Bogus Stop by DPS

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
tex45acp
Posts in topic: 3

Bogus Stop by DPS

Post by tex45acp »

Ok, first let me make a statement!!!

I honor & respect LEO's for the great job that they are doing!!!! I always tell them how much I appreciate their hard work......but!!!

We were coming home from Austin, Saturday night at about 11:30pm, after picking my wife up at ABIA where she flew in from Chicago Ill. We had just passed through Cistern, where there is a grocery store/bar, that was packed to the rafters, and was on our way to Flatonia when I passed a DPS trooper headed the opposite direction. He immediately made a uey and flipped on the lights. I looked at my speed....65 in a 65 so that was not the reason. As I have always done, I pulled onto the shoulder and exited the vehicle with insurance papers in hand. He introduced himself and asked where I might be coming from. I handed him my DL, CHL & insurance and stated that I have a CHL and am carrying. He asked where and I told him in my pocket I had a semi-auto .45. He just smiled and stated that he had stopped me because I had not dimmed my high-beams soon enough. I knew then what was really going on!! He asked me where I was coming from and I told him from Austin. He asked if I had been partying there and I simply but sternly said "NO" I was there picking up my wife that had just flown in from Chicago, Ill. He said "man that was a late flight" and I responded that "the flight was delayed due to weather by 2 hours". He said.....and I quote..." Oh so you did not just leave from the party at the bar in Cistern???" I said "no I just came from Austin!!!" He walked to the front of my vehicle and checked my inspection sticker and registration, then shined the light inside and saw the luggage in the back seat. He then said he was going to issue a warning about the high-beams. I said no problem. I signed and off I went.

Ok I have been around LEO's all my life, having several in my family, but this was really a bogus stop. I have been stopped several times since getting my CHL several years ago, none for any moving violation, always something like a tail light out or just to verify DL & insurance. They were all very professional and even had one ask me about my SIG I was carrying. This trooper was really out of line in this stop. He was also kinda small and when my 6'6" 300lb frame poured out of my little VW Jetta he really was taken back.

Anyway I was just rambling this morning and wanted to know if any of you have ever experienced such a bogus stop.
Texas.....Nuff Said!!!

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HighVelocity »

I've never been stopped by DPS for no reason. I have been stopped several times by small town TX cops without cause.
I got pulled over once for not wearing my seatbelt (the cop was behind me), but I WAS wearing my seatbelt. The cop tells me that's why he pulled me over and says he saw me put it on AFTER he turned his lights on which was complete bull. After I tell him that he's mistaken because I put my seatbelt on before I even start the engine as a habit, he says he thinks my window tint is illegal because he couldn't see inside when he was behind me. :x
To which I respond, so you claim I wasn't wearing my seatbelt because you couldn't see inside the vehicle EXCEPT at the moment you claim you witnessed me putting my seatbelt on? :roll:

He ended up letting me go but I was extremely irritated.

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 7

Post by txinvestigator »

It is illegal to not dim your headlamps. It was a valid stop. He man have been suspicious of DWI due to the party; however, there was nothing "bogus" about the stop.

Unless he cussed at you or caused you undue delay he was not out of line.

And this is a CHL discussion form, not the "bitch about your problems with the cop forum. "

dolanp
Posts in topic: 2

Post by dolanp »

I have never experienced one like that but they are pretty common in the late night hours. Cops are fishing for drunks and drug dealers and the like.
Springfield XD 9mm Service

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 9

Post by stevie_d_64 »

txinvestigator wrote:It is illegal to not dim your headlamps. It was a valid stop. He man have been suspicious of DWI due to the party; however, there was nothing "bogus" about the stop.

And this is a CHL discussion form, not the "bitch about your problems with the cop forum. "
You may be right...I have never seen a citation issued for that offence...

But then again "fishing", without a license, is illegal as well...How many times have I wondered if the State goes in on the Texas City dike and asked everyone there if they have a license...Just because they are there???

At least it was good that he, (DPS Trooper), did not have an issue with the CHL and the fact that he was armed...I have never seen anyone ever have a real problem with any Texas Law Enforcement officials in all my years of monitoring and participating in discussions like this...

