GRAPHIC!! Hawthorne Ca Police shoot/Kill Dog

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
jayinsat
Posts in topic: 3

GRAPHIC!! Hawthorne Ca Police shoot/Kill Dog

Post by jayinsat »

WARNING! This video is disturbing.

Police, raiding a home shoot and kill the dog of a man recording the bust on cellphone.
I think the Dude was obnoxious but, in this case, the LEO's went way overboard. The guy was not breaking the law AFAIK.
[youtube][/youtube]

Another video with more pre-story and better audio
[youtube][/youtube]

Thoughts?
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

Dave2
Posts in topic: 4

Re: GRAPHIC!! Hawthorne Ca Police shoot/Kill Dog

Post by Dave2 »

I have an extremely low view of people who abuse their authority.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

fickman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by fickman »

It looked like the driver of the black car was trying to instigate something. Regardless, he should have made sure the dog was secured when he put it up in the car.

No matter what the cops' justification for detaining the man was, once they were attacked by the dog, they acted properly. It became a new event when the dog escaped the car. They were not quick to put him down, but were left with no choice when he leapt at the officer's arm.
Native Texian

C-dub
Posts in topic: 8

Post by C-dub »

Very unfortunate, because the dog did not do anything wrong.

Anyone know what the guy was being arrested for in the first place? If it turns out that they just didn't like him recording them and wanted to harass him then even though they had the right to defend themselves, that dog's blood is on their hands because they created the situation. And if that's the case I might also come to the conclusion that they knew it would lead to that. How could they not?

However, if there is a legitimate reason they were arresting the man his dog's death was his own fault.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
jayinsat

Post by jayinsat »

The only real difference between him and the other dozens of people videoing was, he was across the street, closer to the action. Maybe he violated some proximity rule?
Armed not dangerous but potentially lethal.
CHL Application mailed 10/2/12
Plastic in hand 11/16/12

Robert*PPS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Robert*PPS »

Wow.... If nothing else, the cop traumatized the lookie loos. That's sad. he may have been justified but, my God that's hard to watch. Does anybody have any follow up information such as where this happened and a news story?

C-dub
Posts in topic: 8

Post by C-dub »

Robert*PPS wrote:Wow.... If nothing else, the cop traumatized the lookie loos. That's sad. he may have been justified but, my God that's hard to watch. Does anybody have any follow up information such as where this happened and a news story?
Check the thread title. Hawthorne, CA
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

I saw the.video on YouTube. It doesn't say if guy was being arrested or detained. Fyi you can detain in handcuffs. The officer tried to get the.leash and when the dog attacked he fired. Not much else he could do at that point. He also appeared to be a cover officer. Sad for the dog. A Rott can cause serious bodily injury.

Robert*PPS

Post by Robert*PPS »

C-dub wrote:
Robert*PPS wrote:Wow.... If nothing else, the cop traumatized the lookie loos. That's sad. he may have been justified but, my God that's hard to watch. Does anybody have any follow up information such as where this happened and a news story?
Check the thread title. Hawthorne, CA
OK, don't bust my chops too hard....viewing from a cell phone, but thanks for pointing it out. :iagree: :oops:

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

Hate to see that. The poor dog wasn't at fault but at that point regardless of the legitimacy of the original stop it's an officer safety issue and the dog was clearly a threat,

Blindref757

Post by Blindref757 »

The dog owner was taunting the cops and it looks like they tried to warn him at least a couple of times. This is a very unfortunate event, but the lesson is when the cops tell you to do something, you probably should do it if it isn't unreasonable. He might have had a Constitutional right to free speech or expression of his displeasure with their work there. If he calms down and walks away, everything is probably fine. The dog didn't deserve to die, but the cop doesn't deserve to be bitten either. The owner should have obeyed the orders from the cops the first time, or secured his dog better.

Wes
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Wes »

The dog snapped at a stranger reaching for him while his owner is being 'attacked'. He did not lunge after the officer after the first shot, why did he need several more? Beyond excessive force to handle a dog that was laying on the ground a minute earlier. Even the first shot was unneeded IMO, the officer had plenty of room to back away. Alas, if a prying idiot wasn't being confrontational it wouldn't have gotten that far, but the dog didn't deserve to be punished for his owner being a pain. There better be a really good reason for being detained/arrested.
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

As some, including resident Gabriel Martinez, aimed their cellphones at the scene to record it, Rosby drove up in his rented black Mazda. Swain said Rosby stopped in the intersection with music blaring from his windows. Officers told him to turn down the music because they were trying to hear what was happening down the street. Rosby pulled forward, parked and got out with his dog, but left the music still playing loudly.

"It's distracting the officers," Swain said. "It's interfering with what they are able to hear. It's not just a party call. It's an armed robbery call. The officers need to hear what's going on with the people being called out of the residence. That music in his car is bleeding over and it's distracting them."

Martinez said the Usher song "Tell Me Again" was looping over and over.

Hawthorne resident Leon Rosby talks about his encounter with Hawthorne Police Sunday at 137th St. and Jefferson Ave. that ended with his Rottweiler Max being shot to death by officers. Rosby stands near the blood spattered sidewalk where his dog was killed. (Robert Casillas / Staff Photographer)
his car is bleeding over and it's distracting them."
Martinez said the Usher song "Tell Me Again" was looping over and over.

Rosby, who pulled out his own cellphone to record the police activity, did not lower the volume.

"I do apologize if I didn't immediately comply. The music may have been a little loud but I was complying," Rosby said. "I said, 'Sir, I want to make sure nobody's civil rights were being violated.' "A neighbor, who asked not to be identified, said the officers asked him to turn the music down, but he refused. Rosby, she said, responded, "It's my (expletive) radio!"

Rosby, 52, denied cursing, saying he was a Christian.
This was hours into a standoff with an armed gunman but this guy needed to ensure everyone's civil rights were safe. I would laugh if this guy didn't get his poor dog killed.

I wonder how him being christian works with the bearing false witness thing he has going on here?
"There was no way Max should have died like that," Rosby said. "Max was only protecting his master. He was trying to stop them from beating on me."
http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_235781 ... rest-owner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blindref757

Post by Blindref757 »

If you want to see why America is permanently screwed up, read the comments on the YouTube site under this video.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Dave2 »

Blindref757 wrote:but the cop doesn't deserve to be bitten either.
IF this video tells the whole story, I'm gonna have to disagree with you. It shows the cops arresting someone because I don't know, they were bored or something, and then shooting the guy's dog when it came to rescue its owner. Who should suffer the consequences of the officer's illegal conduct? Them, or the innocent pet?

Again, my statements only reflect my views based on the evidence I've seen (which I doubt is exhaustive).
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”