Charlotte police kill unarmed man who may have needed help

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

BigBangSmallBucks
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Charlotte police kill unarmed man who may have needed he

Post by BigBangSmallBucks »

EEllis wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
If that's what you think you're reading into it all wrong, the vast majority of Americans that own guns don't shoot them regularly so you have to take accuracy into account. Taking accuracy into account=no magazine restrictions. And I've seen lions taken down with less than 10 shots so trust me it doesn't take 10 shots to stop a man.

Lion Link provided
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow you think showing a lion who was still being shot in the head 4 times and was still alive proves something? There was a case of a brown bear being shot and killed with a single 22, want to go try that?

And just to show that you can not say that 10 round is enough
In one case, the subject attacked the officer with a knife. The officer shot the individual four times in the
chest; then, his weapon malfunctioned. The offender continued to walk toward the officer. After the
officer cleared his weapon, he fired again and struck the subject in the chest. Only then did the offender
drop the knife. This individual was hit five times with 230-grain, .45-caliber hollow-point ammunition
and never fell to the ground. The offender later stated, “The wounds felt like bee stings.”
In another case, officers fired six .40-caliber, hollow-point rounds at a subject who pointed a gun at
them. Each of the six rounds hit the individual with no visible effect. The seventh round severed his
spinal cord, and the offender fell to the ground, dropping his weapon. This entire firefight was captured
by several officers’ in-car video cameras.
In a final case, the subject shot the victim officer in the chest with a handgun and fled. The officer,
wearing a bullet-resistant vest, returned gunfire. The officer’s partner observed the incident and also
fired at the offender. Subsequent investigation determined that the individual was hit 13 times and, yet,
ran several blocks to a gang member’s house. He later said, “I was so scared by all those shots; it
sounded like the Fourth of July.” Again, according to the subject, his wounds “only started to hurt when
I woke up in the hospital.” The officers had used 9-millimeter, department-issued ammunition. The
surviving officers re ported that they felt vulnerable
Actual cops, real bad guys and real life situations not an animal in a cage.
http://www.rrmemphis.com/myth.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Care to post video links to those particular incidents? This is the video age where you can't even leave your house and walk 2 blocks without being caught on some sort of video surveillance at least 3 or 4 times so if I don't see it with my own eyes I don't believe it.

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by EEllis »

BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
Care to post video links to those particular incidents? This is the video age where you can't even leave your house and walk 2 blocks without being caught on some sort of video surveillance at least 3 or 4 times so if I don't see it with my own eyes I don't believe it.
No. Waste your own time not mine.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

texanjoker wrote:
Javier730 wrote:He fired 12 times and hit him 10 times. Thats probably why hes in trouble. No need to shoot someone 10 times.
Disagree there. You fire until the threat stops. Some whacked out people take more then 1 or 2 shots. In shootings it is proven people loose track of shots, time, ect. You can unload a magazine in a split second w/o realizing it. I know I only heard one shot in my shooting and actually had fired several more shots.
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:So you tell me how many shots does it take to "stop a threat" I've seen countless videos of criminals on every drug know to man in shoot outs with police and unless they were in a vehicle and not ftf it didn't take 10 shots to stop them.
This ^^. texanjoker beat me to it. I'm not going to say that 12 shots was appropriate, but I'm not going to say it wasn't either. I wasn't there, and neither were any of us. As texanjoker has said, in a REAL shooting, you might fire more rounds than you thought you had. Also, we keep telling new CHL students what, exactly? That's right.....we tell them, "You don't shoot to kill. You shoot to stop the threat." We also know just from the body of evidence from all shootings, that the "one shot stop" scenario is largely bunk. The human body can absorb a LOT of penetrating trauma before it is put down. How many soldiers fight through to the end of a firefight, having been hit more than once? It happens. A LOT. I have personally helped to treat a fairly large number of gunshot victims who were NOT put down by the first round. I remember a guy who got hit 4 times in the back with a .38, from fairly close, and he ran several blocks to his car, jumped in it, and drove himself to the ER, parked his car across the street in the outpatient parking lot, and walked under his own power into the waiting room and told the triage nurse, "I think I've been shot." It wasn't until then that he started to get woozy and pass out. Search these pages. This is an OLD and ongoing discussion in the caliber wars. As it happens, nobody "stops" until they either quit......which is a mental thing.....or a bullet has struck a vital region instantly incapacitating the person.

