Old Registration Sticker pull over

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Old Registration Sticker pull over

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

rp_photo wrote:
styxx wrote:A Trooper stopped me for a long expired registration sticker on the window. The new one was still in my glove box - a "Duh" for me.
In today's world, an officer should be able to confirm that the driver was indeed current via their on-board computer or smartphone. Ditto for insurance coverage.

Do they only check information when it fits their agenda?
:iagree:

Evidently there are vehicles with cameras that just drive down the street and scan every vehicle on the street. Why not this? Why exactly do we even need a sticker at this point?

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Old Registration Sticker pull over

Post by cb1000rider »

Cedar Park Dad wrote: Evidently there are vehicles with cameras that just drive down the street and scan every vehicle on the street. Why not this? Why exactly do we even need a sticker at this point?
Because the technology only works (well) in specific configurations. The algorithms that do character recognition work best at specific distance (size of letters) and a direct line of site. Your eyes are much better at looking for the sticker than automation is at getting the license plate right at varying positions and distances.
How do I know? Because I worked on projects that use these systems in the civilian space.

The whole TX insurance card thing has driven me mad for years. The PD accepts a card that can be faked and printed by any 7 year old with a printer. And we still have tons of uninsured.
I assume that they have a system for validating insurance now.. At least I hope so. Last time I was stopped, I had an expired card and was busy trying to pull it up on my phone. Officer told me not to worry about it.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”