LEO's under attack

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Jumping Frog
Posts in topic: 1

Re: LEO's under attack

Post by Jumping Frog »

Congrats on graduation and starting a new job!
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

gigag04 wrote: And FWIW, I'm not going to be a cop forever. I have been completing my engineering degree by day and working at night. I graduate in a few weeks and have accepted an electrical manufacturer. I'll still hit the streets as a reserve once a month or so, and will probably get into training too...
Wow! That's nice. I'm sure you will like the environment much better. Congratulations!
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

VMI77 wrote:
gringo pistolero wrote:
VMI77 wrote:And as far as being paid enough.....we're supposed to have a "free market," and imperfections granted, if the pay wasn't enough to attract enough qualified people to do the job then pay would have to increase.
We're supposed to have a free market but then the unions get involved and the market is no longer free. We often end up with people who are paid more than the fair market value of their work, but believe they are underpaid because they drank the koolaid. Look at teachers for a good example.

Many people think private schools do a better job educating children than public schools. They vote with their wallet when they pay the tuition. But if you look at salaries, private school teachers often get paid less than public school teachers. And why do public school teachers get paid more? It's the unions.
I agree completely...notice I put "free market" in quotes. My point was simply that the pay isn't a mystery and is known beforehand and qualified people still choose the job. If there were not enough qualified people to do the job then either the pay would have to be increased or the qualifications lowered. It appears that at the current levels of qualification there are sufficient people choosing to do the job, and that suggests that the level of pay must be either too high or about right, and not too low.
http://www.khou.com/news/local/Houston- ... 68841.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The civic association used to contract with the constables office for a deputy to patrol the area, but now that it's gone with Seal security, it has three to four officers patrolling the streets at any given time, and at half the cost. Also cut in half: the number of monthly burglaries.

The free market works when we let it.

:patriot:
Indiana Lifetime Handgun License

VMI77
Posts in topic: 8

Post by VMI77 »

gigag04 wrote:I would suggest anyone jealous of PD pension benefits go through the academy and go get their own.

Free market economy works both ways...you saying that my retirement should be more like yours is no different than me wanting my salary to look like and escalate on the same level as a private sector professional.

And FWIW, I'm not going to be a cop forever. I have been completing my engineering degree by day and working at night. I graduate in a few weeks and have accepted an electrical manufacturer. I'll still hit the streets as a reserve once a month or so, and will probably get into training too...
Policing is one of the few legitimate government "services." I don't have any problem with how much law enforcement gets paid. I think most of us responding here are talking about the pay for those government jobs that shouldn't be performed by government at all.

Congratulations to you, but I have mixed feelings personally....you sound like one of the good cops we need more of, so while on the one hand good for you, on the other it's a shame that a good cop is lost to other employment.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

gigag04
Posts in topic: 9

Post by gigag04 »

Ill miss the fun parts but I think it's a better move for the family long term.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

gigag04 wrote:And FWIW, I'm not going to be a cop forever. I have been completing my engineering degree by day and working at night. I graduate in a few weeks and have accepted an electrical manufacturer. I'll still hit the streets as a reserve once a month or so, and will probably get into training too...
Congratulations. This is great news for you and your family.

Unfortunately, this is also one of the biggest real problems in police work these days. The guys who are the best cops, smartest, calmest, caring, compassionate, etc. are also the ones who are the most capable of getting other jobs and moving on. The lower than average pay costs us lots of good people, especially in the smaller towns that cannot afford the benefits some of the big departments pay. And no, I do not have a solution, just recognition of the problem.
Steve Rothstein

gringo pistolero
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gringo pistolero »

gigag04 wrote:Free market economy works both ways...you saying that my retirement should be more like yours is no different than me wanting my salary to look like and escalate on the same level as a private sector professional.
I think that's a great idea! Many private sector professionals I know have no pension and earn 20% to 30% less than five years ago. I strongly support the same for all elected officials and appointed officials, and most other people getting a government check.

That's some hope and change I could get behind. :cheers2:
I sincerely apologize to anybody I offended by suggesting the Second Amendment also applies to The People who don't work for the government.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

gigag04 wrote:Ill miss the fun parts but I think it's a better move for the family long term.
It was for my dad. He may not have known it at the time and I'm not even suggesting that you do, but my dad had anger management issues and should not have stayed in LE. He was a cop for a little while when I was a toddler. He got out of it when I was around 4y and went to work for IBM for the next 30+ years before retiring. It was much better for him and the family. I hope your move is for you and yours as well.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

gigag04
Posts in topic: 9

Post by gigag04 »

gringo pistolero wrote:
gigag04 wrote:Free market economy works both ways...you saying that my retirement should be more like yours is no different than me wanting my salary to look like and escalate on the same level as a private sector professional.
I think that's a great idea! Many private sector professionals I know have no pension and earn 20% to 30% less than five years ago. I strongly support the same for all elected officials and appointed officials, and most other people getting a government check.

The position I accepted has employer matching up to 6%, starts me at a base salary of $6k more per year than my cop salary, has lucrative sales bonuses, equivalent vacation, but also offers steeper, performance based pay increases, stock options, expense account, car allowance, and it's not shift work. I don't say this to brag - but merely to retort your comparison of private sector employment. I can't speak on a grander scale, but I opted to put myself through a degree program that was highly recruited by industry, widely relevant, and technical. This seed yielded a crop of job opportunities and I thank God everyday for the drive, ability, timing, and grace to get it done.

If my LE salary 5 years from now would be same as what I anticipate my new one will, nobody would have a problem recruiting and keepin quality professionals in the field of LE.

I get that you just want to stir the pot so I'm not super concerned.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

gigag04 wrote:
gringo pistolero wrote:

The position I accepted has employer matching up to 6%, starts me at a base salary of $6k more per year than my cop salary, has lucrative sales bonuses, equivalent vacation, but also offers steeper, performance based pay increases, stock options, expense account, car allowance, and it's not shift work. I don't say this to brag - but merely to retort your comparison of private sector employment. I can't speak on a grander scale, but I opted to put myself through a degree program that was highly recruited by industry, widely relevant, and technical. This seed yielded a crop of job opportunities and I thank God everyday for the drive, ability, timing, and grace to get it done.

If my LE salary 5 years from now would be same as what I anticipate my new one will, nobody would have a problem recruiting and keepin quality professionals in the field of LE.

I get that you just want to stir the pot so I'm not super concerned.
Congrats...

CHLLady
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CHLLady »

My awesome officer trainer told us that if we drive by and he's struggling with a BG, we better stop and help. We all agreed that we would. In this kind of event it would be much easier to tell good guy from bad guy, which is an issue that makes me very reluctant to step forward.

My thoughts are with the spouses of LEOs as well. As a military spouse, I know how they feel sending their loved one off to the unknown. They do this every single day. :patriot:
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

CHLLady wrote:My awesome officer trainer told us that if we drive by and he's struggling with a BG, we better stop and help. We all agreed that we would. In this kind of event it would be much easier to tell good guy from bad guy, which is an issue that makes me very reluctant to step forward.

My thoughts are with the spouses of LEOs as well. As a military spouse, I know how they feel sending their loved one off to the unknown. They do this every single day. :patriot:
My suggestion is you better ask if they need assistance first. If you just jump into the fracas the officer may not realize you are on their side and you could potentially do more harm than good. I will definately stop and offer assistance, but will only engage if requested to do so.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

CHLLady
Posts in topic: 2

Post by CHLLady »

Excellent point Keith. Thank you for suggesting that.
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”