Houston Police Chief hits pedestrian with city vehicle

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

bizarrenormality

Re: Houston Police Chief hits pedestrian with city vehicle

Post by bizarrenormality »

Watching the video, it looks like he speeds up before plowing into the lawyer.

rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rbwhatever1 »

I posted from my phone earlier and had not seen the video until now. That was a pretty visible incident area. I wonder if the Chief was texting since he clearly was not watching his direction of turn. I also see that the cross traffic light was red in the pedestrians area so that little walking dude light must have been flashing telling the Law Abiding Non Jay Walking Civilians that it was safe to cross NOW PEOPLE GO NOW PEOPLE HURRY UP FLASH FLASH FLASH BEEP BEEP BEEP. Unless of course, the Chief of Police is in the vicinity eating a Sloppy Joe or texting a take out order...to bad that guy that got creamed wasn't the Mayor...

3 people ran to help and 3 people walked on by like nothing happened.
III

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Cha-Ching! No immunity from civil suit for the city or Chief since it involves a vehicle. Probably negligence, too. I am not litigious by nature, but a one day suspension for the Chief is ridiculous and the city deserves to be punished severely. Maybe he was texting the Mayor. I can only imagine what I would be facing for running down a pedestrian.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by EEllis »

puma guy wrote:Cha-Ching! No immunity from civil suit for the city or Chief since it involves a vehicle. Probably negligence, too. I am not litigious by nature, but a one day suspension for the Chief is ridiculous and the city deserves to be punished severely. Maybe he was texting the Mayor. I can only imagine what I would be facing for running down a pedestrian.
You would have slightly hire insurance bill next month and that is it. Generally speaking you wouldn't even be cited for anything but being at fault for the accident.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dave2 »

philip964 wrote:City of Houston's liability is capped at $250,000.
Why is that?
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

EEllis wrote:
puma guy wrote:Cha-Ching! No immunity from civil suit for the city or Chief since it involves a vehicle. Probably negligence, too. I am not litigious by nature, but a one day suspension for the Chief is ridiculous and the city deserves to be punished severely. Maybe he was texting the Mayor. I can only imagine what I would be facing for running down a pedestrian.
You would have slightly hire insurance bill next month and that is it. Generally speaking you wouldn't even be cited for anything but being at fault for the accident.
Yeah, I should have been more clear. Beside the citation aspect I was thinking about the civil action the guy would bring against me.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

EEllis
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by EEllis »

puma guy wrote: Yeah, I should have been more clear. Beside the citation aspect I was thinking about the civil action the guy would bring against me.
In all but the rarest cases you wouldn't be sued for any more than your insurance will cover regardless of how much damage is done. Unless you are a multimillionaire or some sort of celebrity. The lawyers who work these cases know it's a slam dunk up to the limit and rarely bother with going after personal assets.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 3

Post by srothstein »

rbwhatever1 wrote:I also see that the cross traffic light was red in the pedestrians area so that little walking dude light must have been flashing telling the Law Abiding Non Jay Walking Civilians that it was safe to cross NOW PEOPLE GO NOW PEOPLE HURRY UP FLASH FLASH FLASH BEEP BEEP BEEP.
Actually, per the Transportation Code section 552.002, that flashing dude means you cannot enter the intersection. You can only start across while it is the steady burning white walking dude or the sign says "WALK". Don't Walk (steady red walking dude or red hand) and Wait (flashing red dude or hand) means do not enter the intersection. If there are no pedestrian signs, you can only enter while the light is green, not yellow.

I was not aware that these laws were this strict until there was a crackdown on pedestrian violators in Austin. After the article ran, the APD spokesman had the paper print a correction pointing this out. It is interesting to me, because the laws on entering the intersection are stricter for pedestrians than for cars.
Steve Rothstein

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jbirds1210 »

srothstein wrote:I was not aware that these laws were this strict until there was a crackdown on pedestrian violators in Austin. After the article ran, the APD spokesman had the paper print a correction pointing this out. It is interesting to me, because the laws on entering the intersection are stricter for pedestrians than for cars.
Do you still have a copy or link to the article? Thanks.

Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

srothstein
Posts in topic: 3

Post by srothstein »

No, I don't. But the code sections are 552.001 and 552.002 of the Transportation Code. A pedestrian may not enter during a yellow light or wait signal.
Steve Rothstein

philip964

Post by philip964 »

Dave2 wrote:
philip964 wrote:City of Houston's liability is capped at $250,000.
Why is that?
As some one pointed out I was wrong, Sovereign Immunity for the City is waived for automobile accidents.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”