Dallas LEO shooting video raises question's

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

texanjoker

Re: Dallas LEO shooting video raises question's

Post by texanjoker »

n5wd wrote:
texanjoker wrote:
n5wd wrote:
mojo84 wrote:http://bigstory.ap.org/article/dallas-o ... -man-fired

Fire and charged with a felony.

Partially correct. The officer was fired, but the judge the police asked to sign the arrest warrant refused to do so, and suggested the DPD present the case to the grand jury directly. So Chief Brown later said that's what they're going to do.

And now, DPD-IA is to investigate the officer's partner, who by the way is the one that wrote the offense report. His goose is probably cooked, as well, since the story the shooter told apparently (according to the WBAP news reporter) did not match what the offense report said.
That would mean that judge, who was presented the affidavit, did not believe there is enough evidence at this point.
OR, the judge decided that there was no immediate need for the officer to be arrested, and decided to punt to the grand jury.... OR.... it could be that he thinks he's keeping solidarity with the rank-and-file of the department.
texanjoker wrote:"Weaker" cases often go to the grand jury to see if they indict. Remember we are only reading what the media is telling us. There are many questions to be asked and answered. For me I want to know if the leo lied or if it is a perception issue resulting from a critical incident where he believed something to be happening. Seeing that the deceased got up, that could be a partial reality. Time will tell.
Deceased? :nono:

Good point. I didn't want anybody offended by the word suspect as is often the case in here. He was a "suspect" that was armed with a knife.
Last edited by texanjoker on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 13

Post by mojo84 »

n5wd wrote:
texanjoker wrote:
n5wd wrote:
mojo84 wrote:http://bigstory.ap.org/article/dallas-o ... -man-fired

Fire and charged with a felony.

Partially correct. The officer was fired, but the judge the police asked to sign the arrest warrant refused to do so, and suggested the DPD present the case to the grand jury directly. So Chief Brown later said that's what they're going to do.

And now, DPD-IA is to investigate the officer's partner, who by the way is the one that wrote the offense report. His goose is probably cooked, as well, since the story the shooter told apparently (according to the WBAP news reporter) did not match what the offense report said.
That would mean that judge, who was presented the affidavit, did not believe there is enough evidence at this point.
OR, the judge decided that there was no immediate need for the officer to be arrested, and decided to punt to the grand jury.... OR.... it could be that he thinks he's keeping solidarity with the rank-and-file of the department.
texanjoker wrote:"Weaker" cases often go to the grand jury to see if they indict. Remember we are only reading what the media is telling us. There are many questions to be asked and answered. For me I want to know if the leo lied or if it is a perception issue resulting from a critical incident where he believed something to be happening. Seeing that the deceased got up, that could be a partial reality. Time will tell.
Deceased? :nono:
:clapping:
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

srothstein
Posts in topic: 3

Post by srothstein »

n5wd wrote:Deceased? :nono:

He was only mostly0 dead, not yet all the way dead. So, he got better and got up.
Steve Rothstein

LAYGO
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LAYGO »

I guess another video talking about the officer being fired:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S&W M&P 40 Mid (EDC) - S&W Shields (his/hers) - S&W M&P .45C - S&W 4513TSW .45 (1st Gen, retired to nightstand)
CMMG AR15 w/ACOG
Anderson AR15 pistol w/Aimpoint H1

08/04/2013 CHL class taken - plastic rec'd 08/26! Renewed 2018

Topic author
rbwhatever1
Posts in topic: 7

Post by rbwhatever1 »

Update on the non shooting Liar...and a few other stellar LEO's within the DPD being disciplined and fired. Posted today 21 Nov 2013.

Ofc. Christopher Watson was suspended 15 days for telling an investigator that Bobby Bennett, a mentally ill man whose mother called police when he became enraged, stepped toward him and his partner, Ofc. Cardan Spencer, with a knife “raised in an aggressive manner.”

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas/D ... 55631.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
III

mojo84
Posts in topic: 13

Post by mojo84 »

Looks more and more like the video didn't lie after all. Sometimes things are just as they appear whether or not one wants them to be.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Jaguar
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jaguar »

rbwhatever1 wrote:Update on the non shooting Liar...and a few other stellar LEO's within the DPD being disciplined and fired. Posted today 21 Nov 2013.

Ofc. Christopher Watson was suspended 15 days for telling an investigator that Bobby Bennett, a mentally ill man whose mother called police when he became enraged, stepped toward him and his partner, Ofc. Cardan Spencer, with a knife “raised in an aggressive manner.”

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas/D ... 55631.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Perjury is a Class A misdemeanor which carries up to 1 year in jail and up to $4,000 fine.

Aggravated Perjury is a felony of the third degree which carries 2 to 10 years in prison and up to $10,000 fine.

Code: Select all

Sec. 37.02. PERJURY. (a) A person commits an offense if, with intent to deceive and with knowledge of the statement's meaning:

(1) he makes a false statement under oath or swears to the truth of a false statement previously made and the statement is required or authorized by law to be made under oath; or

(2) he makes a false unsworn declaration under Chapter 132, Civil Practice and Remedies Code.

(b) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

Sec. 37.03. AGGRAVATED PERJURY. (a) A person commits an offense if he commits perjury as defined in Section 37.02, and the false statement:

(1) is made during or in connection with an official proceeding; and

(2) is material.

(b) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree.
I guess who you work for determines if you get ten years in prison, or a 15 day vacation.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

sunny beach
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sunny beach »

Jaguar wrote:I guess who you work for determines if you get ten years in prison, or a 15 day vacation.
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tomtexan »

Here is a follow up story on one of the officers involved, now indicted.

Former DPD officer indicted for shooting mentally ill man
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

jmra
Posts in topic: 12

Post by jmra »

tomtexan wrote:Here is a follow up story on one of the officers involved, now indicted.

Former DPD officer indicted for shooting mentally ill man
Good news. Justice should be blind to what clothes the criminal was wearing when he committed the crime.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”