Citizens' academy

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
MotherBear
Posts in topic: 1

Citizens' academy

Post by MotherBear »

I'm encouraging my husband to sign up for the citizens' police academy in the city nearest us (I confirmed we'd be eligible). I've done a couple of citizens' academies with different departments, but only pre-CHL. Any guesses as to what their stance might be on participants carrying? I figure we'll ask since when they run the background check they'll see the CHL, but I'd be interested to hear thoughts or previous experiences.

I'm hopeful it'll be a good experience. I've really appreciated the citizens' academies I've attended, and even if I haven't always agreed with what's said I think it's helpful to know the general attitudes and thinking of local law enforcement. I also thought that as CHLs, it might be good to preemptively build good relationships with local police.

mojo84

Re: Citizens' academy

Post by mojo84 »

I thoroughly enjoyed the one I did. Met a lot of great guys and learned quite a bit about how our sheriff's office works.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Waco1959

Post by Waco1959 »

MotherBear wrote:I'm encouraging my husband to sign up for the citizens' police academy in the city nearest us (I confirmed we'd be eligible). I've done a couple of citizens' academies with different departments, but only pre-CHL. Any guesses as to what their stance might be on participants carrying? I figure we'll ask since when they run the background check they'll see the CHL, but I'd be interested to hear thoughts or previous experiences.
I enjoyed the one I took in Waco, having a CHL was no problem, but carrying during class was not allowed nor while on your ride-along. Discussion during the sessions and before/after class made it clear the officers were not worried about folks with CHLs.

tallmike

Post by tallmike »

I have also taken a couple of citizen academies and they were different. The first one I took, with the Sheriffs office, was located in the admin area of their main building - which is also where the jail is located. During the opening comments of the first class the deputy in charge said "While I was doing your background checks I noticed that a few of you have a CHL. I want you pay attention to the jailer that had to buzz you into this area so you are now in a secured area of a jail. During our next break if you need to go out to your car, that is fine. Please don't tell me that you need to go to your car - just do it quietly and casually. Thanks"

At the other academy it was never addressed. The class was taught in a different building from the PD so carry was never an issue.

steve817

Post by steve817 »

One of the first things they told us when I signed up for the course in Arlington was to leave them (mine stayed in my car). I figured I was gonna be in a building full of people on the right side of the law and were hopefully better shots than me so I complied.
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.."
-- Ronald Reagan

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

tallmike wrote:"While I was doing your background checks I noticed that a few of you have a CHL. I want you pay attention to the jailer that had to buzz you into this area so you are now in a secured area of a jail. During our next break if you need to go out to your car, that is fine. Please don't tell me that you need to go to your car - just do it quietly and casually. Thanks"
hehehehe "rlol"
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Both the Jefferson and Orange county citizen academies are in secured areas of the building so carry is not allowed. Both counties encourage people to get a CHL.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

LSUTiger

Post by LSUTiger »

I went to the Sugar Land Police Department Citizens Academy. Very informative/eye opening. I highly suggest going to one where you live if available.

Even took a tour of the Office of Emergency Management control room/911 operations/jail in Sugar Land out on hwy 90.

Sugar Land PD makes the NSA look like amateurs with all their monitoring cameras & traffic light cameras all over the place and automatic license plate tracking devices on Police Units. They have an inconspicuous offsite facitity in the shopping center near Gander Mountain where they have tons of monitoring equipment and 24/7 monitoring personel.

Big brother lives in Sugar Land.

CC was not allowed in SLPD building or Jail. I had mixed feelings about SLPD officers, some seemed to dislike armed civilians while others didn't seem to have a problem with it.

One SLPD officer with an "I am the Law" Judge Dredd attitude went so far as to say in regards to CHLers that as long our guns were kept in our holsters we would be fine (implying his disapproval of CHL or the right civilians had to defend themselves). I didn't comment but I thought to myself, if the need arises, my gun would definitely be coming out. To H E double hockey sticks with this Storm Trooper, TSA, DHS reject.

Apart from one bad apple, the experience was positive and eyeopening. It gives you a view from an officers perspective.
Chance favors the prepared. Making good people helpless doesn't make bad people harmless.
There is no safety in denial. When seconds count the Police are only minutes away.
Sometimes I really wish a lawyer would chime in and clear things up. Do we have any lawyers on this forum?

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”