What's with getting out of the car?

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
oohrah
Posts in topic: 3

What's with getting out of the car?

Post by oohrah »

Stopped by a DPS trooper for going 6 over in a 70 (wound up with a warning). But, after he took my stuff and came back, he asked me to step out of my vehicle, and we finished the session standing off the side of the road. My question is, do I have to get out of my vehicle if asked, and why is he asking me? Was it an alcohol thing? (I had not been drinking and there was no reason to suspect alcohol). Just curious.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Re: What's with getting out of the car?

Post by AEA »

Interesting first post. ;-)
I see no mention of a CHL, gun or anything else related to this Forum.
Care to give us more information on exactly what your interaction with the LEO consisted of after you were out of the car?
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
oohrah

Post by oohrah »

My CHL app is in the "waiting on background check" stage. I just found this forum and find it helpful for me to decide what/how to carry. Perhaps I misunderstood and posted in the wrong place, but with the forum title of LEO Contacts, I thought I would ask a question that has been bugging me. I think it is CHL related because I want to know what my rights are once I do start carrying and it happens again.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Zencyl
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Zencyl »

More than likely I would guess it was a safety thing. He didn't want to stand there with his back to traffic on the side of the road. I was stopped and had the same thing and I asked the trooper why before getting back into my truck and he said he has had too many close brushes with idiots who don't get over a lane and give him room to work.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

He probably asked you to step out of the car so he could move off the right of way, as was pointed out.

And yes, you have to obey the officer, whether it is getting out of the car or staying in it. SCOTUS has ruled on this matter several times.
Steve Rothstein

Moby

Post by Moby »

Good to have you sir. And yes, it is always wise to follow an officers instructions.
You are under no requirement to explain anything about your CHL status and you did post in the correct forum.
I hope your wait for plastic is a short one.
Welcome aboard sir.
AEA wrote:Interesting first post. ;-)
I see no mention of a CHL, gun or anything else related to this Forum.
Care to give us more information on exactly what your interaction with the LEO consisted of after you were out of the car?
Be without fear in the face of your enemies.
Stand brave and upright that the Lord may love thee.
Speak the truth always even if it means your death.
Protect the helpless and do no wrong!

Topic author
oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Thank you for your perspectives. Although I made a point of pulling way off the road, you're probably right about the safety issue, it's just the only time I was ever asked to get out, so it bothered me. I agree, always obey the officer.

and uh ... @Alan, I still have my 1911 from Nam.
USMC, Retired

AEA

Post by AEA »

Thanks for your Service! :tiphat:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

switch

Post by switch »

May have something to do with the area. City LEO have backup close, have to worry about traffic and, if you drive off, you have to deal w/traffic. Usually want you to stay in the car.
Troopers are out in the middle of nowhere, backup is minutes away and, if you drive off, they are going to have a high speed chase over narrow country roads. Not fun unless you are only 16. :(

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

A lot depends on the time of day. At night this is a useful tool to better smell if somebody has been drinking.

TREKFAN

Post by TREKFAN »

oohrah wrote:Thank you for your perspectives. Although I made a point of pulling way off the road, you're probably right about the safety issue, it's just the only time I was ever asked to get out, so it bothered me. I agree, always obey the officer.

Ill give you 10 boxes of 9mm or 45 for it. That's like 10000000000 bucks at today's prices lol.

Thank you for your service and welcome to the forum.
Application, Fingerprints & CHL class done by 1-12-13
All documents mailed USPS 1-16-13
All Documents Received, background check under review 2-1-13
Background check complete 2/15

CharlieH

Post by CharlieH »

Back in October or November the same happened to me, 76 in a 70 and I was instructed to get out of the car. Although the trooper gave me a citation instead of a warning.

I was driving my Wife's minivan, and she was in the passenger seat. She is a paraplegic. Her wheelchair was behind my seat (fit's there, so it goes there regardless of who's driving). I would think a trooper should notice the combination of handicapped plates and a wheelchair behind the drivers seat before ordering a driver out of a vehicle.

One more thing. I have always known to show my CHL even when not carrying, but for some reason I didn't think about it that time. I haven't been carrying much since my workplace no longer allows it (ownership change). He came back from his car to ask about it. It cost me more to take defensive driving than to pay the citation, but I wanted to keep my record clean. Had it been local I'm pretty sure I would have fought it.

TREKFAN

Post by TREKFAN »

oohrah wrote:Thank you for your perspectives. Although I made a point of pulling way off the road, you're probably right about the safety issue, it's just the only time I was ever asked to get out, so it bothered me. I agree, always obey the officer.

Ill give you 5 boxes of .22 lr and 20 boxes of 9mm. For it. Thats like 10000 in todays dollars. "rlol" :cheers2: just kidding if you wondering. Thank you for your service
Application, Fingerprints & CHL class done by 1-12-13
All documents mailed USPS 1-16-13
All Documents Received, background check under review 2-1-13
Background check complete 2/15

filmtex
Location: Southwest of Austin generally, Southeast of Dallas occasionally, Israel annually.

Post by filmtex »

Thanks for your service, Marine. And welcome to the forum.
"Come and take it."

I, do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic.

tonzofphun

Post by tonzofphun »

Before I had my CHL, I was pulled over by a trooper on I-45 around Texas City for speeding. That morning, I had forgot my wallet in another vehicle. I identified myself to the trooper and he asked me to step outside all the while he was verifying my information. He ended giving me a citation :(

I think it was probably easier for him to positively ID me this way.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”