Charlotte police kill unarmed man who may have needed help

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Charlotte police kill unarmed man who may have needed he

Post by RogueUSMC »

Javier730 wrote:He fired 12 times and hit him 10 times. Thats probably why hes in trouble. No need to shoot someone 10 times.
philip964 wrote: ...The victim made physical contact with the officer as apparently repeated calls were made for him to stop....
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

C-dub wrote:
The officer wouldn't have known about any possible intoxication or drug levels at the time.
I can see the officer being acquitted if it even makes it to trial. In a crazy scenario like that he may have had legitimate fear for his life and only 1-2 seconds to make up his mind. I can't really fault the officer for that, but 10/12 shots hit is either crazy accuracy or crazy luck from anyone during a situation like that.

I am also scratching my head at why they charged him so quickly. It could have been because there is something else known that has not been released yet or they did it preemptively to avoid riots.
True he won't know the "levels" nor does he need to. The investigation will need to show what levels there may have been to show whether not they were present. The officer will see what he sees, and based on his training and experience, that could include a person displaying visible symptoms of a person that is under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Javier730 wrote:He fired 12 times and hit him 10 times. Thats probably why hes in trouble. No need to shoot someone 10 times.

Disagree there. You fire until the threat stops. Some whacked out people take more then 1 or 2 shots. In shootings it is proven people loose track of shots, time, ect. You can unload a magazine in a split second w/o realizing it. I know I only heard one shot in my shooting and actually had fired several more shots.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Abraham »

"No need to shoot someone 10 times"

Wrong!

If an attacker keeps attacking to kill you - are you going to ration count yourself...?

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

Abraham wrote:"No need to shoot someone 10 times"

Wrong!

If an attacker keeps attacking to kill you - are you going to ration count yourself...?
THIS^^
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

philip964
Posts in topic: 4

Post by philip964 »

C-dub wrote:
I am also scratching my head at why they charged him so quickly. It could have been because there is something else known that has not been released yet or they did it preemptively to avoid riots.
There is one specific answer to this question, but it will not come from my typing fingers. You will need to research it on your own.

However, it may be the video, as I understand three shots were fired after a pause. I don't know if this was with the victim on the ground or not.

No Las Vegas officers were arrested for shooting Erik Scott while he was lying dieing on the ground. But Erik Scott was not African American.

BTW the reason for so many hits vs misses in the officer's shooting, is not so much his skill, it is the distance he fired. It is hard to miss someone big coming at you and you start shooting at 10 feet.

BigBangSmallBucks
Posts in topic: 5

Post by BigBangSmallBucks »

:iagree:

Plus he was the only cop to discharge his weapon. How many shots does it take to stop a man? Certainly not 10 and I can bet most of those shots were in the torso.

Topic author
tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

BigBangSmallBucks wrote:

Plus he was the only cop to discharge his weapon. How many shots does it take to stop a man? Certainly not 10 and I can bet most of those shots were in the torso.
And again...
texanjoker wrote: Disagree there. You fire until the threat stops. Some whacked out people take more then 1 or 2 shots. In shootings it is proven people loose track of shots, time, ect. You can unload a magazine in a split second w/o realizing it. I know I only heard one shot in my shooting and actually had fired several more shots.
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

BigBangSmallBucks

tomtexan wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:

And again...
texanjoker wrote: Disagree there. You fire until the threat stops. Some whacked out people take more then 1 or 2 shots. In shootings it is proven people loose track of shots, time, ect. You can unload a magazine in a split second w/o realizing it. I know I only heard one shot in my shooting and actually had fired several more shots.
So you tell me how many shots does it take to "stop a threat" I've seen countless videos of criminals on every drug know to man in shoot outs with police and unless they were in a vehicle and not ftf it didn't take 10 shots to stop them.

Topic author
tomtexan

Post by tomtexan »

BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
tomtexan wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:

And again...
So you tell me how many shots does it take to "stop a threat" I've seen countless videos of criminals on every drug know to man in shoot outs with police and unless they were in a vehicle and not ftf it didn't take 10 shots to stop them.
You don't know that. I'm betting that you weren't there, so you have no idea what it took to stop the guy. The fact of the matter is, you nor anyone knows how many shots it takes to stop the threat until the threat is stopped. Here is a story of a man that was shot four times in the torso with a .45 while sitting on top of a policeman, beating on him, and still didn't stop until the fifth shot, which was to the head that stopped the threat.
Bystander Fired Deadly Shot, Not Officer
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

BigBangSmallBucks

tomtexan wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
tomtexan wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:

