NFL doesn't want off duty cops carrying

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Cedar Park Dad
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: NFL doesn't want off duty cops carrying

Post by Cedar Park Dad »

mojo84 wrote:Next it will be no guns for uniformed cops either.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ss ... ps_fr.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I can't afford to go to NFL games and thus could care less. Don't like it, don't go. :patriot:

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

The several San Diego PD officers who were friends of mine often confirmed that they were required to have badge and weapon with them 24/7, drunk, sober, asleep, at Charger games, asleep at Charger games, always.

I believe that SDSO had the same requirement.

Of course, there are fewer than 2,000 CHL permits issued in SD Co.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Topic author
mojo84
Posts in topic: 9

Post by mojo84 »

EEllis wrote:
jmra wrote: It was my intention to speak in general terms not all inclusive terms. In rereading my statements perhaps I could have been more specific but I believe my intentions were clear in my responses that I was speaking to my encounters with LEO and their depts. It may not have been how you interpreted it but it is what I stated. In fact I stated several times that I was basing my statements on discussions I've had with LEO. So unless you think I'm claiming to have spoken with members of every dept in Texas (which I'm not) then I couldn't possibly be referring to every police dept.
I did do some checking of my own - just spoke with a long term veteran officer who has worked with several depts in the area over the years. He has never been required to carry off duty. He said he was aware of some depts that required it if you had a take home car but that was not the case with any of the depts in this area.
He suggested it was more common in depts with higher populations due to man power shortages. Regardless, he confirmed that it is not a requirement in this area and has not been for the years he has been on the force.
We don't need to beat it to death. I just figured you were making your statements based on to small a sample. The issue I had was that you were using that statement or belief as an argument in a larger discussion as a fact. I have no issue that you don't know any cops that are required to carry.

I would like to see you cite your source for departments that "require" cops to carry off duty when they are drinking and or inebreated.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

mojo84 wrote: I would like to see you cite your source for departments that "require" cops to carry off duty when they are drinking and or inebreated.
That's probably going to be a pretty tough cite. Why not ask for a cite on departments that require LEOs to carry when off duty? I think that's the much more likely policy.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

the officers I've known over the years, were not "allowed" to be drunk, they were on call 24x7, if they had anything to drink at all, it was one. We always assumed they had their guns with them at all times, kinda "don't ask, 'cause I can't tell" type thing. These are all of the officers I've known, everywhere, in several states, many counties.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

jmra
Posts in topic: 12

Post by jmra »

EEllis wrote:
jmra wrote:We don't need to beat it to death.
I'm afraid we passed that point a while back. :mrgreen: :tiphat:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

cb1000rider wrote:
mojo84 wrote: I would like to see you cite your source for departments that "require" cops to carry off duty when they are drinking and or inebreated.
That's probably going to be a pretty tough cite. Why not ask for a cite on departments that require LEOs to carry when off duty? I think that's the much more likely policy.

I suspect it's gonna be impossible because I don't think that there are in. Read the thread. you will see the he said there are departments that require officers to carry while they're drinking. I know for a fact there are departments that require their officers to carry when off duty and I also know that some are optional but recommended.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I think the best answer to this will be the same as the one Houston PD gave Six Flags when they tried to ban off duty carry at Astroworld (when CHL was first passed). I was on San Antonio PD back then and we were required to carry at all times within city limits. Our chief responded to Six Flags policy (at Fiesta Texas, it was a statewide change) by changing our rules to make off duty carry recommended but optional. Houston's chief responded by revoking the work permits for all of his officers that had part time jobs at Astroworld. His logic was that off duty was off duty and if the property owner did not want firearms, he had that right and it would apply to ALL off duty HPD officers.

Can you guess which response changed the minds of Six Flags corporate office? I will give you a hint and say they decided to allow off duty officers to carry while visiting the parks. Want to bet that the NFL would see the same light?
Steve Rothstein

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

JALLEN wrote:The several San Diego PD officers who were friends of mine often confirmed that they were required to have badge and weapon with them 24/7, drunk, sober, asleep, at Charger games, asleep at Charger games, always.

Actually it is against both those agencies policy to carry while intoxicated. Both do require the carrying of the badge/ID at all times.

