Second LEO contact…..I was a bit surprised.

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Moby
Posts in topic: 2

Second LEO contact…..I was a bit surprised.

Post by Moby »

I was asked to assist with the concession stand at my teenage daughter’s softball game.

While in the shack a girl came up and said a man was trying to break into a car in the parking lot. Another parent Steve, who works for DHS on gang intervention, said he would go and check it out. I went with him. I did not notice any printing on Steve (I was looking for a firearm) and I do not believe he knew I was carrying. This was not a school event of any kind.

When we got to the parking lot I went right, he went left. I called 911 and asked for an officer. I found nothing and when I was going to the area Steve was at I saw him standing talking with someone at the rear of an SUV. As I approached there was a guy using a slim jim on the SUV. Steve told me he (the guy) had locked his keys in his SUV.

About that time PD rolls up on scene and asked what was going on. Steve told him the guy locked his keys in his SUV and we had come out to investigate a report that someone was attempting to get into a car. The officer asked for all of our ID’s and I gave my driver’s license out of habit and my CHL. He immediately handed my CHL back to me and said nothing. He ran our ID’s, thanked us for cooperating and off he went.

I expected him to ask if I had a weapon as he was still investigating who we were. I’m glad he didn’t as I really didn’t want two parents knowing I had a firearm on me. I think the cop assumed I did and choose not to reveal it or just didn’t think about it. I kept my hands together in front of me the whole time.

All was good.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

MasterOfNone
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Second LEO contact…..I was a bit surprised.

Post by MasterOfNone »

I don't see any need to run your and Steve's IDs. All that was necessary was to verify that the slim jim operator owned the car.
http://www.PersonalPerimeter.com
DFW area LTC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, Range Safety Officer, Recruiter

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

some dept's (I don't agree with this) run anybody they contact.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gigag04 »

Concession stand on school property during school event?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
Moby
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Moby »

gigag04 wrote:Concession stand on school property during school event?

No sir, city property, REC ball. No school involvement.

In fact I thought there was a HS Softball game at first and left my firearm in my truck.
When I found out they were not playing I went and put it back on.
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Moby wrote:

In fact I thought there was a HS Softball game at first and left my firearm in my truck.
Nice. TBH I don't care either - just curious. I wouldn't sack someone (CHL) up for JUST carrying in a prohibited area unless just needed a reason to take them to jail.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle »

Moby wrote:I think the cop assumed I did [have a firearm] and choose not to reveal it or just didn’t think about it.
In this day and age I'd be surprised to find an officer who didn't assume you were armed when you show him or her a CHL and shocked to find one who didn't even think about it.
The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation where the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. James Madison
NRA Life Member Texas Firearms Coalition member

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

baldeagle wrote:
Moby wrote:I think the cop assumed I did [have a firearm] and choose not to reveal it or just didn’t think about it.
In this day and age I'd be surprised to find an officer who didn't assume you were armed when you show him or her a CHL and shocked to find one who didn't even think about it.
No real numbers, but I would guess that upwards of 80% of CHL holders that I contact during a routine traffic stop are unarmed.

jmra

Post by jmra »

gigag04 wrote:
baldeagle wrote:
No real numbers, but I would guess that upwards of 80% of CHL holders that I contact during a routine traffic stop are unarmed.
Most of the time I would fall into that 80% - school employee. :banghead:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Laneman

Post by Laneman »

80% of CHL's are unarmed during a traffic stop? I'm never unarmed, except at work or the usual forbidden places. I was even armed on my riding mower yesterday, let alone in the truck. Come on guys, it doesn't do any good at home in the safe.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Moby wrote:

As I understand it, if you are in a place where you are otherwise permitted to carry, and there "happens to be" a school event going on that you are not involved in, it's ok to carry. This discussion comes up from time to time regarding the zoo and similar places where schools hold organized events, and my recollection is that carry is ok...

Please do some checking here... I recall at least one lawyer giving an opinion on this in the forum.
I am NOT a lawyer, this is just my possibly-faulty recollection, not legal advice.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

cmwoodruff

Post by cmwoodruff »

RoyGBiv wrote:
Moby wrote:

As I understand it, if you are in a place where you are otherwise permitted to carry, and there "happens to be" a school event going on that you are not involved in, it's ok to carry. This discussion comes up from time to time regarding the zoo and similar places where schools hold organized events, and my recollection is that carry is ok...

Please do some checking here... I recall at least one lawyer giving an opinion on this in the forum.
I am NOT a lawyer, this is just my possibly-faulty recollection, not legal advice.

(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;

(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

Not in a building right? :coolgleamA:
“How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” -Adolf Hitler

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

cmwoodruff wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
Moby wrote:

(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;

(3) "Premises" means a building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area.

He said it was city property, not school property and not a school sponsored event. If it were school property, then you can't go into any building, including a concession stand or even a porta-potty.

Now, the school grounds is off-limits if there is a school function going on, but the law is gray on if the school function is at another location. The general consensus is if you are at a location and a school event shows up, then if you are not part of it the place doesn't become off-lmiits. There is no legal precedence on this, just the common sense view. But that may still get you a ride if someone wants to challenge it.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

sugar land dave

Post by sugar land dave »

Keith B wrote:
cmwoodruff wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
Moby wrote:

He said it was city property, not school property and not a school sponsored event. If it were school property, then you can't go into any building, including a concession stand or even a porta-potty.

Now, the school grounds is off-limits if there is a school function going on, but the law is gray on if the school function is at another location. The general consensus is if you are at a location and a school event shows up, then if you are not part of it the place doesn't become off-limits. There is no legal precedence on this, just the common sense view. But that may still get you a ride if someone wants to challenge it.
Why doesn't the legislature clarify their intentions on this? Is it unnecessary, and I am being obtuse, or is there a need? Great posts so far everyone! It makes for a good morning read.
Last edited by sugar land dave on Mon May 20, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DPS Received Forms- 1/18/11 Online Status - 1/27/11 My Mailbox - 2/12/11
NRA Life Member

RottenApple

Post by RottenApple »

sugar land dave wrote:Why doesn't the legislature clarify their intentions on this? Is it unnecessary, and I am being obtuse, or is there a need? Great posts so far everyone! It make for a good morning read.
I think it's a case of most of us, myself included, over-reading the laws involved. Of course, considering how laws can be manipulated and reinterpreted, this is not necessarily a bad thing.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”