Daughter's stop last night

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

talltex
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Daughter's stop last night

Post by talltex »

puma guy wrote:I don't know what the process is but, there's a car in my neighborhood that has temp plates for over a year. Every 3 month's they get a new one. It's an industry in Pasadena.
If I was going to venture a guess, it would be that the car in question was sold to him on a "buy-here/pay-here" note, and the dealer that sold it isn't transfering the title to the buyer until he has been paid in full. Not exactly legal, but that way the title is still in the dealers name, so if the buyer gets behind on his payments, the dealer won't have to go through all the paperwork and legal forms to repo it. He can't get the metal plates for it without transfering the title to the buyer, so he's just printing up a new buyer tag each time it expires. Only a guess, but one I'd place a small wager on ;-)
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Post by puma guy »

talltex wrote:
puma guy wrote:I don't know what the process is but, there's a car in my neighborhood that has temp plates for over a year. Every 3 month's they get a new one. It's an industry in Pasadena.
If I was going to venture a guess, it would be that the car in question was sold to him on a "buy-here/pay-here" note, and the dealer that sold it isn't transfering the title to the buyer until he has been paid in full. Not exactly legal, but that way the title is still in the dealers name, so if the buyer gets behind on his payments, the dealer won't have to go through all the paperwork and legal forms to repo it. He can't get the metal plates for it without transfering the title to the buyer, so he's just printing up a new buyer tag each time it expires. Only a guess, but one I'd place a small wager on ;-)
The car was a city vehicle purchased in the local auction and I assumed they just never registered it and probably have no insurance. They are just that type of people. My observations on 30% were done while driving and seeing a lot of windshields without registration stickers so I decided to do a few random counts observing vehicles driving down the longer stretches of road. Not scientific I admit. Maybe your explanation fits a lot of those vehicles.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cb1000rider »

Keith B wrote:And as of today, HB 625 goes into affect and clarifies that the penalty for operating a vehicle on a public highway without displaying the two license plates assigned to the vehicle is a misdemeanor offense punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.
Good point. Of course, they were stopping people (personal experience) in the prior legislative session. They just couldn't issue a citation on the issue.

In my younger years, I was stopped on I-45 out of Houston for speeding. 4 mph over. I was asked to get out of the car and my vehicle was searched w/o consent. When I asked what the PC was, I was told that I was operating on a "known drug corridor". This was back before everyone had dash cams, so hopefully things have improved.

In your daughters case, there is a fine line between asking and ordering. It's not always clear, at least to me. Requesting clarification comes with it's own set of risks. And LEOs are almost always going to end up in the clear on the issue anyway as they can say they had some physical indication - smell, eye twitch, etc that grants PC but can't be seen on camera.... Basically it's not worth arguing about, IMHO.

If you're interested, press that dash cam issue. Let us know how hard that is to get.

Topic author
texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

cb1000rider wrote:
Keith B wrote:And as of today, HB 625 goes into affect and clarifies that the penalty for operating a vehicle on a public highway without displaying the two license plates assigned to the vehicle is a misdemeanor offense punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.
Good point. Of course, they were stopping people (personal experience) in the prior legislative session. They just couldn't issue a citation on the issue.

In my younger years, I was stopped on I-45 out of Houston for speeding. 4 mph over. I was asked to get out of the car and my vehicle was searched w/o consent. When I asked what the PC was, I was told that I was operating on a "known drug corridor". This was back before everyone had dash cams, so hopefully things have improved.

In your daughters case, there is a fine line between asking and ordering. It's not always clear, at least to me. Requesting clarification comes with it's own set of risks. And LEOs are almost always going to end up in the clear on the issue anyway as they can say they had some physical indication - smell, eye twitch, etc that grants PC but can't be seen on camera.... Basically it's not worth arguing about, IMHO.

If you're interested, press that dash cam issue. Let us know how hard that is to get.

I received an email that my request was ready so I have to find out when I can go get it. They were pretty quick.

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cb1000rider »

Cool.. Thanks for following up and let us know your assessment.

Topic author
texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

cb1000rider wrote:Cool.. Thanks for following up and let us know your assessment.

I emailed the agency and they said it went out in the mail today as I didn't have time to go get it. That impressed me :thumbs2:

trdvet
Posts in topic: 1

Post by trdvet »

cb1000rider wrote:They just couldn't issue a citation on the issue.
Sure they could.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 1

Post by E.Marquez »

trdvet wrote:
cb1000rider wrote:They just couldn't issue a citation on the issue.
Sure they could.
Issue yes, Adjudicated, NO, thus now reason to issue. It had no way to be handled after it was written.

That has been fixed.. see http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... ead#unread" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”