Officer Arrests Biker for License Plate

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

jmra
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Officer Arrests Biker for License Plate

Post by jmra »

SewTexas wrote:all I could think of when watching that video...."I would be terrified if that happened while I was riding with my husband!" that swarming behavior is dangerous!
:iagree: but everything you saw on the video was seen in real time by the police. I'd have to watch the video again to be sure but I believe I saw at least two police cars pass (or were passed) in the video prior the the biker being pulled over.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Post by EEllis »

jmra wrote:This is pretty simple to me - the cop screwed up. He pulled the guy over for the sole purpose of getting the footage and admitted as much on the footage.
If he had the common sense of an 8th grader he would have announced a legit reason for stopping the guy as soon as he got out of the car (assuming there was one, which I doubt).
This was simply a power hungry idiot abusing his authority - an "ends justifies the means" kind of guy that does not belong in law enforcement. Thankfully he is the exception instead of the rule.
Hopefully one day soon this guy is a cop wannabe instead of an actual cop.
What is even worse is he radioed in a check on the plate before he stopped the bike then arrested him for having it out of view.

Blindref757
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Blindref757 »

The cop is a jerk who was having a bad day. He took it out on a (most likely) law abiding citizen. I believe with every fiber of my being that the cop saw the camera and THAT is why he initiated the stop. Whatever discipline he gets is well deserved. He needs a warrant for the video and he owes the guy for slamming the door on his foot. Maybe not a Million, but the damages need to be punitive so that other cops get the message that they can't do this junk.

screaminz2002

Post by screaminz2002 »

I don't post much here as I normally just lurk and stay current on news and laws, but I figure I had to chime in on this. As a sport bike rider, I have a very good understanding of how you will be treated by the leo community. You are at fault period.. A car runs you over and drives off? Your fault and they dont care. It's not worth their time of trying to investigate something that has a very small chance of getting solved. You can get a lawyer and use the txdot cam footage but the police (at least ours in SA) will not take the time to do it. Even when the biker dies, and the motorist is ruled at fault, it is just an accident. Nothing more and its very unlikely the car gets anything more than a ticket. You knew the chance when you took the course.

I am not saying this to bash police but to tell you your options: Be able to provide proof to the police of the motorist that tried to kill you or take a wild chance the police might want your video for another reason.. People in cars are even starting to run their own video just to protect themselves. I highly encourage you to do this on a bike that your commuting on or riding a majority of the time. I also recommend joining some local FB or groups just to stay current on information. It will absolutely astonish you to learn what goes on every day to people all over your area.

The helmet is a great place to mount a camera. It sees what you see and can record your speed when something happens as you can see in the video. The biggest thing people will say is you were speeding because motorcycles are usually loud and 8k rpm to get in the power band sounds like you are doing 180mph. Also since you accelerate at about 3x the pace of the f250 next to you it appears you left everyone behind doing 100mph when you were actually just hitting the speed limit with moderate acceleration.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

jmra wrote:
SewTexas wrote:all I could think of when watching that video...."I would be terrified if that happened while I was riding with my husband!" that swarming behavior is dangerous!
:iagree: but everything you saw on the video was seen in real time by the police. I'd have to watch the video again to be sure but I believe I saw at least two police cars pass (or were passed) in the video prior the the biker being pulled over.

oh, I agree. I'm not even saying it was a reason to stop the guy, I was simply saying the behavior of the bikers was scary.

Then the poor guy had to deal with the behavoir of the cop....

I always say, there are two kinds of cops, luckily we have the know have several of the good guys here on the board, then you have the "bullies with a badge"...guess we know which one, he is....
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

jmra

Post by jmra »

Blindref757 wrote:The cop is a jerk who was having a bad day.
:iagree: it was obvious from the get go. He lit him up in an area where he knew he couldn't pull over. Then instead of just bumping the siren to make sure the victim sees him, he lets it run way too long (yes, I think the use of the term "victim" is appropriate). Hopefully he loses his pants in court.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

talltex

Post by talltex »