The victim was a 24 year old former Florida A&M football player. That means he was likely a fairly big and strong guy......a guy used to taking hits and still playing. This is tragic if he was simply in an altered mental state from the effects of the accident, and it is criminal if he was so stoned he was out of control, but either way, that doesn't remove the officer's right to defend himself, because HE doesn't know what condition the guy is in. What he does know is that the victim keeps absorbing bullets and not going down, and now the guy is on top of him in full contact.

Would you prefer he wait and see if the guy kills him first?

It may turn out that the officer's actions are indefensible. But the fact is, we don't know. We don't have the toxicology reports, and we don't have the video. We don't know why the other officers didn't shoot. Just maybe they didn't shoot because the victim was already all over their brother officer and they didn't want to shoot him also. That's the trouble with this one. There's just a whole lot of "maybes," and we lack facts. So I'm going to go with "no opinion" until someone with access to the facts gets it all sorted out.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
texanjoker wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
tomtexan wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
tomtexan wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
Javier730 wrote:He fired 12 times and hit him 10 times. Thats probably why hes in trouble. No need to shoot someone 10 times.
:iagree:

Plus he was the only cop to discharge his weapon. How many shots does it take to stop a man? Certainly not 10 and I can bet most of those shots were in the torso.
And again...
texanjoker wrote: Disagree there. You fire until the threat stops. Some whacked out people take more then 1 or 2 shots. In shootings it is proven people loose track of shots, time, ect. You can unload a magazine in a split second w/o realizing it. I know I only heard one shot in my shooting and actually had fired several more shots.
So you tell me how many shots does it take to "stop a threat" I've seen countless videos of criminals on every drug know to man in shoot outs with police and unless they were in a vehicle and not ftf it didn't take 10 shots to stop them.
You don't know that. I'm betting that you weren't there, so you have no idea what it took to stop the guy. The fact of the matter is, you nor anyone knows how many shots it takes to stop the threat until the threat is stopped. Here is a story of a man that was shot four times in the torso with a .45 while sitting on top of a policeman, beating on him, and still didn't stop until the fifth shot, which was to the head that stopped the threat.
Bystander Fired Deadly Shot, Not Officer
5 still equals 1/2 of 10. With the millions of police videos online I challenge you to find ACTUAL video of someone not wearing body armor that isn't in a vehicle being shot more than 8 times and not dropping to the ground.
Look all you want you WON'T find it because it doesn't exist that's because it doesn't take that many shots to drop a man.
Whether he's on the strongest drug known to man or perfectly sober, this is "real life" actual and factual not made Hollywood.
IMO you are making a great argument for magazine capacity restrictions :thumbs2: Saying there is a magical number of shots needed to stop a threat is precisely what the lib's say. In the real world one fires until the threat is stopped and if it takes an entire magazine you do that and reload for the next threat.
If that's what you think you're reading into it all wrong, the vast majority of Americans that own guns don't shoot them regularly so you have to take accuracy into account. Taking accuracy into account=no magazine restrictions. And I've seen lions taken down with less than 10 shots so trust me it doesn't take 10 shots to stop a man.

Lion Link provided
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What do you consider the acceptable number of rounds one should be allowed to shoot into a person?

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

BigBangSmallBucks wrote:So you tell me how many shots does it take to "stop a threat" I've seen countless videos of criminals on every drug know to man in shoot outs with police and unless they were in a vehicle and not ftf it didn't take 10 shots to stop them.
Each case is different and based on many factors including the drugs the person has taken and his mindset. I will point out that in the FBI Miami shootout in 1986, the one criminal took a non-survivable hit severing one of his arteries from the first shot fired. He managed to keep fighting through several other hits, including some from a 12 gauge shotgun (in the legs, admittedly). He managed to fire more than 200 rounds, killing two agents and wounding more.

There are also documented cases from a single small caliber shot killing a person who should not have died based on injuries. I heard of one case that I do not remember well where an officer took a single hit in the arm, lost less than a pint of blood, but was found dead. The medical thought went to shock while the police training thought went to "Bang Bang, I got you, you are dead" mindset.

Since the person shot in this case managed to actually make physical contact with the officer, I would say it took ten shots to stop him.
Steve Rothstein

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Unbelievable.
III

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”