Ay HCSO Deputies Out There?

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
CigarStix
Posts in topic: 3

Ay HCSO Deputies Out There?

Post by CigarStix »

I'm considering the idea of becoming a Reserve Deputy with the HCSO.

Any thoughts? Good experience?

Thanks!

:txflag:
Always Carry, Never Tell
NRA Member
Certified NRA Instructor
Licensed CHL Instructor

gigag04
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ay HCSO Deputies Out There?

Post by gigag04 »

I've applied to the same program. We'll see.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

G23WAX

Post by G23WAX »

I have thought seriuosly about trying to get into a reserve deputy position. Do they require the same academy training as a full time LEO?

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

G23WAX wrote:I have thought seriuosly about trying to get into a reserve deputy position. Do they require the same academy training as a full time LEO?
Yup.

gregthehand

Post by gregthehand »

HCSO require full TCLEOSE licensing and also will require you to work in the jail for a long time before you get to go on patrol.
My posts on this website are worth every cent you paid me for them.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I passed all the requirements (written test, psycho test, polygraph, physical fitness test) a couple years ago and was waiting for enough people to start an academy. I hurt my back and dropped out so I never started. It amounts to one year of training to get all the TCLEOSE requirements. I think it is 3-4 nights per week for classes, kind of rough when you are working full time. They will have you volunteering as a jailer before your academy class starts. They have a meeting at the courthouse downtown once a month and you are required to perform a set number of volunteer hours a month. Everything seemed ok except several of the reserve deputies (including the chief at the time) had major attitudes (i.e. the kind of officer you do not want to be pulled over by). That was the only negative thing I saw and I believe they have the largest reserve program in the US. If you can commit the time I say go for it, once you get out you can go into different divisions (marine, patrol etc.). Some things may have changed but that is what I recall.

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jbirds1210 »

gregthehand wrote:HCSO require full TCLEOSE licensing and also will require you to work in the jail for a long time before you get to go on patrol.
I don't know if they use that same rule for their reserves. I reserved with Galveston County S.O. (awesome experience) prior to going to work for a municipal PD full time. I worked with many people who moved to Galveston County when the new Harris County Sheriff came along.

Good luck!

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Topic author
CigarStix

Post by CigarStix »

The HCSO program, as I understand it, is 1 year in the Academy (3 nights/wk). Once completed, you sit for the State exam. I am under the impression that once you become a Peace Officer in the Reserve Program, you can pretty much determine where you want to work. I don't think the jail is a "requirement".

What's nice about the HCSO Academy is that everything is provided for you, except your gun and a couple other minor items.

The downside for me is that the Academy is 45 miles from where I live. That's a hike 3 nights a week!
Always Carry, Never Tell
NRA Member
Certified NRA Instructor
Licensed CHL Instructor

Topic author
CigarStix

Post by CigarStix »

jbirds1210 wrote:
gregthehand wrote:HCSO require full TCLEOSE licensing and also will require you to work in the jail for a long time before you get to go on patrol.
I worked with many people who moved to Galveston County when the new Harris County Sheriff came along.

Good luck!

Jason
Is the Harris County Sheriff difficult to work for?
Always Carry, Never Tell
NRA Member
Certified NRA Instructor
Licensed CHL Instructor

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jbirds1210 »

I have no personal experience. There was a large movement away from the Harris County Reserve program when he was elected. I was told Galveston County offers a great deal of freedom in comparison.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”