Just got back home. Alarm at my offices went off!

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 9

Just got back home. Alarm at my offices went off!

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

We have had several burglaries in our office complex. I was almost asleep when my alarm company called that our bay door alarm had gone off. I made the drive in a record nine minutes...LOL. one officer was already there at the back door. I drove part of the way up nd told him I was the owner. He asked me to hang lose by my truck a minute because he had just arrived and his back up had not arrived around the front yet. While we waited at the back he says to me, I sure hope you didn't just come flying out here unarmed. You almost beat us here and that could sure be dangerous if you walk up on the bad guys and you aren't packing. I told him I had a CHL and yes, was armed. He said that's good. I'm not bothered in the least by citizens that arm themselves for protection.

His partner arrived, they went in first, with my key, and did the usual police sweep. All was clear, I reset the alarm. I have always kept a 357 revolver hidden under some papers in my desk drawer. When he asked me if there was anything of value at the office that might attract thieves I jokingly said the item I was most worried about was the revolver in my desk drawer. He suggested something I had not considered. It was suggested I might want to carry it back and forth with me rather than leave it in the office because if there was a burglar and he got the gun, it could make for a bad situation if the police arrived while he was still in the building. I took it home..... I think he had a good point. I don't leave weapons out when I am away from my house for that very reason. I don't know why I hadn't thought about it for the office.

Oh well.... That's my story, boring as it is. Looks like it was a false alarm or maybe a bad guy tried to open the door and set off the alarm... Who knows.

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Just got back home. Alarm at my offices went off!

Post by RPBrown »

We have hired some new people in the office and they haven't learned how to set the alarm yet so for the last 4 days I have been getting these same calls.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

gthaustex

Post by gthaustex »

Glad to hear it all worked out. Also, I am pleased with the attitude of the responding officer you initially spoke to. Good for him.

Reserve161
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Reserve161 »

I keep a gun in a holster that is velcroed under my desktop within easy grab. Not noticeable unless you get on your hands and knees...
PRIDE HONOR INTEGRITY

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

glock27 wrote:So do you plan to take ur gun collection with you everywhere? What if a burglar gets into your house and you arrive home with the door kicked IMO, then he is now armed in your home... same scenario by leaving your gun at work. IMO id keep the gun there, I wouldn't suspect a burglar going thru paperwork to were he'd find but I guess its possible.

Glad it went smooth

I have a safe. ;-)

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

I ALWAYS carry concealed so having a weapon within easy reach is easy for me. I would leave it there in case a situation arose while I was out and a couple well trusted people might need a weapon. I gave it some thought and agree with the officer. The two suites down from me were robbed a few weeks back. The perps dumped all kinds of stuff out of drawers and went through darn near every desk in the office. They are typically looking for the cash box many small businesses keep around for miscellaneous expenses. Anyway... we all have our CHL's in the office and I instructed everyone to start carrying on their persons or at least take their weapons with them when they leave. Heck, I almost beat the cop to the office. It could be me having a shoot out with a BG holding my own darned gun.

By the way... I like the idea of strapping a holster under the desk. Not bad and probably less likely to be found than a gun simply laying under some papers in a drawer.

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

gthaustex wrote:Glad to hear it all worked out. Also, I am pleased with the attitude of the responding officer you initially spoke to. Good for him.
Yeah... I was VERY PLeased with his response. I am thinking there may be more officers in support of concealed carry than some of us realize. It is up to us to be safe and not put them in an unsafe situation while we practice our RKBA. His female partner was just as comfortable with the topic as he was.

Dirthawking

Post by Dirthawking »

Sounds like you need a good bolted down safe at the office to put your gun in every night. Take it out when you get there and put it back in your drawer/holster.

Glad everything turned out okay with the officer/alarm.
Some people simply need a high five, to the face, with a chair!

Dirthawking

Post by Dirthawking »

03Lightningrocks wrote: ... we all have our CHL's in the office and I instructed everyone to start carrying on their persons or at least take their weapons with them when they leave.

By the way, just out of curiosity as I am a tech myself, do you allow/encourage your techs to carry in the field?
Some people simply need a high five, to the face, with a chair!

Topic author
03Lightningrocks

Dirthawking wrote:
03Lightningrocks wrote: ... we all have our CHL's in the office and I instructed everyone to start carrying on their persons or at least take their weapons with them when they leave.

By the way, just out of curiosity as I am a tech myself, do you allow/encourage your techs to carry in the field?
Nope. I encourage them to do as the law allows and what they feel comfortable with. I have no position on concealed carry at my company. I neither encourage it or forbid it.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

03Lightningrocks wrote:I ALWAYS carry concealed so having a weapon within easy reach is easy for me. I would leave it there in case a situation arose while I was out and a couple well trusted people might need a weapon. I gave it some thought and agree with the officer. The two suites down from me were robbed a few weeks back. The perps dumped all kinds of stuff out of drawers and went through darn near every desk in the office. They are typically looking for the cash box many small businesses keep around for miscellaneous expenses. Anyway... we all have our CHL's in the office and I instructed everyone to start carrying on their persons or at least take their weapons with them when they leave. Heck, I almost beat the cop to the office. It could be me having a shoot out with a BG holding my own darned gun.

By the way... I like the idea of strapping a holster under the desk. Not bad and probably less likely to be found than a gun simply laying under some papers in a drawer.
Image$16.95 AT NRAstore.com...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

johncanfield

Post by johncanfield »

03Lightningrocks wrote:By the way... I like the idea of strapping a holster under the desk. Not bad and probably less likely to be found than a gun simply laying under some papers in a drawer.
My buddy has a small jewelry manufacturing company and while he's in the office, his handgun is staged under the desk (and he practices drawing it and spinning around to face the door.)
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Reserve161

Post by Reserve161 »

Crossbreed holsters has some velcro-backed holsters as well (which is where I got mine)
PRIDE HONOR INTEGRITY

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”