The Del Mar Fair tried to do this a few years ago. They got sued and recanted. They were even going to ban SDSO off duty to carry there, yet SDSO has the contract to provide LE services to the fair. I say LE vs security because SDSO works as LEO. You don't see off duty LEO"s working in CA like you do here.

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 5

Post by E.Marquez »

texanjoker wrote:
Actually it is against both those agencies policy to carry while intoxicated..
Id hazard a guess it is against EVERY departments policy to carry off duty while intoxicated or in the commission of any other crime.

I'd also hazard a guess .. just like for a citizen with a Texas CHL, it is not against policy or law to have a gun and have a drink.

I know that bothers some here, but it's still what the law states
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

jmra

Post by jmra »

Here's a sampling of some dept policies in other areas:
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-0 ... l-shooting
The Carroll County Sheriff's Office does not require deputies to carry their firearms off-duty, but they may do so if they wish. However, deputies may not be armed if they plan to drink alcohol, or if they are already intoxicated, the department's rules state.

In addition, deputies are prohibited from operating a patrol car "with any measurable amount of alcohol in their blood or while impaired by alcohol or drugs," according to Major Phillip S. Kasten, a sheriff's department spokesman.

The Baltimore County Police Department gives its officers the option of carrying guns while off-duty, as do most law enforcement agencies in the state. Any personally owned weapons the officers choose to carry must be approved by the department's firearms coordinators.

In Annapolis, "we're allowed to carry our own weapon" while off-duty as long as it has passed departmental muster, said Tim Lowe, a sergeant in that city's police department.

The Anne Arundel County Police Department encourages its officers to carry a firearm while off-duty but does not require them to unless they are in uniform or operating a police vehicle. Its rules say that no officer may wear, carry or use a firearm "while his or her ability to use the firearm is impaired for any reason."

The Frederick Police Department has made clear to its officers that they should not carry handguns if they anticipate consuming alcoholic beverages, even though the department's rules do not specifically prohibit officers from having a firearm in a bar.

"If you're in a bar drinking, you're basically impairing yourself," said Lt. Clark Pennington, a department spokesman. "So we say you are not to wear, carry or use a firearm during any activity that would impair your ability, and that includes drinking."

At the time this article was written, Baltimore required off duty officers to carry but that policy was being reconsidered - do not know the outcome.

"The Baltimore Police Department plans to review its rules regarding officers carrying of firearms while off-duty in the wake of a fatal shooting involving an officer out for a night on the town.
The internal review is being undertaken as a matter of course and not because the rules "aren't strict enough," Anthony Guglielmi, the department's chief spokesman, said Monday. Of particular interest is whether off-duty officers should be permitted to carry guns when they expect to be drinking alcohol."
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Doesn't bother me. Pretty much what I expected.

jmra

Post by jmra »

Closer to home:
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... rry_g.html
Off-duty police cannot carry guns into bars, Louisiana attorney general says

And a post from an officer on officer.com:
"When "off duty", each member will carry or have in his/her immediate possession, his/her badge, department sidearm, or a pistol or revolver, as authorized by the Department, and the identification card. This rule shall not apply when members are engaged in sports and activities of such a nature as to make it impractical or when imbibing alcoholic beverages."
"Straight from my dept's rules and regs. Is it enforced? No, sadly, since not many guys from my dept. carry off duty."

Notice the last line, " Is it enforced? No, sadly, since not many guys from my dept. carry off duty."
IIRC, I made a very similar statement regarding enforcement of these antiquated rules and regs early in this thread.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Get back on topic and stop the bickering or this thread will be locked.
Chas.

JALLEN
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JALLEN »

texanjoker wrote:
JALLEN wrote:The several San Diego PD officers who were friends of mine often confirmed that they were required to have badge and weapon with them 24/7, drunk, sober, asleep, at Charger games, asleep at Charger games, always.

Actually it is against both those agencies policy to carry while intoxicated. Both do require the carrying of the badge/ID at
That's not what I said or my friends say. What they told me was they must carry all the time. I imagine it is against policy to be intoxicated, at least publicly.

I remember the fracus in Del Mar. All the radio talk show hosts went berserk, the Mayor was on the defensive, actually with this "must carry" policy. Roger Hedgecock was particularly vocal. I did not hear how it was resolved.
Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”