. :patriot:
Question everything

knotquiteawake

Post by knotquiteawake »

Keith B wrote:
texanjoker wrote:

The problem is when LEO's go fishing wihtout a license (PC).
Or a forged license (I "smell marijuana" in your car)...

Topic author
liberty2014

Post by liberty2014 »

the officer never asked for consent, he just said smelled marijuana and that gave him reason to search. I was in a 2011 ford focus, i have visible tattoos and short hair. i am in my earlier 20's (23) so im not sure if thats worth anything. i left a message with IA this morning.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”