EEllis wrote:Why? I mean he has reason to believe that you captured criminal activity they can easily get a warrant to get the footage I would bet the only question is having you sit by the side of the road while they wait for a warrant. If they think you are in cahoots with the other bikers it makes sense that you might so something to the footage so it seems to me that, and mind you I have no idea about case law on such a thing, but it seems like they could make you sit and wait for a while at least while they get a warrant. You want to worry then worry about a smarter cop who wants to jam you up. If the cop had just acted like a regular stop and blamed it on the plate then he could arrest you and the camera would be in property and they can take their time getting a warrant.
:eek6 There is no charge for use of commas, periods or other forms of punctuation.
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 11

Post by EEllis »

talltex wrote:
EEllis wrote:Why? I mean he has reason to believe that you captured criminal activity they can easily get a warrant to get the footage I would bet the only question is having you sit by the side of the road while they wait for a warrant. If they think you are in cahoots with the other bikers it makes sense that you might so something to the footage so it seems to me that, and mind you I have no idea about case law on such a thing, but it seems like they could make you sit and wait for a while at least while they get a warrant. You want to worry then worry about a smarter cop who wants to jam you up. If the cop had just acted like a regular stop and blamed it on the plate then he could arrest you and the camera would be in property and they can take their time getting a warrant.
:eek6 There is no charge for use of commas, periods or other forms of punctuation.
Since I don't want to violate the rules I will just say I find your comment unnecessary and offensive. If you feel like stepping up then do so this passive aggressive thing is ... I think I'm about to bump into the rules so since I think I've said my piece I'm done.

talltex

Post by talltex »

EEllis wrote: Since I don't want to violate the rules I will just say I find your comment unnecessary and offensive. If you feel like stepping up then do so this passive aggressive thing is ... I think I'm about to bump into the rules so since I think I've said my piece I'm done.
We don't often agree on things, but I'll have to go along with you on this. I really didn't intend it to be offensive when I typed it, but I can see that it clearly is. I was out of line to post it and I apologize for doing so. :tiphat:
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

Jaguar wrote:It occurs to me, the winners in all of this are the lawyers. :banghead:
Yaaayyy!!!! A happy ending.

- A lawyer

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Wow - talk about making up some PC as you go :smash: . Then arresting him just to take the camera for an obstructed license plate? I wonder if this LEO's name is "stretch" as he is sure trying to stretch his authority into a place it doesn't go. Who gets arrested for an obstructed license plate? There is a term for that but it would violate forum rules if I posted it. Had he actually made the stop for the license plate being obstructed, he had enough time to run the guy and write the coupon and then he needed to cut the guy loose. Too many overstep their boundaries after that time with unreasonable detentions and in this case an unreasonable arrest. I guess he forgot that lecture about the letter of the law and spirit of the law. A 38 day suspension is a hefty fine and I imagine that he will get hit with a federal civil rights violation law suit for unreasonable search and seizure.

It does stink when you pull up to cover somebody and the incident is already in progress. You cover and then end up getting sucked into the lawsuit without even knowing it.

LAYGO

Post by LAYGO »

texanjoker wrote:Wow - talk about making up some PC as you go :smash: . Then arresting him just to take the camera for an obstructed license plate? I wonder if this LEO's name is "stretch" as he is sure trying to stretch his authority into a place it doesn't go. Who gets arrested for an obstructed license plate? There is a term for that but it would violate forum rules if I posted it. Had he actually made the stop for the license plate being obstructed, he had enough time to run the guy and write the coupon and then he needed to cut the guy loose. Too many overstep their boundaries after that time with unreasonable detentions and in this case an unreasonable arrest. I guess he forgot that lecture about the letter of the law and spirit of the law. A 38 day suspension is a hefty fine and I imagine that he will get hit with a federal civil rights violation law suit for unreasonable search and seizure.

It does stink when you pull up to cover somebody and the incident is already in progress. You cover and then end up getting sucked into the lawsuit without even knowing it.
Come one, only 2 offenses are non-arrestable, IIRC, one is open container, the other is MIP? Yes, you can ticket, but if you can arrest to get something out of it, why not? It sounds AWFULLY familiar to my case.
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

LAYGO wrote:
Come one, only 2 offenses are non-arrestable, IIRC, one is open container, the other is MIP? Yes, you can ticket, but if you can arrest to get something out of it, why not? It sounds AWFULLY familiar to my case.
FYI;
speeding and open container
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

OK, so you're driving along in your compact car......let's say it's a Toyota Camry or something analogous.......and a swarm of other drivers unknown to you, all driving in similar kinds of cars and exhibiting questionable driving behavior, overtakes you and passes you. Your car is kind of your hobby too, and it has nice aftermarket wheels and a spoiler, maybe some performance modifications, and some of the other overtaking cars driven by those strangers are like yours in that regard. You are not speeding, and you periodically switch back and forth between the "slow lane" and the one next to it, trying to balance your need to A) stay out of the way of the overtaking swarm, and B) out of the way of cars trying to merge onto the freeway. You have a GoPro camera on your dashboard recording all of this.

