DPS in Robertson County

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
tiviti
Posts in topic: 3

DPS in Robertson County

Post by tiviti »

I got my second speeding ticket today, the first since I received my CHL. I was driving back to Houston from Dallas after attending the Trauma class earlier in the day. I had been feeling ill since right before lunch (headache and abdominal pain), and as I was driving between Hearne and Bryan, the pain level suddenly went from dull throbbing pain to sharp stabbing pain. I normally check my speed often on that road, especially right after Hearne once I speed back up to highway speed, but in this instance I was dividing my focus between my stomach and paying attention to the road and the traffic in front of me instead of glancing down at the speed. Unfortunately, in those seconds of distraction, I ended up pressing down on the gas a bit more than I intended and ended up with flashing lights in my rear-view mirror.

I pulled over to the right shoulder, and the officer pulled up behind me and walked up to the passenger window. He told me that I was speeding and asked for license and insurance. I handed him my insurance, DL, and CHL. He glanced at the CHL and handed it back to me without commenting then told me to wait while he wrote the ticket. He was polite, and the entire event passed by very quickly. He did not ask me where/what I was carrying nor did he try to disarm me, and he did not seem to have a problem with the CHL. I was upset with myself for messing up after hours of careful driving, combined with a long week and with currently feeling sick and miserable, and I was a little emotional (as in a little teary not angry). He did not respond rudely, and he asked me if I had received a ticket before and if I needed any help understanding what to do next (this was after the ticket was written, so no, I was not trying to cry my way out of it). Overall, the encounter was pleasant and professional, and it went much better than my last experience with the police.

Before any one tells me, yes, I know I should pull over if I am distracted. It was my fault, and I didn't try to talk my way out of it. In my defense, these events occurred very close together, and it did not have the time to reach the point where I was unable to focus on driving. I did wait by the side of the road after the police left to wait for the pain to die down before I continued.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 1

Re: DPS in Robertson County

Post by Oldgringo »

A CHL is neither a 'Batman License' nor a 'Get Out of Jail' pass. We CHL holders must abide by the 'laws of the land' and the 'rules of the road'. In fact, we should set the example....IMO.

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

Sounds like he was professional and you handled it okay.

I've even had a cop ask me to step out of the car, but still not disarm me. :confused5

Seems most cops in Texas aren't too concerned with the good guys carrying guns...as it should be.

Good news is I saw a billboard today advertising "start and stop at your pace defensive driving from your iphone, ipad or computer!". :lol:
TANSTAAFL

iom

Post by iom »

Sounds like it was handled well by both parties.

Hope you're feeling better.

jmra
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmra »

Sorry you had a rough day. Hope you are better.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Cruise control is my friend.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

jmra

Post by jmra »

C-dub wrote:Cruise control is my friend.
:iagree:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

C-dub wrote:Cruise control is my friend.
That area of Hwy 6 is not cruise control friendly. Little towns, speed limits go up and down. One lane, two lane, some no passing areas. It can be a challenge. Living in Fort Worth, with 2 kids having graduated from A&M - we have made that trip more than a time or two.

To the OP - hope you are feeling better now! Ask for the defensive driver training deferral for the ticket.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Topic author
tiviti

Post by tiviti »

I never meant to imply that I was hoping for a 'Get Out of Jail' pass. It was my fault, and I admitted it. The point of the post was to focus more on the CHL/LEO contact. The back story was to explain why I thought he handled it very well especially relative to my previous experiences. By teary, I meant that my eyes watered, not that I was sobbing. I know it was an overreaction, even in the circumstances, but it would have been an even greater overreaction if it had been in response to only the ticket. I have spent the last ~14 hours in bed feeling poorly, but I am getting better. Thanks to everyone for the concern, and I will look into taking Defensive Driving.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

I'm just hoping the OP is a female. :biggrinjester:

Hope you get to feeling better soon.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Crossfire, you apparently haven't been on Hwy 6 in a while. It is four lanes all the way from Waco to US290, and you only have to slow down in Calvert (a famous speed trap town) and Hearne. Much of it is posted 75 mph. Cruise control is always your friend.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Topic author
tiviti

Post by tiviti »

I haven't really been down that way since Hwy 6 still had the 65/70 nighttime speed limits and one lane construction. That said, I definitely had to slow down in Calvert, Hearne, Riesel, etc. Speed drops down to 55, 45, 40, 35 and then back up to highway speed. I was told that the stretch I was ticketed on had a speed limit of 70, so it was not 75 all the way down. And this is all from Waco before hitting College Station/Bryan. In any case, I don't have cruise control on my car anyway.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

oohrah wrote:Crossfire, you apparently haven't been on Hwy 6 in a while. It is four lanes all the way from Waco to US290, and you only have to slow down in Calvert (a famous speed trap town) and Hearne. Much of it is posted 75 mph. Cruise control is always your friend.
That is most certainly true. Kids were class of '05 and '06. Then a couple of graduate degrees.

They settled in Houston area, and, while I occasionally still go Hwy 6 to 290, it has been awhile. I try to take I45 down when possible.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I don't do Hwy 6, but I do make the trip to and from Dallas to Brenham and back several times a year via I-45 to Madisonville, 90 to Navasota, and 105 to Brenham and then back again. I easily see at least 10 people pulled over both ways each trip. Mostly on I-45, but still. Cruise control is my friend on trips and to and from work and most other times as well. Maybe I'm just to the point in my life. I did sell my Hayabusa last year.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

tiviti wrote:I got my second speeding ticket today, the first since I received my CHL. I was driving back to Houston from Dallas after attending the Trauma class earlier in the day. I had been feeling ill since right before lunch (headache and abdominal pain), and as I was driving between Hearne and Bryan, the pain level suddenly went from dull throbbing pain to sharp stabbing pain. I normally check my speed often on that road, especially right after Hearne once I speed back up to highway speed, but in this instance I was dividing my focus between my stomach and paying attention to the road and the traffic in front of me instead of glancing down at the speed. Unfortunately, in those seconds of distraction, I ended up pressing down on the gas a bit more than I intended and ended up with flashing lights in my rear-view mirror.
Well, what a BUMMER.!
I'm glad you made it home safely, it was quite a long day for you.
Not the happiest way to end a long day, stomach pains and a speeding ticket. :grumble

It was nice meeting you, however briefly.
Again, glad to hear you're home safely. I hope you're feeling better quickly.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”