1st encounter with CHL

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

yogihat
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 1st encounter with CHL

Post by yogihat »

Glad it went smooth for you. I've been stopped twice by RRPD and each time they were very professional. Warning both times for minor infractions. This was prior to my CHL. Haven't had any LEO contact since I got almost 5 years ago now.

JP171
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JP171 »

E.Marquez wrote:
GJwitha45 wrote:What about those of us who own vehicles that are not made to have a front plate?
What vehicle sold in North America in the last 60 years or so is that?

MOTORCYCLES!!!!! they are vehicles and they are sold in north america "rlol"

Mel

Post by Mel »

JP171 wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:
GJwitha45 wrote:What about those of us who own vehicles that are not made to have a front plate?

Motorcycles and trailers are exempt from the front plate law and only one plate is issued.
Mel
Airworthiness Inspector specializing in Experimental and Light-Sport Aircraft since the last Century.

JP171
Banned

Post by JP171 »

Mel wrote:
JP171 wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:

Motorcycles and trailers are exempt from the front plate law and only one plate is issued.

yes they are but the SGM didn't exempt them, he asked what vehicles didn't have a provision for a front plate I answered him and was being a smart aleck as well :woohoo

tbrown

Post by tbrown »

E.Marquez wrote:
Many vehicles sold in the South come from the dealer with no front license plate mount. The mounts weren't removed. The vehicles never had a front mount, which sure looks like they weren't made to have a front plate.

Yes, you can put on a front plate mount afterward, like you can put on a spoiler afterward. :smilelol5:

sent to you from my safe space in the hill country

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 8

Post by E.Marquez »

tbrown wrote: Many vehicles sold in the South
South what? We are in Texas... In Texas, south, north, east west or Austin ... Two plates are required.. A Licensed vehicle dealer is required to deliver a vehicle with a current inspection, and abiding all state and local laws..

DO some (many? ) not? why of course... but that's really not a fair part of the discussion as we are talking about what is lawful, moral and ethical.. :tiphat:

I know a Central Texas Chevy dealership that "forgets" to install plates on corvettes .. That does not change the fact ALL Automobiles being sold in the last 20 or more years are required IN TEXAS to have two plates when they leave the dealer/\.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

It is an interesting problem. My truck does come with a front plate, but when I ordered it new with the front push bars the mount will not fit and the dealer left the mount and plate on the floor of the truck when I picked up the truck brand spanking new. Since I have owned the truck, it has never had a front plate because the mount cannot be mounted to where it was designed to be. That's been like that for over 8 years now. Now, maybe since the push bars are there it cannot be discerned if there is a plate there or not at a glance.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

C-dub wrote:It is an interesting problem. My truck does come with a front plate, but when I ordered it new with the front push bars the mount will not fit and the dealer left the mount and plate on the floor of the truck when I picked up the truck brand spanking new. Since I have owned the truck, it has never had a front plate because the mount cannot be mounted to where it was designed to be. That's been like that for over 8 years now. Now, maybe since the push bars are there it cannot be discerned if there is a plate there or not at a glance.
Same law apply s, same deal with the dealership.. What they were supposed to do..and what they did do..

TC 502.404
(a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle
The use of the word front has been an issue a few times ... One court held the front was the forward most portion of the vehicle. While another court said, front did not mean that... because many do not have the real plate on the "rearward most portion of the vehicle"
http://www.cca.courts.state.tx.us/OPINI ... 458-09.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the end, case law, and the law itself is pretty clear, two plates... Less is a violation of TC 502.404 far as this non LEO, non lawyer can tell :headscratch
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

talltex

Post by talltex »

E.Marquez wrote: I know a Central Texas Chevy dealership that "forgets" to install plates on corvettes .. That does not change the fact ALL Automobiles being sold in the last 20 or more years are required IN TEXAS to have two plates when they leave the dealer/\.
:nono: Only certain dealerships that participate in the electronic registration program (which includes most metro area stores) are required to issue plates at the dealership itself. Elsewhere, the vehicle leaves the dealership with a temporary paper tag mounted on the rear of the vehicle, good for 60 days. The dealer then takes the paperwork to the local county Tax Assessor/Collector's office and registers it and THEY issue the metal plates. They will either mail them directly to the buyer or hand them over to the dealer to deliver to the buyer, but in either case the dealer has no obligation to install the plates. They will if the customer wants them too, but if the customer says "just give'em to me and I'll take care of it, he can install them as he pleases.
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

talltex wrote:Only certain dealerships that participate in the electronic registration program
Good ppoint..

That is what I meant, but not what I wrote :lol:

WHEN a dealership installs plates, they are REQUIRED to install both, but often don't.

As several posters above were talking about THEIR selling dealer did not install BOTH plates,,, that is what I was specifically talking about...
Sorry for the confusion.

No one above I see was discussing Temp paper dealer tags... so I did not touch on that point. :nono: :smilelol5:

Thanks for the catch.

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

E.Marquez wrote:I know a Central Texas Chevy dealership that "forgets" to install plates on corvettes
If you're saying they come from the factory without them, it looks like you answered your own question to GJwitha45.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

bizarrenormality wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:I know a Central Texas Chevy dealership that "forgets" to install plates on corvettes
If you're saying they come from the factory without them, it looks like you answered your own question to GJwitha45.
No Im not... Of course the car comes from the factory without plates :tiphat:

Most all come without the plate holders installed, if that model car uses holders.. that is part of PDI..

Again, still,,,, and then Im done..... The car is required to have two plates, that is not in question, Every car in Texas...Unless someone can point me to the exception in the law someplace that I have missed.

If a dealership sells that car with only one, license plate installed and the other handed to them,, Thats not right,, it's common.. But that is not in question.
I get the feeling a few want to justify there desire to do other then what the law states,,or just like to argue..
So be it...
Im out on this one. :cheers2:

bizarrenormality

I'm not talking about Texas law. I'm disputing the false claim that every car in the past 60 years is designed to have a front license plate. Witness all the cars that leave the factory with a rear plate mounting point and hardware but no hardware for mounting a front plate. As manufactured, they "are not made to have a front plate" like GJwitha45 said.

bizarrenormality

E.Marquez wrote:
tbrown wrote: Many vehicles sold in the South
South what?
Hint: AR, LA, MS, TN, KY, NC, SC, GA, FL, AL... :biggrinjester:

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”