This same pissant officer comes up behind you, lights you up where you can't pull over, and when you finally do get to where you can safely pull over, this officer manhandles you and slams the door of his car on your foot, dismounts the camera from your dashboard and confiscates it, and drags you off to jail........

You're OK with all that? If you answer "yes," I'm going to call you out for not having fully considered all the implications, because:
  1. The officer would have had ZERO reason for picking you out of that group. He has, without reasoning it through, decided that because you're driving a compact car with nice wheels and a spoiler (profiling?), and so are the large group of strangers who overtake you, then you must automatically be with them......but he hasn't actually observed you violating the law. That is false reasoning. That's no better than if I were to arrest you because some other guy across town committed a burglary, and somebody, anybody has got to be arrested for it, and you happen to have brown hair, and witnesses say the burglar had brown hair. Doesn't matter if you're the guilty party or not.
  2. You have violated no laws, giving him no reason to pull you over instead of pulling over someone who actually WAS violating traffic laws.
  3. But, in the process of spiraling further into full retard, this dillweed has noticed that you have a GoPro on your dashboard, and he wants to confiscate it from you over some kind of obscure—and WRONG—thought process in his lint-stuffed brain that maybe your camera recorded what was going on. What's wrong with this? Well, for one thing, HE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW IF YOU HAVE IT TURNED ON OR NOT!!! For another thing, using that logic, he could just take you into custody as a material witness, on the grounds that you might have witnessed something. I mean, REALLY???
  4. When you rightfully insist on being given a coherent explanation for why you were 1) stopped in the first place, and 2) why your rights are being violated, this fool roughs you up and slams a car door on your foot, and steals your camera. (It is theft because he took it illegally.) Why does he do that? He does it because he 1) cannot articulate a coherent reason for having stopped you in the first place, and 2) he cannot articulate a coherent reason for violating your rights..........so he gets physical instead and "punishes" you for questioning the legitimacy of his authority at this point.
  5. Then, he takes you to jail (false imprisonment) where you have to spend significant cash to bail out, and then you have to spend more significant cash to lawyer up and go through the whole legal process, until someone higher up than him (in both rank and IQ) ARRIVES AT THE SAME CONCLUSION THAT YOU DID WHEN BACK YOU WERE STOPPED!!!!!! And who reimburses you for the expense of bailing out and retaining a lawyer? This waste oxygen was waaaaaaaaaay out of line and deserved the suspension without pay (a very unusual step....usually they are suspended with pay) pending the outcome of the investigation into his violation of a citizens Constitutional Rights.......
.......and you're OK with all that? :roll:

Thats the kind of thinking which permits all kinds of evil to happen in the world, and I'd like to hope that you're a better person than that. In fact, that is the kind of thinking that MOST cops would very much disagree with because it violates their oaths of honor—something which, fortunately, most of them take far more seriously that this guy did.

Here is my advice to you....... There is a very big difference between submitting to lawful authority on the one hand, and questioning that authority when it begins to behave unlawfully on the other hand (Rosa Parks comes to mind)......and that is the predicament our motorcycle rider found himself in. We either believe in the rule of law, or the rule of men. The victim here—the guy who was pulled over—put his faith in the rule of law and was rightfully outraged when he was singled out for persecution by a cop who fundamentally didn't care who he pulled over, as long as he pulled over someone on a motorcycle. That officer believed in the rule of men. The officer was after a group of motorcyclists and he lacked sufficient pre-frontal cortex to distinguish between a guy who was just cruising along on a bike, minding his own business, and the larger group that he was out to "teach a lesson." And since when is it a cop's job to "teach lessons?" In the old days, they used to lynch a black man if a white woman got raped, and if they couldn't identify which black man had done it (if it even was a black man), then any old black man would do. THAT is what you've just stood up for by defending this bad cop.

