Becoming a LEO

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

gigag04
Posts in topic: 13

Re: Becoming a LEO

Post by gigag04 »

E.Marquez wrote:
gigag04 wrote: I guess it depends his bad you want something. I know a guy who finished an engineering degree (NOT online) by day while working 12 hour patrol shifts at night, and raising a family.

Sleep is a crutch.
I bet you sleep with that guys wife too :totap:

:smilelol5:

As a side note... 12's is that what Austin works?
I'm not sure, but I know it's best schedule.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

gigag04 wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:
gigag04 wrote: I guess it depends his bad you want something. I know a guy who finished an engineering degree (NOT online) by day while working 12 hour patrol shifts at night, and raising a family.

Sleep is a crutch.
I bet you sleep with that guys wife too :totap:

:smilelol5:

As a side note... 12's is that what Austin works?
I'm not sure, but I know it's best schedule.

Austin works 4/10's....

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

jmra wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:If the industry is going to start requiring a college degree then they will have to up the starting pay to more than 35k a year.
Many jobs requiring 4 yr degrees have a starting pay in that range. It's been trending that way for the last decade.
That's true, especially for liberal arts degrees. On the other hand, a lot of BA college graduates today have English and math skills on par with the top 10% of my high school class, so how much is that degree really worth? I'm not sure why taxpayer money should subsidize that kind of college "education" but that's a rant for another day.

According to the September 2013 Salary Survey, National Association of Colleges and Employers, college graduates with a humanities or social sciences degree had an average starting salary of $37,791 in 2013, up 2.6% from $36,824 in 2012.

Topic author
nightmare69
Posts in topic: 51

Post by nightmare69 »

Things are moving forward. I got sponsored and going to turn in all my paperwork to the academy next week. Already turned in my letter of resignation (felt happy and sick at the same time) and my last day will be January 24th and first day of class will be the following Monday the 27th.

Its happening.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

Excaliber
Posts in topic: 19

Post by Excaliber »

nightmare69 wrote:Things are moving forward. I got sponsored and going to turn in all my paperwork to the academy next week. Already turned in my letter of resignation (felt happy and sick at the same time) and my last day will be January 24th and first day of class will be the following Monday the 27th.

Its happening.
Congratulations!

You're entering into one of the most exciting, challenging and rewarding careers available (IMHO).

Demand excellence from yourself, and work hard to be the best.

If you follow that approach you'll do fine.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Excaliber wrote:
nightmare69 wrote:Things are moving forward. I got sponsored and going to turn in all my paperwork to the academy next week. Already turned in my letter of resignation (felt happy and sick at the same time) and my last day will be January 24th and first day of class will be the following Monday the 27th.

Its happening.
Congratulations!

You're entering into one of the most exciting, challenging and rewarding careers available (IMHO).

Demand excellence from yourself, and work hard to be the best.

If you follow that approach you'll do fine.
:iagree: That and remember that what they teach is a foundation. You learn how to be a cop by real world on the job training and experience. This will go against what they taught you in the academy. Hopefully you will land at a place with a knowledgeable group of training officers for field training.

Keith B
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Keith B »

:iagree: And go into both the academy and your on-job training with an open mind and be ready to discard a lot of your pre-conceived ideas and beliefs. Use your head and apply logic to leaning and you will do well.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Thanks guys really excited about this.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Last day at work is tomorrow then I start class Monday at 8am. Going to be sad leaving work after 10yrs but on to bigger and better things. I won't have health insurance for at least 4 months and Im sure Obama going to penalize me for that, oh well.

Mods...Can I start a thread over my experience as I go through the police academy? This thread is really long.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Remember the academy is a foundation. You will learn how to apply what you learned in field training and learn it isnt as black and white as taught in the academy. Good luck and be ready for PT.

You can cobra your heathcare which would be smart as many get hurt in the academy. If not employed then it is on you and not work comp.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

nightmare69 wrote: Mods...Can I start a thread over my experience as I go through the police academy? This thread is really long.
Sure.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Thanks, Ill start one in this LEO forum next week.
texanjoker wrote:Remember the academy is a foundation. You will learn how to apply what you learned in field training and learn it isnt as black and white as taught in the academy. Good luck and be ready for PT.

You can cobra your heathcare which would be smart as many get hurt in the academy. If not employed then it is on you and not work comp.
Yeah for $331 a month for low coverage high deductible insurance. I can't afford it working side jobs on the weekends here and there.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jbirds1210 »

Keith B wrote:
nightmare69 wrote: Mods...Can I start a thread over my experience as I go through the police academy? This thread is really long.
Sure.
I'm looking forward to it. Don't be late, say Yes Sir, make sure your boots and belt buckle look better than everyone elses's, and beg for more OC spray...they will think you are crazy and the pain is no more or less.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

jbirds1210 wrote:......... and beg for more OC spray...they will think you are crazy and the pain is no more or less.

Jason
Thank you sir, may I have another?! LOL
Keith

Topic author
nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

From what other officers have told my about the OC spray is they make everyone get hit with the 500k, but for extra credit you can request the 2 million. Im dumb enough to request it. Ill let someone get a video of that and Ill upload it.

On the tazer training I want to be hit with the real deal, not lay down and have them attach the probes to me. I want to be shot with the real thing if they will let me.

Edit: Give me some good thread titles for my academy thread.
5/20-Plastic in hand.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”