Public safety or feeding a cash cow?

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
handog
Posts in topic: 3

Public safety or feeding a cash cow?

Post by handog »

Today my perfect driving record has been shattered. No accidents, no traffic violations on record. Yes I had a run in with one of Cedar Parks finest while driving my boy home from school.

Leo: hi, can I see your lic. And registration ?

Handog: hands on wheel. I have a CHL. No gun. (Breaking my own rule)

Leo: I appreciate you telling me.

Handog:is there a problem?

Leo: you were speeding. 40 in a 30 MPH zone. :nono:

Hangdog: really?

Leo: anything illegal in there? Any knives?

Handog: (thinking) would I tell you if there was? I don't have to answer.

Hangdog: no

Leo: sign here

Handog: we both know this has nothing to do with safety. It's about generating revenue.

Leo: it is about safety. if you want to fight it ill see you in court. Drive safely.

Handog: (thinking) I was driving safely. :grumble

Not a bad stop. Here's the thing. I went back to the scene of the alleged crime after LEO and radar gun left. Took pictures.
There was not one single speed limit sign on the block! The LEO was parked under a tree an the bottom of the hill. Near by streets have signs at 30,35,40MPH.

Please vote:

1.Fight speed trap ticket. Bring photos to court.

2.Stop whining. Send the $200.00 and slow down before you kill someone.

RottenApple

Re: Public safety or feeding a cash cow?

Post by RottenApple »

No poll, so can't "vote". But if there truly are no speed limit signs, and you have the pics to prove it, then I'd fight it.

I was stopped once for the same thing in Bexar County. When I told the officer there was no sign, he claimed there was and even walked me back to it (pre-CHL). Turns out there was a sign, but that tree branches had overgrown it and it wasn't visible. He let me off with a verbal warning? The next time I drove that rode the tree had been trimmed back!

ETA: Just thought of something. Sometimes a subdivision will put up speed limit signs stating "xx MPH unless otherwise posted". Is it possible the signs in the area you received the ticket are like that? Because if they are, I dunno if you're gonna win this one.
Last edited by RottenApple on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

Depends on exactly which type of street it is. Many of the streets in my neighborhood are 20-MPH, but some are 30-MPH and not very many of them are actually posted. I don't know what the laws are on them being posted. I do know that several of them are listed in the city code and there are speed limits listed by the type of street.

I could have received a ticket a few months ago for a school zone only a couple blocks from my house and not the usual direction I travel at that time of day. It's a private school and does have school zone signs, but there are no lights and just the times listed on the signs. I had not seen them enforced in over 6 years and tree limbs had grown to block the signs from view. To further complicate my problem the times the kids are walking to and from don't really match up with the times on the signs. The officer was standing on the side of the street and motioned for me to stop. He informed me of my speed and reminded me to slow down and never asked for ID, also acknowledging the tree limbs. I said, "Yes Sir" and was on my way. A couple weeks later the tree limbs had been cut back and I could see the signs and times. There were now kids walking around when the officer stopped me. Like I said, most of the streets around me are 20-MPH, but this one is 30-MPH and the one it leads to from my street is 35-MPH, but that one is well marked.

For $200 and the lack of speed signs, I think I would challenge that one, but not have too high of expectations of winning.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

An ex-HPD in my neighborhood told me he demands every shred of documentation, certification records, calibration, repair history, etc. for the radar/ldar instrument to be produced on any ticket he or family gets. I just paid for DD on the ticket that broke my clean record for 51 years.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

A long time ago, I worked for a law enforcement agency. I seem to remember the default speed limit on streets in urban areas to be 30mph if not otherwise posted....

From Vernon's Civil Statutes...

Text of subsec. (b) as amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 663, Sec. 2 and Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 739, Sec. 1

(b) Unless a special hazard exists that requires a slower speed for compliance with Section 545.351(b), the following speeds are lawful:

(1) 30 miles per hour in an urban district on a street other than an alley and 15 miles per hour in an alley;

SF18C

Post by SF18C »

To answer your question of rather to fight the ticket or not, I would like to propose a question, “Where you speeding?”

I would see if you can get it deferred by taking the online drivers safety class.
Tis better to die on your feet than live on your knees!

