Question on warnings

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
grumble
Posts in topic: 2

Question on warnings

Post by grumble »

Always been curious if when you get stopped and get a verbal warning, is it logged somewhere for access by others? IOW, if I were to get pulled over and get a warning, and then 30 minutes or 3 weeks later, I get pulled over again, can the 2nd officer see that I've recently gotten a warning from someone else?

Can this be done within an agency (local PD)
Inter-agency? One local PD to another local PD or DPS?

Just curious since I got pulled over for the first time in about 10 years and got a warning.. :cool:
Who are my congressmen again? http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us

srothstein
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Question on warnings

Post by srothstein »

With verbal warnings, your only problem is if the same officer stops you and remembers that he gave you a warning. And, yes, I have stopped the same person more than once in the same shift.

Some departments do keep a record of written warnings, some don't. No real help there. Sorry.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
grumble

Post by grumble »

Thanks - gotta say I was just curious. Got an IT background and thought that maybe adding a department wrapper with some metadata around a dps query shouldn't be too difficult (better watch those ideas...lol).
Who are my congressmen again? http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us

Wes

Post by Wes »

I have received a written warning and an oral warning, so as mentioned above it just depends on a) the cop and/or b) the city. Whether or not a written warning is stored, that is a good question.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

Bear67

Post by Bear67 »

Back to the 60's. I worked in Reno NV back in mid 60's and drove back and forth to visit Texas folks. I also hunted and fished with my old bachelorUncle south of Flagstaff. I was stopped south of Flag for passing in a no passing zone. It seems that in Arizona at that time, if it was a two lane road and the vehicle in front of you pulled onto the paved shoulder, it was still a violation of the law to pass if the yellow no passing line was there where you passed. The Arizona Highway patrol officer explained the law to me and said he knew in Texas what I did was legal--no written, just a verbal warning. He was very nice and we talked about living in Texas and Arizona.

Jump forward almost one year to the day and I get stopped about 40 miles north and east of Cottonwood for the same thing. And, it was the same officer. I have traded pickups, but I am still the same old ugly Texas redneck, but evidently he did not remember me. He gave me the same speech and verbal warning and sent me on my way.

I still like Arizona and when traveling there last year, I asked and the law is now like Texas.
"A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does,he needs it very badly!" Sir Winston Churchill

God Bless America

trdvet

Post by trdvet »

grumble wrote: Can this be done within an agency (local PD)
Inter-agency? One local PD to another local PD or DPS?
DPS does it, but it's an internal thing. If a PD shares a CAD system with another agency then yes they could see if a warning was issued. But no, there is no statewide database for warnings.

64zebra
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 64zebra »

We're not allowed to give verbal warnings due to racial profiling regulations (have to keep stats on race/ethnicity of stops to appease the folks saying we're racially profiling for traffic stops). We have to write a ticket, warning, or do a field interview card on someone if we make a traffic stop.
We are able to pull up the written warnings on the system, but its not feasible on a traffic stop.
LEO/CHL Certified Glock Armorer
Guns: not enough space here, but G17 duty/G30 off/S&W 642 BU
Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
If loose gun laws are good for criminals, why do criminals support gun control?

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

64zebra wrote:We're not allowed to give verbal warnings due to racial profiling regulations (have to keep stats on race/ethnicity of stops to appease the folks saying we're racially profiling for traffic stops). We have to write a ticket, warning, or do a field interview card on someone if we make a traffic stop.
We are able to pull up the written warnings on the system, but its not feasible on a traffic stop.

I'm curious, what's your warning to cite ratio?
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

trdvet

Post by trdvet »

64zebra wrote:We're not allowed to give verbal warnings due to racial profiling regulations
You can if your CAD system has software that keeps track of the required info for the DoJ.

64zebra

Post by 64zebra »

RX8er wrote:
64zebra wrote:We're not allowed to give verbal warnings due to racial profiling regulations (have to keep stats on race/ethnicity of stops to appease the folks saying we're racially profiling for traffic stops). We have to write a ticket, warning, or do a field interview card on someone if we make a traffic stop.

I'm curious, what's your warning to cite ratio?
I don't know, I don't track it

64zebra

Post by 64zebra »

trdvet wrote:
64zebra wrote:We're not allowed to give verbal warnings due to racial profiling regulations
You can if your CAD system has software that keeps track of the required info for the DoJ.
we're not allowed to because of dept policy on top of that, since our CAD system won't do that for us

our CAD system is really crappy compared to others out there that have way more features

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”