Pulled over by DPS Trooper on I-10, CHL but not carrying

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jross
Posts in topic: 2

Pulled over by DPS Trooper on I-10, CHL but not carrying

Post by jross »

First time being pulled over since I have had CHL, over 10 years.

Won't go into all the details, but I and about 25 -30 vehicles, cars, trucks, etc. traveling I-10 were flagged over by a DPS Trooper for violating the same law.

Anyway, I was riding my E-Glide and I was not carrying, but I produced my CHL and DL anyway. The Trooper handed me back the CHL, asked me if I was carrying, told me the law I had violated, that I and the others would be cited, and asked me to stand by while he got it organized to where we could all "get our medicine".

Long line of cars . . .

I knew I was in the wrong, hey what the heck, no need to get an attitude, right? In fact as I was standing there, it was a nice day, a good day to be alive, I really did ponder the foolishness of my actions, and that I had gotten very careless. That is lethal on a motorcycle. So by the time the Trooper came back up the line, I was really sobered by the whole thing and ready to face the music. And CHL was the last thing I was thinking about.

Because he had to do mass justice, the Trooper had to point his car facing traffic so we could all pull up to his window in turn. Well as we are proceeding one-by-each up the shoulder to the DPS Troopers squad McDonalds style get our justice, I noticed looking thru the windows ahead of me a lot of animated conversations and waving arms and then paper signing. I'm thinking there was a lot of arguing/protesting going on. The guy behind me in a primer-colored K-Car wagon was hollering out his window about constitutional rights. His car was packed literally to the ceiling including passenger area with old newspapers. I think he may have been a little tipsy.

When I pulled up to the Trooper he was just getting his response back from dispatch on my details. When I killed my motor the first thing the Trooper asked me was why I was not packing today. That kinda surprised me because I was steeled up for the big whammy. I briefly told him that I did not feel comfortable carrying that day due to my riding gear. (I did not tell him the real truth - that I have recently outgrown my Pistol Pete leather jacket) He asked me what did I normally pack, etc. He said well I should really be packing "because that is what CHL is for." I said OK I understand. He asked me what was my background. We had a nice mini-chat. Then he said OK you'll be getting a warning today, but I could be killed doing what I did (correct), be extra cautious on a motorcycle, etc. I said yes yes yes. Got my warning stub off his little cockpit mounted printer. Shook his hand. And off I went.

Wow . . . Whew . . .

Did not hang around to see how Mr. Constitution fared.

Now I have not had a citation of any type since 1978 and I suspect his computer was showing such, but I was pretty impressed still.

God Bless Texas! :txflag:

Jumping Frog

Re: Pulled over by DPS Trooper on I-10, CHL but not carrying

Post by Jumping Frog »

I see it is your first post, so WELCOME!
jross wrote:Won't go into all the details, . . . . . told me the law I had violated, that I and the others would be cited,
Ah come on, you know that I and everyone who reads this thread are going to be wondering what kind of traffic offense causes 25-30 vehicles to be pulled over simultaneously. :drool:

Share the juicy part! :smilelol5: :thumbs2:
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jumping Frog wrote:I see it is your first post, so WELCOME!
jross wrote:Won't go into all the details, . . . . . told me the law I had violated, that I and the others would be cited,
Ah come on, you know that I and everyone who reads this thread are going to be wondering what kind of traffic offense causes 25-30 vehicles to be pulled over simultaneously. :drool:

^^^ THIS! And for a first post too. :lol:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

gthaustex
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gthaustex »

I was wondering the exact same thing. Also, I'm impressed and somewhat surprised he would flag that many vehicles down at the same time. I would think that would present some logistical issues....

Apparently everyone decided to pull over and cooperate rather than ignore him....

38cobra

Post by 38cobra »

And where on I-10?? I travel long stretches of I-10 and always watch my speed around Luling.

Topic author
jross

Post by jross »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

Alright alright - mass illegal exit off the interstate to avoid a traffic jam . . . my bad.

The Annoyed Man

jross wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

Alright alright - mass illegal exit off the interstate to avoid a traffic jam . . . my bad.
I've done that once in my life—I-35E southbound, south of Royal Lane in Dallas. I took a dirt path "exit" along with other cars onto the access road in order to escape a traffic jam. Didn't get caught. There's an obvious "dirt road" exit here in Grapevine just before the Main Street exit on the northbound 121/360. Never had to use it, but I have often speculated whether local LEOs were keeping an eye on it. I always take the access road anyway instead of the freeway because it is just as fast from where I live, and a lot easier.

How do you look at yourself in the mirror? "rlol"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

jross wrote:Alright alright - mass illegal exit off the interstate to avoid a traffic jam . . . my bad.
You horrible person. Do you set kittens on fire too??
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

jmra

Post by jmra »

MadMonkey wrote:
jross wrote:Alright alright - mass illegal exit off the interstate to avoid a traffic jam . . . my bad.
I surprised DPS hasn't revoked his CHL. :mrgreen:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

One of the last trips I made to Missouri we were on I-30 heading east and an accident had the Interstate blocked. A DPS trooper was writing several vehicles citations that had decided to cut across the median head back west to try and get around the accident. He really didn't have too much trouble catching them as the median was really soft and they were all stuck waiting for a wrecker to pull them out. :smilelol5:

It was nice he gave you a warning. Attitude on both sides is a major factor in getting a ticket. I know several occasions where I stopped people and they talked themselves into a ticket vs. a warning because of their poor attitude.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

hillfighter
Banned

Post by hillfighter »

MadMonkey wrote:
What do you think caused the traffic jam?
"support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic"

The Annoyed Man

MadMonkey wrote:
Of course not. He pounds them flat with a 8 lb sledge.

#TINVOWOOT

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Keith B wrote:One of the last trips I made to Missouri we were on I-30 heading east and an accident had the Interstate blocked. A DPS trooper was writing several vehicles citations that had decided to cut across the median head back west to try and get around the accident. He really didn't have too much trouble catching them as the median was really soft and they were all stuck waiting for a wrecker to pull them out. :smilelol5:

It was nice he gave you a warning. Attitude on both sides is a major factor in getting a ticket. I know several occasions where I stopped people and they talked themselves into a ticket vs. a warning because of their poor attitude.
That is true. Some folks insist on arguing that the law is not what it says, and loudly cursing out the officer who's trying to just educate them on safety. Those folks just will not be satisfied until the officer hangs paper on them.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Wow. I did just that off of Hwy 290 a few weeks ago with a couple of squad-cars watching.

I guess evil is in the eye of the beholder.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

nyj

Post by nyj »

Not to be for certain, but I would say my CHL has gotten me out of a ticket (and jail) one or two times while on the bike.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”