See, we all learn something everyday...I get annoyed too when someone doesn't dim their highbeams at night out in the country...But then again, its just an annoyance to me...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

dolanp wrote:I have never experienced one like that but they are pretty common in the late night hours. Cops are fishing for drunks and drug dealers and the like.
True, but never looking for illegal aliens and terrorists as well??? :wink:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

txinvestigator wrote:It is illegal to not dim your headlamps. It was a valid stop. He man have been suspicious of DWI due to the party; however, there was nothing "bogus" about the stop.

I think you need to read the forum conduct rules again txinvestigator. Especially when you're violating them while ranting about other peoples conduct.
Last edited by Paladin on Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm moving this to the LEO Contacts forum.

Chas.

Topic author
tex45acp

Post by tex45acp »

txinvestigator,

I totally disagree with you!!! What constitutes the distance I must dim the lights. My drivers education training back in the 70's stated that when I saw another vehicle I must dim my headlights. I immediately dimmed the lights when I saw another set coming around the short curve.
This trooper did in fact make a bogus stop and gave me a warning ticket on a bogus charge. This is why I am so upset about it. I could understand if he followed me, ran my plate, then my license and found some problems with my driving record, but I have had no citations for over 25 years!!!!!!!!! And that is not because I have been lucky!!!
Texas.....Nuff Said!!!

dolanp

Post by dolanp »

stevie_d_64 wrote:
dolanp wrote:I have never experienced one like that but they are pretty common in the late night hours. Cops are fishing for drunks and drug dealers and the like.
True, but never looking for illegal aliens and terrorists as well??? :wink:
No no, much less profitable.
Springfield XD 9mm Service

anygunanywhere

Not Dimming

Post by anygunanywhere »

Actually, (verified by my BIL, a Harris Co Deputy) one of the biggest indications officers use to stop drivers on suspicion of DUI is slow or not dimming bright lights and turn signal flashing continually. Seems the intoxicated do not notice the bright light indicator or turn signal. I had a car once with a burned out high beam indicator, and it caused me several stops by DPS before I fixed it. Valid stop in my book. Keeping DUI off the streets keeps us all alive. Sorry you were inconvenienced and feel you were hassled. If you had been treated with disrespect you would have a beef, but I don't believe you do.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Paladin

Re: Bogus Stop by DPS

Post by Paladin »

tex45acp wrote: I quote..." Oh so you did not just leave from the party at the bar in Cistern???" ... then shined the light inside and saw the luggage in the back seat.
Obviously the officer was fishing. Accusing you of lying and partying when the luggage was in plain view in the back seat was unproffessional.

Any proffessional would have already examined the back seat for security reasons alone.

Thanks for you post tex45acp
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

The whole high beam light issue got me to thinking...

My Grandmother has one of those decked out Cadillacs with automatic everything...

One of the features is an automatic switch that is connected to a sensor that looks ahead for oncoming traffic or bright light sources...Something like that...

Well it "automatically" dims your high beams if the "factory" settings are adjusted to a certain level...I don't think its adjustable by the driver...

So if we trust a machine to do this function for us, and it doesn't work to a Law Enforcement Officers determination...I guess thats call enough to pull someone over to see if they are intoxicated...Never mind the switch issue...
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gigag04 »

It's a forum. F-O-R-U-M. Thanks for going out of the way to be really rude to fellow members. This type of unity really helps us keep our gun rights and enjoy each other's company.
Paladin wrote: I think you need to read the forum conduct rules again txinvestigator. Especially when you're violating them while ranting about other peoples conduct.
+1
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

gigag04 wrote:

It's a forum. F-O-R-U-M. Thanks for going out of the way to be really rude to fellow members. This type of unity really helps us keep our gun rights and enjoy each other's company.
Paladin wrote:

I think you need to read the forum conduct rules again txinvestigator. Especially when you're violating them while ranting about other peoples conduct.
+1
I enjoy everyones company...But then again I am a sick individual... :lol:

I think "txinvestigator's" got some issues, and that those are personal and private...

He does come across very argumentative, with a blend of expertise in his life experiences...

His reaction to the alledged "bashing" of L.E. is a good example of why we should never question or antagonize Law Enforcement... :roll:

Unless you know them and are good friends with them...Then all bets are off... :wink:
NRA - Life Member
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”