Top 10 Things I Learned as a Copper

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Top 10 Things I Learned as a Copper

Post by Keith B »

srothstein wrote:Thanks, Keith, they are pretty good. Remembering that I started in law enforcement in the 70's just as federal grants were ramping up the college programs in law enforcement, I was taught a slightly different version of number 1. I was taught it as "Police Science is best applied at the end of a night stick."
I started in '78 and learned the same thing Steve. Watched one of our lady officers melt a large guy one night with one precisely placed swing. We decided she must have been the head majorette in her high school band because she sure knew how to twirl a baton. LOL

I had to resign my reserve commission with the department when I got married in '82 and moved to another town. The town I moved to had a couple of officers that had formerly been with our department. They tried several times to get me to join their reserve unit, but I was traveling too much with the real job to commit. I still have a lot of good memories (and a few bad) from my time as a LEO. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

OldCurlyWolf
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

Keith B wrote:
srothstein wrote:Thanks, Keith, they are pretty good. Remembering that I started in law enforcement in the 70's just as federal grants were ramping up the college programs in law enforcement, I was taught a slightly different version of number 1. I was taught it as "Police Science is best applied at the end of a night stick."
I started in '78 and learned the same thing Steve. Watched one of our lady officers melt a large guy one night with one precisely placed swing. We decided she must have been the head majorette in her high school band because she sure knew how to twirl a baton. LOL

I had to resign my reserve commission with the department when I got married in '82 and moved to another town. The town I moved to had a couple of officers that had formerly been with our department. They tried several times to get me to join their reserve unit, but I was traveling too much with the real job to commit. I still have a lot of good memories (and a few bad) from my time as a LEO. :thumbs2:

You started the same Year I did. Got my commission Nov. 18, 1978.
:evil2:
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Excaliber wrote:
gigag04 wrote:Day shift Lieutenants definitely don't get the joke that was hysteically funny on the (recorded) radio at 4am after you and your buddies went back in service from lunch.

I know because I got in a "that's what she said" at a really opportune time and got called on it...
If you don't get called in every once in a while, you're probably no longer having any fun at all.
I worked for a police department in college and while not a sworn employee, we did have a car with our own radio channel. Having the LT get on and ask you to call his desk is a rather humbling experience. My usual partner was enlisted Army (and is now an officer) and was well versed in pranks, especially at 0100 on a Saturday morning.

One more thing I'll add to the list, don't fall asleep while your partner is driving.

It's a shame my real time job and family life is so demanding, I'd love to get a reserve commission.
Psalm 91:2

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

anygunanywhere wrote:
Keith B wrote: 6. Apparently Jesus lives in the county jail.
Well, actually, He does live there, and he commanded us to visit Him there.

Anygunanywhere
...and all the people said...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”