Pulled over for speeding in Louisiana

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Pulled over for speeding in Louisiana

Post by RogueUSMC »

SewTexas wrote:He should have known about any and all criminal history of the vehicle's owner before getting out of his own car. There was no reason to be nervous. If a cop is scared of a CHL holder he needs a new job.
^^this...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 8

Post by E.Marquez »

RogueUSMC wrote:
SewTexas wrote:He should have known about any and all criminal history of the vehicle's owner before getting out of his own car. There was no reason to be nervous. If a cop is scared of a CHL holder he needs a new job.
^^this...
Really? How does a license plate check tell anything about the human INSIDE the car?

Until contact is made, initial impressions made, DL, Reg, Insurance prof received, drivers name called in.. the responding officer knows nothing about the PERSON, only limited data about the car.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

My brother in law was pulled over. When he handed licenses and insurance to the officer, the officer said he didn't need proof of insurance as 'system' told him when he ran the plates who he was and whether the vehicle was insured or not. If that info is available, warrants should be also...
- Napoleon Bonaparte

nightmare69
Posts in topic: 1

Post by nightmare69 »

Ive been driving 30 miles on the interstate and Im amazed on how fast traffic is now. Speed limit was 75mph and I was driving 90-95 in the slow lane keep pace with traffic and even big rigs. If you wanted to pass someone you are going to have to hit 100mph. Glad I own a mustang, my 4x4 would not be able to keep up with traffic.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

RogueUSMC wrote:My brother in law was pulled over. When he handed licenses and insurance to the officer, the officer said he didn't need proof of insurance as 'system' told him when he ran the plates who he was and whether the vehicle was insured or not. If that info is available, warrants should be also...
Again,, No, it tells the officer about the vehicle and the registered owner.. NOT the person sitting in the car.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

E.Marquez wrote:
RogueUSMC wrote:My brother in law was pulled over. When he handed licenses and insurance to the officer, the officer said he didn't need proof of insurance as 'system' told him when he ran the plates who he was and whether the vehicle was insured or not. If that info is available, warrants should be also...
Again,, No, it tells the officer about the vehicle and the registered owner.. NOT the person sitting in the car.
:iagree: What he said.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

E.Marquez wrote:
and?
- Napoleon Bonaparte

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

RogueUSMC wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:
and?
And .. Running a LP will not tell you if the PERSON inside the car has warrants, valid DL, a gun, hand grenade or is covered in blood having just hacked up his wife.

That’s what was stated that you responded to… knowing what the person in the car is wanted for, in violation or, suspected of, or not,,,, before getting out of the police car, by virtue of running a license plate.

The License plate does not know who is in the car,, and the dispatcher has no idea either,, so the officer will not know... until contact is made. :tiphat:

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

E.Marquez wrote:
RogueUSMC wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:
and?
And .. Running a LP will not tell you if the PERSON inside the car has warrants, valid DL, a gun, hand grenade or is covered in blood having just hacked up his wife.

That’s what was stated that you responded to… knowing what the person in the car is wanted for, in violation or, suspected of, or not,,,, before getting out of the police car, by virtue of running a license plate.

The License plate does not know who is in the car,, and the dispatcher has no idea either,, so the officer will not know... until contact is made. :tiphat:

y'al have always said that you assume the person driving is the person the vehicle is registered to, (unless of course it's been reported stolen) then you go from there. Just going with what you've said. That's why I've taught my kids to keep their hands on the wheel if stopped.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

cb1000rider
Posts in topic: 5

Post by cb1000rider »

OP,
I think my action here would be to call the PD and inquire about how "normal" opening that glove box is. I'd certainly feel that my privacy was invaded.
Filing a complaint probably too much - with respect for a LEO who was courteous.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

E.Marquez wrote:
RogueUSMC wrote:
^^this...
Really? How does a license plate check tell anything about the human INSIDE the car?

Until contact is made, initial impressions made, DL, Reg, Insurance prof received, drivers name called in.. the responding officer knows nothing about the PERSON, only limited data about the car.

Very true :iagree: and to add it is very rare to run a "criminal history" on a traffic stop. The leo runs a warrant and license check at most. There are a lot of restrictions on accessing criminal history. Additionally leo's stop cars all down without a license plate check being ran.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

E.Marquez wrote:

A license plate check DOES NOT show warrant information. It tells who owns the car, if financed, the VIN, expiration, ect. If the vehicle is wanted, the accompanying check will show that. If lucky it would say armed/dangerous stolen car, ect. Then the party begins.
Last edited by texanjoker on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

mojo84 wrote:Joker, You are debating preferences and procedures. I think most of us are talking about a cop circumventing one's rights.

I am confused, you have a problem with the cop telling the person to exit the vehicle via the PA but you think it better to handcuff a person to remmove their gun.

Again, what do you think the cop would have done if he saw a bag of pot in the glove box? I'm just trying to understand your thought process.

Not debating anything. Since we are Monday Night quarterbacking a traffic stop I jumped in to fit in :smilelol5:

Not sure why you are confused. I broke the stop down into different steps and areas that concerned me. One was when he had the guy exit via PA. I disagreed with that. Then if he was removing a gun for his safety, which means he should have a safety concern, I explained the safest way to do it. Having somebody put their arms on a car to pat them down or remove something is not safe. The safest way to disarm a person is to have them in handcuffs. I also stated I wouldn't hand cuff a chl holder for merely carrying a CHL so let's not loose that in the translation.

I don't think this guy would see anything other then a ticket. IF he was trying to find PC for an arrest/search he wouldn't be doing the "quickest" traffic stops. IF he made an arrest there is a word for that but it violates the forum rules. I could see it being dismissed for an illegal search and even provided a brief search and seizure 101 summary as to why this could happen. I have repeatedly stated IF that was how he was getting into a glove box "horrific" was the word I used.

Now he should have just flashed a CHL badge and none of this would have happened. :anamatedbanana

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

That's not much help if the vehicle is stolen and the owner hasn't reported it yet.

Or if someone with a CHL loans their car to ex-con friend or family... or vice versa.

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bmwrdr »

With a TX license plate you get a tivket for driving in LA. I got 6 so far. One every time I went to or crossed through LA. Two of those tickets were warning tickets and 4 were in the $200 ballpark. What I don't get is the fact they acused me of speeding but I did not except once. I guess they really just want money and that's it. :biggrinjester:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”