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

SF18C wrote:To answer your question of rather to fight the ticket or not, I would like to propose a question, “Where you speeding?”

I would see if you can get it deferred by taking the online drivers safety class.
If there were no sign, then how would he know? :headscratch

suthdj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by suthdj »

gthaustex wrote:A long time ago, I worked for a law enforcement agency. I seem to remember the default speed limit on streets in urban areas to be 30mph if not otherwise posted....

From Vernon's Civil Statutes...

Text of subsec. (b) as amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 663, Sec. 2 and Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 739, Sec. 1

(b) Unless a special hazard exists that requires a slower speed for compliance with Section 545.351(b), the following speeds are lawful:

(1) 30 miles per hour in an urban district on a street other than an alley and 15 miles per hour in an alley;
:iagree:
I was pulled over many years back for speeding(60 in a 40) I did the same went up and down the road and only sign I found was a mile prior to where I entered 1 sign in a 2 mile length of road so I did a little reading and found the same answer. So I complained to the DA and plead gui....No contest. $180 dollars later I still speed, can't help it. Only tickets I ever get, even got one on my way to the forum meet-up many years back(80 in a 60). :grumble
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

suthdj
Posts in topic: 2

Post by suthdj »

RottenApple wrote:
SF18C wrote:To answer your question of rather to fight the ticket or not, I would like to propose a question, “Where you speeding?”

If there were no sign, then how would he know? :headscratch
Ignorance of the law is no excuse............. unless you are a politician. "rlol"
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

A-R

Post by A-R »

30 mph is prima facia speed limit for an urban area unless otherwise marked.
Texas Transportation Code wrote:Sec. 545.352.  PRIMA FACIE SPEED LIMITS. (a) A speed in excess of the limits established by Subsection (b) or under another provision of this subchapter is prima facie evidence that the speed is not reasonable and prudent and that the speed is unlawful.
(b)  Unless a special hazard exists that requires a slower speed for compliance with Section 545.351(b), the following speeds are lawful:
(1)  30 miles per hour in an urban district on a street other than an alley and 15 miles per hour in an alley;
(2)  except as provided by Subdivision (4), 70 miles per hour on a highway numbered by this state or the United States outside an urban district, including a farm-to-market or ranch-to-market road;
(3)  except as provided by Subdivision (4), 60 miles per hour on a highway that is outside an urban district and not a highway numbered by this state or the United States;
(4)   outside an urban district:
(A)  60 miles per hour if the vehicle is a school bus that has passed a commercial motor vehicle inspection under Section 548.201 and is on a highway numbered by the United States or this state, including a farm-to-market road; or
(B)  50 miles per hour if the vehicle is a school bus that:
(i)  has not passed a commercial motor vehicle inspection under Section 548.201; or
(ii)  is traveling on a highway not numbered by the United States or this state;
(5)  on a beach, 15 miles per hour; or
(6)  on a county road adjacent to a public beach, 15 miles per hour, if declared by the commissioners court of the county.
(c)  The speed limits for a bus or other vehicle engaged in the business of transporting passengers for compensation or hire, for a commercial vehicle used as a highway post office vehicle for highway post office service in the transportation of United States mail, for a light truck, and for a school activity bus are the same as required for a passenger car at the same time and location.
(d)  In this section:
(1)  "Interstate highway" means a segment of the national system of interstate and defense highways that is:
(A)  located in this state;
(B)  officially designated by the Texas Transportation Commission; and
(C)  approved under Title 23, United States Code.
(2)  "Light truck" means a truck with a manufacturer's rated carrying capacity of not more than 2,000 pounds, including a pick-up truck, panel delivery truck, and carry-all truck.
(3)  "Urban district" means the territory adjacent to and including a highway, if the territory is improved with structures that are used for business, industry, or dwelling houses and are located at intervals of less than 100 feet for a distance of at least one-quarter mile on either side of the highway.
(e)  An entity that establishes or alters a speed limit under this subchapter shall establish the same speed limit for daytime and nighttime.

