GRAPHIC!! Hawthorne Ca Police shoot/Kill Dog

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

C-dub
Posts in topic: 8

Re: GRAPHIC!! Hawthorne Ca Police shoot/Kill Dog

Post by C-dub »

I understand your points. The difference is that you don't know how much experience I really do have. I am not and have never been a LEO, but I have been in that situation with many dogs and I have subdued every single one of them without getting nipped or bit a second time and without hurting the dog. I've also broken up dog fights between two dogs without getting bit. Not every time, but I did learn from my early mistakes. I've trained with sport dogs from several different sports, police K9s, and military working dogs and done bite work with all these on sleeves and full bite suits.

My perspective is a little different when I approach someone with a dog like that or even a little dog that exhibits that dominant behavior. That was not those officers fault for not thinking about something they probably had no experience with. It takes many years of experience working with dogs to train one's self to not over react and hurt a dog that is acting like that.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

texanjoker wrote:It would have been a poor decision to let the suspect back into the car as that is something you never do. Reasons include the suspect can arm himself, take off, let the dog loose, ect. Again letting a suspect back into a car is something you do not do. He had put the dog up and walked away from the car. They didn't know the dog was going to bust out. I blame the dog owner and nobody else. Unfortunately that awesome rott paid the price. I love rotts. Had one over 14 years. They are GREAT dogs.
:iagree: Those officers did not have the knowledge required to save that dogs life and that is not their fault.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

C-dub wrote:
texanjoker wrote:It would have been a poor decision to let the suspect back into the car as that is something you never do. Reasons include the suspect can arm himself, take off, let the dog loose, ect. Again letting a suspect back into a car is something you do not do. He had put the dog up and walked away from the car. They didn't know the dog was going to bust out. I blame the dog owner and nobody else. Unfortunately that awesome rott paid the price. I love rotts. Had one over 14 years. They are GREAT dogs.
:iagree: Those officers did not have the knowledge required to save that dogs life and that is not their fault.
I had a good discussion with somebody last night after work that you would have liked. She felt they should have retrieved a bean bag less lethal shot gun. I had to laugh at some peoples naive beliefs. At the moment of the attack, you are going to have time to go to a car and get a LL shot gun?

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

C-dub wrote:I understand your points. The difference is that you don't know how much experience I really do have. I am not and have never been a LEO, but I have been in that situation with many dogs and I have subdued every single one of them without getting nipped or bit a second time and without hurting the dog. I've also broken up dog fights between two dogs without getting bit. Not every time, but I did learn from my early mistakes. I've trained with sport dogs from several different sports, police K9s, and military working dogs and done bite work with all these on sleeves and full bite suits.

My perspective is a little different when I approach someone with a dog like that or even a little dog that exhibits that dominant behavior. That was not those officers fault for not thinking about something they probably had no experience with. It takes many years of experience working with dogs to train one's self to not over react and hurt a dog that is acting like that.

:cheers2: There are a lot of good dog trainers out there.

Hawthorne PD released some good video and have backed their officers. Glad to see a good dept. Sad the officers and their families are receiving death threats? Wow.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local ... 75441.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

texanjoker wrote:
C-dub wrote:
I had a good discussion with somebody last night after work that you would have liked. She felt they should have retrieved a bean bag less lethal shot gun. I had to laugh at some peoples naive beliefs. At the moment of the attack, you are going to have time to go to a car and get a LL shot gun?
That ain't gonna happen. I'm with you on that one. That is very naive on her part.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

texanjoker wrote: :cheers2: There are a lot of good dog trainers out there.

Hawthorne PD released some good video and have backed their officers. Glad to see a good dept. Sad the officers and their families are receiving death threats? Wow.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local ... 75441.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Death threats? That's amazing! Maybe not for that neighborhood, but it should be. That's ridiculous and sad.

sunny beach
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sunny beach »

probation_officer wrote:I am not sure why this is getting so much publicity, the dog was lunging and the police officer stopped the threat. Case closed :smash:
Like when a citizen shoots a K9 that lunges at him?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

sunny beach wrote:
probation_officer wrote:I am not sure why this is getting so much publicity, the dog was lunging and the police officer stopped the threat. Case closed :smash:
The obvious difference that the K9 was commanded by an LEO in the lawful performance of his duties to subdue a resisting arrestee. It's called "using a less lethal" means of stopping someone violently resisting arrest or fleeing a crime. :roll:

K9 dogs don't just randomly lunge at people. Are you going to shoot the cop who tries to arrest you too? :nono:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Lucky
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Lucky »

On second thought, I have no dog in the fight.
Last edited by Lucky on Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
sunny beach wrote:
The obvious difference that the K9 was commanded by an LEO in the lawful performance of his duties to subdue a resisting arrestee. It's called "using a less lethal" means of stopping someone violently resisting arrest or fleeing a crime. :roll:

K9 dogs don't just randomly lunge at people. Are you going to shoot the cop who tries to arrest you too? :nono:

Very true. :iagree:

One of my partners K9 was shot and killed by a suspect...

