NFL doesn't want off duty cops carrying

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 2

Re: NFL doesn't want off duty cops carrying

Post by RoyGBiv »

Texas tells NFL Their Gun Laws (sic) Don’t Apply Here
Texas state law states that so long as off-duty law enforcement officers check in at specific gates and let stadium employees know where they’ll be sitting, they will be allowed to carry a firearm
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

RoyGBiv wrote:Texas tells NFL Their Gun Laws (sic) Don’t Apply Here
Texas state law states that so long as off-duty law enforcement officers check in at specific gates and let stadium employees know where they’ll be sitting, they will be allowed to carry a firearm

actually they "want" us to check in at gates, however there is no law requiring us to do that.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 2

Post by anygunanywhere »

Deleted.
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

dhyde79
Posts in topic: 1

Post by dhyde79 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
RoyGBiv wrote:
Jaguar wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:It's also not going to work in Texas. Texas law prohibits them from barring armed peace officers. I don't like that law one bit, but it's the law.

Chas.
Tex. Penal Code §30.05 wrote:(i) This section does not apply if:

(1) the basis on which entry on the property or land or in the building was forbidden is that entry with a handgun or other weapon was forbidden; and

(2) the actor at the time of the offense was a peace officer, including a commissioned peace officer of a recognized state, or a special investigator under Article 2.122, Code of Criminal Procedure, regardless of whether the peace officer or special investigator was engaged in the actual discharge of an official duty while carrying the weapon.
Wow, I never read all of 30.05, now that I have I am surprised by it. :shock:

So what limits are there on Peace Officers that forbid them to enter or stay on property of another? It looks like the Third and Fouth Amendment took a holiday when they wrote this law.
The way I read that, I can bar any specific person, regardless of whether they are LE. I just cannot generically say "armed LE not welcome". But I can say "Joe Smith get out", even if Joe is LE (unless he's there in an official capacity and acting under legal authority).
Correct. You can have and enforce a "no guns" policy against anyone and everyone, except a LEO, including an out-of-state LEO.

Yes, I know some people will argue that it's no big deal because you can simply give some other reason to bar someone. While this is true, 1) Texas law shouldn't put honest people in a position where they must lie to keep people out of their homes and other private property; and 2) most people have no idea that TPC §30.05 contains this limitation related to LEO's so they won't know the Legislature has forced them to lie if they don't want that person on their property.

Chas.
you **CAN** however, say "law enforcement officers not welcome" and because you aren't stipulating that the reason they aren't welcome is because they're armed, then, the restriction does in fact stand.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”