OldGrumpy

Post by OldGrumpy »

Last time I got a ticket (3 yrs ago) I just did the defensive driving and no hassle. Time previous to that was 25 years ago I went to City Court to fight it. Lost and had to pay the ticket anyway. Good part was that I talked for two hours in my appeal. It was almost ten o'clock when I finished. Judge and City Attorney were wanting to go home, but there was still about 10 other appeals to be heard after me. Felt like I got my money's worth. :txflag:
Love God, Family, USA, and Texas
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God - Micah 6:8

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

OldGrumpy wrote:Last time I got a ticket (3 yrs ago) I just did the defensive driving and no hassle. Time previous to that was 25 years ago I went to City Court to fight it. Lost and had to pay the ticket anyway. Good part was that I talked for two hours in my appeal. It was almost ten o'clock when I finished. Judge and City Attorney were wanting to go home, but there was still about 10 other appeals to be heard after me. Felt like I got my money's worth. :txflag:
:smilelol5:

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Do you want to waste a day in court? That will be the real issue. 40 in a 30? Hard to beat that one. Many areas do not have signs posted and it is your requirement to know the basic laws. TX is huge on revenue from tickets. Make sure you get it deferred if eligible so your insurance doesn't go up.

Topic author
handog

Post by handog »

A-R wrote:30 mph is prima facia speed limit for an urban area unless otherwise marked.
Texas Transportation Code wrote:Sec. 545.352.  PRIMA FACIE SPEED LIMITS. (a) A speed in excess of the limits established by Subsection (b) or under another provision of this subchapter is prima facie evidence that the speed is not reasonable and prudent and that the speed is unlawful.
(b)  Unless a special hazard exists that requires a slower speed for compliance with Section 545.351(b), the following speeds are lawful:
(1)  30 miles per hour in an urban district on a street other than an alley and 15 miles per hour in an alley;
(2)  except as provided by Subdivision (4), 70 miles per hour on a highway numbered by this state or the United States outside an urban district, including a farm-to-market or ranch-to-market road;
(3)  except as provided by Subdivision (4), 60 miles per hour on a highway that is outside an urban district and not a highway numbered by this state or the United States;
(4)   outside an urban district:
(A)  60 miles per hour if the vehicle is a school bus that has passed a commercial motor vehicle inspection under Section 548.201 and is on a highway numbered by the United States or this state, including a farm-to-market road; or
(B)  50 miles per hour if the vehicle is a school bus that:
(i)  has not passed a commercial motor vehicle inspection under Section 548.201; or
(ii)  is traveling on a highway not numbered by the United States or this state;
(5)  on a beach, 15 miles per hour; or
(6)  on a county road adjacent to a public beach, 15 miles per hour, if declared by the commissioners court of the county.
(c)  The speed limits for a bus or other vehicle engaged in the business of transporting passengers for compensation or hire, for a commercial vehicle used as a highway post office vehicle for highway post office service in the transportation of United States mail, for a light truck, and for a school activity bus are the same as required for a passenger car at the same time and location.
(d)  In this section:
(1)  "Interstate highway" means a segment of the national system of interstate and defense highways that is:
(A)  located in this state;
(B)  officially designated by the Texas Transportation Commission; and
(C)  approved under Title 23, United States Code.
(2)  "Light truck" means a truck with a manufacturer's rated carrying capacity of not more than 2,000 pounds, including a pick-up truck, panel delivery truck, and carry-all truck.
(3)  "Urban district" means the territory adjacent to and including a highway, if the territory is improved with structures that are used for business, industry, or dwelling houses and are located at intervals of less than 100 feet for a distance of at least one-quarter mile on either side of the highway.
(e)  An entity that establishes or alters a speed limit under this subchapter shall establish the same speed limit for daytime and nighttime.

Thanks for digging that up. :tiphat:

I won't contest the ticket. Looks like I can take an online defensive driving course for an additional fee to eliminate the points.

There are so many laws/rules to follow that we are all criminals at this point. I'm going to measure the grass. Don't need the HOA lawn patrol coming down on me :leaving

Zoo

Post by Zoo »

Hire a lawyer specializing in it and fight it. Especially if you think it's about money, the best thing is deny them easy money. Make it more expensive to prosecute than your ticket. If it's really about safety, they will follow through, like we accept that prosecuting a convenience store robber costs more money than he stole.
The city is not a concrete jungle. It is a human zoo.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”