I want to respect the authority of police. I want to be able to have confidence that they are not setting themselves up to be my judge and jury. I want to know that they are just doing their jobs to enforce the laws made by other people and and that they are not making up their own laws on the fly. I want to know that they themselves will trust the rest of the legal system to dispense justice (or mercy if that's what's called for) to the people whom they stop, ticket, or arrest. And I want them to be conscientiously and absolutely cognizant of the fact that their authority over any of us depends on the legitimacy of their actions. I want them to know and understand that their actions are ONLY legitimate when they uplift and uphold the law......and that their actions are devoid of legitimacy when they HIDE BEHIND the law in order to break it. I want to live in an orderly society where all of us, the law enforcers too, stand equal before the bar. This fool betrayed all of that. Whenever a police officer betrays that trust, he further damages and erodes the confidence that The People can have in their law enforcement agencies. That is NEVER a good thing. Our society depends absolutely on impartial and reasonable law enforcement.

If this guy didn't want to be recorded on video for being crapulent, then he shouldn't have behaved crapulently. If he had been true to his oath of honor, he would have at the very worst written the ticket for not being able to read the license plate (I was easily able to see it on the tiny video) and simply let the guy go to deal with the ticket in court if he wanted to. That the motorcyclist complained about getting a ticket was totally irrelevant. It would even be irrelevant if he were guilty of the infraction. He has a first amendment right to complain about what he thinks is unfair treatment. Instead, this lint-headed fool of a cop decided to dispense street justice.

THAT is what this particular officer did here. He hid behind the law to dispense street justice, and there should be no place on any police force for a person who does this. Any police force that would retain such an officer had better make a public and very real and sincere show, through actions and not just words, of acknowledging the wrong and retraining the officer, and putting him on notice that his future employment hinges 100% on his faithful adherence to the oath of honor that he took when he became a police officer.

In case you have any haziness about what this means, here is a version of the oath of honor taken from the International Association of Chiefs of Police, so this is a globally recognized standard (http://www.theiacp.org/PoliceServices/P ... fault.aspx):
  • On my honor,
    I will never betray my badge (1), my integrity, my character, or the public trust.
    I will always have the courage to hold myself and others accountable for our actions.
    I will always uphold the constitution (2) my community (3) and the agency I serve.
Before any officer takes the Law Enforcement Oath of Honor, it is important that he/she understands what it means. An oath is a solemn pledge someone makes when he/she sincerely intends to do what he/she says. [emphasis mine]

Honor means that one's word is given as a guarantee.
Betray is defined as breaking faith with the public trust.
Badge is the symbol of your office.
Integrity is being the same person in both private and public life.
Character means the qualities that distinguish an individual.
Public trust is a charge of duty imposed in faith toward those you serve.
Courage is having the strength to withstand unethical pressure, fear or danger.
Accountability means that you are answerable and responsible to your oath of office.
Community is the jurisdiction and citizens served.
Down at the very bottom of that page, the following annotations are explained:
(1) Insert appropriate term such as: badge; profession; country
(2) Insert appropriate term such as: constitution, laws; monarch
(3) Insert appropriate term such as: community; country; land; nation
You and I both know that this officer's reasoning does not rise to meet these expectations of him. If you'll just admit that you were wrong this time, then you'll start getting a lot more respect from others for some of your other opinions going forward, even when they disagree with you.

Personally for me, if you can't admit it, then I just can't take anything you say seriously enough to give it due consideration before responding......which means I won't respond at all. I'd rather that not be the case.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

LEO threads: Forum Rule 9 prohibits blatant COP-bashing, but it does allow discussions of specific events. Until recently, this rule seems to have worked quite well. Unfortunately, there is a trend developing that is troublesome. Threads are being created concerning events involving law enforcement officers from other states. Some of these threads serve little if any legitimate discussion purposes and appear to have been posted solely to tarnish law enforcement personnel in general. These threads invariably invite one or more posts that are in violation of Rule 9. Equally troubling are the responses from a very few members who are obviously in law enforcement and who always take the officer’s side of any event either with insufficient evidence to make a decision one way the other, or in spite of evidence making it clear that the officer’s conduct was inappropriate or unlawful. Such responses are transparent on their face, but more importantly they tend to escalate the rhetoric in the threads in which they are posted.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=68162" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by mojo84 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”