First Contact at Founders Plaza

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
un0fficial
Posts in topic: 2

First Contact at Founders Plaza

Post by un0fficial »

So, a few friends of mine and I were extremely bored this evening. Being photographers, we decided to go to Downtown Dallas to take some photos. After a few hours down there we went to Downtown Fort Worth to do the same.

After that, we decided to head to Founders Plaza directly north of the DFW Airport to do some plane takeoff/final approach/landing trails. Mind you, it's now 1:00am, and the gates were wide open and we didn't notice a sign driving in that it was closed. So we're there about 15 minutes, and a car pulls up, and 2 officers get out and come up and start chatting with us. They asked us what we were doing, we explained, and then they said well, you know this place closed at 9:45. But one officer lit up a cigarette and said, "But you guys can keep going until I finish this."

This being my first contact, I was instantly nervous. I started to go over in my head if I were to tell them that I am a CHL or if it's okay not to tell them. I remembered that I dont have to tell them, but I respect the hell out of police and what they do, and as a courtesy, I should probably tell them. So I tell them, hey, I'm not sure if I HAVE to let you know, but out of courtesy, I'll let you know that I am a CHL, yes I do have my firearm on me. Now, here's where the rookie mistake occurred. One officer asked "Okay, where is your firearm?" And out of nervousness, I patted on my right hip and said "Right hip". He quickly said "now dont touch it". I quickly raised my right hand to my chest and replied yes sir. He then said "Just make sure I see your right hand at all times". I said yes sir again. He then goes "I'm not really sure you had to tell me, but I appreciate you telling me. In fact, I dont even think you have to tell us that you're a CHL when you get pulled over anymore..."

So after that, we just talked about photography and what my other profession is, and after he finished his cigarette, he said "Well boys lets pack it up" and we all parted ways.

Very positive experience. And a mental note, NEVER tap your firearm when asked where it is! "rlol"
Last edited by un0fficial on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teamless
Posts in topic: 1

Re: First Contact at Founders Plaza

Post by Teamless »

FYI, only when they ask for ID do you need to show them the CHL.
Then an only then, if they ask are you carrying do you have to tell them.

and yes, when they pull you over you (and again, ask for ID) you do have to show the CHL
they removed the penalty for not showing the ID, but the law still says you have to.
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Topic author
un0fficial

Post by un0fficial »

Oh I know, it was just in the "moment" my brain went "uhhh duhhhh hurr durr".

But out of courtesy I went ahead and told them. It was kinda one of those "If I was them, I'd like to know" situations.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

un0fficial wrote:Oh I know, it was just in the "moment" my brain went "uhhh duhhhh hurr durr".

But out of courtesy I went ahead and told them. It was kinda one of those "If I was them, I'd like to know" situations.
I say you did the right thing :txflag:

ALCSTUDIOS

Post by ALCSTUDIOS »

I would say you did right by telling them, I know I would have and atleast now I know not to tap my weapon :lol:

I do some photography myself, mostly youth sports and motocross stuff but have yet to make it out to Founders... and I live 5 minutes from there.
NRA,GOA,TFC TSRA & SAF member

Mx217

Post by Mx217 »

ALCSTUDIOS wrote:I would say you did right by telling them, I know I would have and atleast now I know not to tap my weapon :lol:

I do some photography myself, mostly youth sports and motocross stuff but have yet to make it out to Founders... and I live 5 minutes from there.

What tracks do you usually frequent?

ALCSTUDIOS

Post by ALCSTUDIOS »

Mx217 wrote:
ALCSTUDIOS wrote:I would say you did right by telling them, I know I would have and atleast now I know not to tap my weapon :lol:

I must be honest, I haven't been out much this year because I'm a fair weather guy and don't do well in the cold, my favorite place to photo is River Valley, Oak hill and Village creek, I do like Burleson alot too but it's just not as "open" as the other tracks.
NRA,GOA,TFC TSRA & SAF member

Mx217

Post by Mx217 »

ALCSTUDIOS wrote:
Mx217 wrote:

I must be honest, I haven't been out much this year because I'm a fair weather guy and don't do well in the cold, my favorite place to photo is River Valley, Oak hill and Village creek, I do like Burleson alot too but it's just not as "open" as the other tracks.

That's cool. I'm actually going to River Valley in the afternoon tomorrow. I love the red dirt out there! I learned to ride at village creek when I was ten years old so I practically grew up there. It's a great track that's close by. I raced at Burleson last year for the first time. It's definitely an old school style track but still super fun! Oak hill and now underground are some of the top facilities in the state right now, just quite a haul to drive to from where I'm at. If you ever see a guy on a #217 honda wearing fluorescent orange and yellow troy lee designs gear(hard to miss lol) come say hi! It's always nice to meet a fellow gun enthusiast that's into MX!

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Nice
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

texanjoker wrote:
un0fficial wrote:Oh I know, it was just in the "moment" my brain went "uhhh duhhhh hurr durr".

I say you did the right thing :txflag:
And I think it was totally unnecessary. For one reason or another, I've had probably a half-dozen such encounters in the last year. Something like I'm working late at the church and an officer stops by to check and we chat a while. I have never mentioned or thought the need to inform him I was carrying. If it doesn't require him asking for my ID, he has no need to know.

From the story, it seems as if the officers got neverous *after* you told them you were carrying. So things were better before.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”