I never had an accidental bite with any of my K9's. The only bites I had were ones when the dogs were deployed on violent felons.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cb1000rider »

texanjoker wrote: I never had an accidental bite with any of my K9's. The only bites I had were ones when the dogs were deployed on violent felons.
Ever get bitten yourself? I handled Shepherds for years as part of a local rescue group. The bites I've sustained were always from my own animals, typically when separating them from another. I did get tagged once (by my own dog) when pulling him away from a Pit Bull that was loose in our yard. I used to say that it's less money out of pocket for me to get stitched up than it was to let the dogs work it out on their own... I largely stopped doing that work after having some bad bites due to a dog that we decided could never be trusted socially around other dogs.

I've watched some of videos of K9 work and those dogs definitely see red sometimes.. It'd be easy to get bitten by an excited dog if you were in the wrong place. Bravo for your control of your dog.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

cb1000rider wrote:
texanjoker wrote: I never had an accidental bite with any of my K9's. The only bites I had were ones when the dogs were deployed on violent felons.
Ever get bitten yourself? I handled Shepherds for years as part of a local rescue group. The bites I've sustained were always from my own animals, typically when separating them from another. I did get tagged once (by my own dog) when pulling him away from a Pit Bull that was loose in our yard. I used to say that it's less money out of pocket for me to get stitched up than it was to let the dogs work it out on their own... I largely stopped doing that work after having some bad bites due to a dog that we decided could never be trusted socially around other dogs.

I've watched some of videos of K9 work and those dogs definitely see red sometimes.. It'd be easy to get bitten by an excited dog if you were in the wrong place. Bravo for your control of your dog.
I do not like breaking up a dog fight. We did not allow our k9's to get into fights for many reasons to include trying to break up the fight is dangerous. I rescued my pet female GS. I've been bitten in k9 training, but not by my dog. We all had to take turns on in the bite suit or wear a sleeve. The dogs don't always find that mark. In real life deployments you have to be very cautious when cutting the dog loose. Fortunately my dog never had a problem knowing who was who. It is amazing how smart those dogs are. I believe the bad guy puts off a smell and a good dog learns to know what it is. I also believe the k9 training materials (sleeve/suit) put off a different scent and the dogs learn to know that is training as well as you can see the difference in their demeanor. They also can sense our demeanor as it is more relaxed in training vs. hunting down an armed felon.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

texanjoker wrote:
cb1000rider wrote:

I do not like breaking up a dog fight. We did not allow our k9's to get into fights for many reasons to include trying to break up the fight is dangerous. I rescued my pet female GS. I've been bitten in k9 training, but not by my dog. We all had to take turns on in the bite suit or wear a sleeve. The dogs don't always find that mark. In real life deployments you have to be very cautious when cutting the dog loose. Fortunately my dog never had a problem knowing who was who. It is amazing how smart those dogs are. I believe the bad guy puts off a smell and a good dog learns to know what it is. I also believe the k9 training materials (sleeve/suit) put off a different scent and the dogs learn to know that is training as well as you can see the difference in their demeanor. They also can sense our demeanor as it is more relaxed in training vs. hunting down an armed felon.
Pheromones. When someone is being chased and is afraid they emit certain pheromones and the dogs pick up on that. Much of it is instinct and some of it is learned through experience. Many sport dogs don't know what to do when they don't see a sleeve or suit and become confused when confronted with a real live bad guy. He doesn't act like the guy in training. Dogs that can overcome that are special indeed.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

texanjoker wrote: I do not like breaking up a dog fight. We did not allow our k9's to get into fights for many reasons to include trying to break up the fight is dangerous.
It was always getting in the middle of a fight that got me. The common sense instruction was to let them work it out or come at them with something that would disable, but not get you hurt.
I had other breeds of dogs for years, but it's amazing how strong GSDs mouths are..

Great working dogs.. Amazing people that train and work with them.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

cb1000rider wrote:
texanjoker wrote: I do not like breaking up a dog fight. ....
It was always getting in the middle of a fight that got me....
The only way I have successfully broken up dog fights was by grabbing their back legs and picking them up like a wheelbarrow. Still need help getting them subdued, or I could be like the dog that chases a car and catches it: what do I do next?

Holding a dog like a wheelbarrow keeps me from getting bit, but if the dog is trying to bite me that is still a lot trouble at the other end.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”