And again...
You don't know that. I'm betting that you weren't there, so you have no idea what it took to stop the guy. The fact of the matter is, you nor anyone knows how many shots it takes to stop the threat until the threat is stopped. Here is a story of a man that was shot four times in the torso with a .45 while sitting on top of a policeman, beating on him, and still didn't stop until the fifth shot, which was to the head that stopped the threat.
5 still equals 1/2 of 10. With the millions of police videos online I challenge you to find ACTUAL video of someone not wearing body armor that isn't in a vehicle being shot more than 8 times and not dropping to the ground. Look all you want you WON'T find it because it doesn't exist that's because it doesn't take that many shots to drop a man. Whether he's on the strongest drug known to man or perfectly sober, this is "real life" actual and factual not made Hollywood.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
tomtexan wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
tomtexan wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:

And again...
5 still equals 1/2 of 10. With the millions of police videos online I challenge you to find ACTUAL video of someone not wearing body armor that isn't in a vehicle being shot more than 8 times and not dropping to the ground.
Look all you want you WON'T find it because it doesn't exist that's because it doesn't take that many shots to drop a man.
Whether he's on the strongest drug known to man or perfectly sober, this is "real life" actual and factual not made Hollywood.
IMO you are making a great argument for magazine capacity restrictions :thumbs2: Saying there is a magical number of shots needed to stop a threat is precisely what the lib's say. In the real world one fires until the threat is stopped and if it takes an entire magazine you do that and reload for the next threat.

sunny beach
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sunny beach »

BigBangSmallBucks wrote:Plus he was the only cop to discharge his weapon.
If that's true and the other officers didn't think the car crash victim was a threat, that could explain the quick arrest. Does anybody else remember that teen shot in Toronto by one cop when no other officers fired?

BigBangSmallBucks

texanjoker wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
tomtexan wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
tomtexan wrote:
BigBangSmallBucks wrote:

And again...
5 still equals 1/2 of 10. With the millions of police videos online I challenge you to find ACTUAL video of someone not wearing body armor that isn't in a vehicle being shot more than 8 times and not dropping to the ground.
Look all you want you WON'T find it because it doesn't exist that's because it doesn't take that many shots to drop a man.
Whether he's on the strongest drug known to man or perfectly sober, this is "real life" actual and factual not made Hollywood.
IMO you are making a great argument for magazine capacity restrictions :thumbs2: Saying there is a magical number of shots needed to stop a threat is precisely what the lib's say. In the real world one fires until the threat is stopped and if it takes an entire magazine you do that and reload for the next threat.
If that's what you think you're reading into it all wrong, the vast majority of Americans that own guns don't shoot them regularly so you have to take accuracy into account. Taking accuracy into account=no magazine restrictions. And I've seen lions taken down with less than 10 shots so trust me it doesn't take 10 shots to stop a man.

Lion Link provided
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EEllis
Banned

Post by EEllis »

BigBangSmallBucks wrote:
If that's what you think you're reading into it all wrong, the vast majority of Americans that own guns don't shoot them regularly so you have to take accuracy into account. Taking accuracy into account=no magazine restrictions. And I've seen lions taken down with less than 10 shots so trust me it doesn't take 10 shots to stop a man.

Lion Link provided
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow you think showing a lion who was still being shot in the head 4 times and was still alive proves something? There was a case of a brown bear being shot and killed with a single 22, want to go try that?

And just to show that you can not say that 10 round is enough
In one case, the subject attacked the officer with a knife. The officer shot the individual four times in the
chest; then, his weapon malfunctioned. The offender continued to walk toward the officer. After the
officer cleared his weapon, he fired again and struck the subject in the chest. Only then did the offender
drop the knife. This individual was hit five times with 230-grain, .45-caliber hollow-point ammunition
and never fell to the ground. The offender later stated, “The wounds felt like bee stings.”
In another case, officers fired six .40-caliber, hollow-point rounds at a subject who pointed a gun at
them. Each of the six rounds hit the individual with no visible effect. The seventh round severed his
spinal cord, and the offender fell to the ground, dropping his weapon. This entire firefight was captured
by several officers’ in-car video cameras.
In a final case, the subject shot the victim officer in the chest with a handgun and fled. The officer,
wearing a bullet-resistant vest, returned gunfire. The officer’s partner observed the incident and also
fired at the offender. Subsequent investigation determined that the individual was hit 13 times and, yet,
ran several blocks to a gang member’s house. He later said, “I was so scared by all those shots; it
sounded like the Fourth of July.” Again, according to the subject, his wounds “only started to hurt when
I woke up in the hospital.” The officers had used 9-millimeter, department-issued ammunition. The
surviving officers re ported that they felt vulnerable
Actual cops, real bad guys and real life situations not an animal in a cage.
http://www.rrmemphis.com/myth.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”