Daughter's stop last night

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

puma guy
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Daughter's stop last night

Post by puma guy »

Keith B wrote:And as of today, HB 625 goes into affect and clarifies that the penalty for operating a vehicle on a public highway without displaying the two license plates assigned to the vehicle is a misdemeanor offense punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.

Better get that front plate on folks.
Thanks , Keith. I asked the question regarding this and was told it wasn't addressed in the last session. Now I know better!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

puma guy wrote:
Keith B wrote:And as of today, HB 625 goes into affect and clarifies that the penalty for operating a vehicle on a public highway without displaying the two license plates assigned to the vehicle is a misdemeanor offense punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.

Thanks , Keith. I asked the question regarding this and was told it wasn't addressed in the last session. Now I know better!
The bill added section (e)
Section 504.943:

Operation of Vehicle Without License Plate

(a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway, during a registration period, a motor vehicle that does not display two license plates that:
(1) have been assigned by the department for the period; and
(2) comply with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.

(b) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a road tractor, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer that does not display a license plate that:
(1) has been assigned by the department for the period; and
(2) complies with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.

(c) This section does not apply to a dealer operating a vehicle as provided by law.

(d) A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection (a)(1) if the defendant:
(1) remedies the defect before the defendant's first court appearance; and
(2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.

(e) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

RJGold
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RJGold »

... or buy a motorcycle...
Lo que no puede cambiar, tu que debe aguantar.
Take Care.
RJ

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

RJGold wrote:

Or become a car dealer
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Robert*PPS

Post by Robert*PPS »

OP, please keep us updated on what you find and your opinion of it.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

texanjoker wrote: Gonna go request the video Tuesday as I want to see their fishing expedition and find out how long they had her detained before I form a final opinion about the stop.
Good luck getting the video. I submitted an Open records Request for the dashcam video of a stop on my daughter. They got an AG ruling stating it would interfere with the investigation of the offense (speeding). I sent AG a letter back stating she had plead guilty and paid the fine but AG office stated the department didn't have to release it. :banghead:
Keith

Shoot Straight

Post by Shoot Straight »

puma guy wrote:

They had time for penalizing missing front plates (which many other states don't require) but not for legalizing campus carry (which many other states allow) so it shows us exactly where the Texas legislators' priorities are.

Now it's up to us to remember when it's our turn to vote. :txflag:
Ride
Shoot Straight
Speak the Truth

chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

Shoot Straight wrote:
puma guy wrote:

They had time for penalizing missing front plates (which many other states don't require) but not for legalizing campus carry (which many other states allow) so it shows us exactly where the Texas legislators' priorities are.

Now it's up to us to remember when it's our turn to vote. :txflag:
Good luck with that. Joe Strauss is the major problem and you have a better chance of standing in your yard and getting hit by a meteor than you have of getting him out of office or, for now, even the Speaker's position. He has learned how to wield the power of his office to his advantage.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

Topic author
texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Keith B wrote:
texanjoker wrote: Gonna go request the video Tuesday as I want to see their fishing expedition and find out how long they had her detained before I form a final opinion about the stop.
Good luck getting the video. I submitted an Open records Request for the dashcam video of a stop on my daughter. They got an AG ruling stating it would interfere with the investigation of the offense (speeding). I sent AG a letter back stating she had plead guilty and paid the fine but AG office stated the department didn't have to release it. :banghead:

She received a warning so we shall see how it goes. I also asked for the CAD entry as I wanted to see how long she was detained. My feelings and concerns were already relayed by a friend to this leo :coolgleamA:

It was a good lesson though :thumbs2:

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

Post deleted by moi.
Last edited by Purplehood on Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gigag04 »

Keith B wrote:
RJGold wrote:

Or become a car dealer
Or register your vehicle in a one plate state
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

gigag04 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
RJGold wrote:

Or become a car dealer
Or just keep getting temporary tag from a used car dealer every 90 days for a ten 20 dollar bribe. :biggrinjester: About 30 % of cars in my city are temp tagged.

nightmare
Deactivated until real name is provided

Post by nightmare »

It's funny how things change when the shoe is on the other foot.
Equo ne credite, Teucri. Quidquid id est, timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

talltex
Posts in topic: 3

Post by talltex »

puma guy wrote:
gigag04 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
RJGold wrote:

Or become a car dealer
Or just keep getting temporary tag from a used car dealer every 90 days for a ten 20 dollar bribe. :biggrinjester: About 30 % of cars in my city are temp tagged.
$10-20 isn't enough to mess with the 15 minute hassle of logging into the DPS system and typing in all the info before it times you out, and then being charged $5 each time you print one... plus the cost of your approved Texas E-tag cardstock to print it on... plus the cost of your "approved Texas E-tag plastic bag to seal it in. I miss the good ol' days, when I could go into my local print shop and get a years supply of buyers tags for $10 and it took about 2 minutes to fill one out by hand. The State told us we would really like the new system because we could just punch it in the computer and not do "all that work" by hand anymore....they forgot to mention the $5 per tag charge, the special paper, or the special baggie. Just another, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you" moment. :grumble
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

talltex wrote:
puma guy wrote:
gigag04 wrote:
Keith B wrote:
RJGold wrote:

Or become a car dealer
$10-20 isn't enough to mess with the 15 minute hassle of logging into the DPS system and typing in all the info before it times you out, and then being charged $5 each time you print one... plus the cost of your approved Texas E-tag cardstock to print it on... plus the cost of your "approved Texas E-tag plastic bag to seal it in. I miss the good ol' days, when I could go into my local print shop and get a years supply of buyers tags for $10 and it took about 2 minutes to fill one out by hand. The State told us we would really like the new system because we could just punch it in the computer and not do "all that work" by hand anymore....they forgot to mention the $5 per tag charge, the special paper, or the special baggie. Just another, "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you" moment. :grumble
I don't know what the process is but, there's a car in my neighborhood that has temp plates for over a year. Every 3 month's they get a new one. It's an industry in Pasadena.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”