Dallas LEO shooting video raises question's

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

VMI77
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Dallas LEO shooting video raises question's

Post by VMI77 »

E.Marquez wrote:
VMI77 wrote: They LIED in their report, the guy they shot did not advance towards them
Outstanding .. I was not aware the report had been released for us to read..

Can you post a link to it?

Thanks
I freely admit to basing my opinion on the information that is now in the public domain, and I freely admit it may be incorrect --but it's all I can go by for now. If information develops that indicates something different happened then I will change my opinion as appropriate. If they didn't lie in their report, then they're apparently only guilty of murder. However, I admit to being a little doubtful that their report is going to read they shot the guy as he stood nearly motionless in the street.....as the video shows he did. If so, good for them. If both their reports say that the guy took steps toward them then the cop who didn't shoot is an accessory after the fact. If one told the truth and the other didn't, good for the one who told the truth.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

jmra
Posts in topic: 12

Post by jmra »

E.Marquez wrote:
rbwhatever1 wrote:Update: (Disclaimer - This could be WFAA Media lies) Those pesky affidavits & video cameras.

A police affidavit detailing the incident says Bennett “took several steps toward them with the knife raised in an aggressive manner.”

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas/C ... 91301.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Footage from a surveillance camera pointed at the street where officers shot a mentally ill man in the abdomen earlier this week shows the man never walked toward police nor raised a knife to them, disputing a police officer’s narrative provided in a sworn affidavit.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas/s ... 52551.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I must have missed it.. Where are the affidavits ? or links to them? Im not seeing them at either of those two link you provided.

Thanks
I would think at this point if the affidavits did not exist the dept would have issued a statement stating such. Not looking good for the shooter or the dept. absent a coverup, time will tell.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 7

Post by E.Marquez »

jmra wrote:
E.Marquez wrote:
rbwhatever1 wrote:Update: (Disclaimer - This could be WFAA Media lies) Those pesky affidavits & video cameras.

A police affidavit detailing the incident says Bennett “took several steps toward them with the knife raised in an aggressive manner.”

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas/C ... 91301.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Footage from a surveillance camera pointed at the street where officers shot a mentally ill man in the abdomen earlier this week shows the man never walked toward police nor raised a knife to them, disputing a police officer’s narrative provided in a sworn affidavit.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas/s ... 52551.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I must have missed it.. Where are the affidavits ? or links to them? Im not seeing them at either of those two link you provided.

Thanks
I would think at this point if the affidavits did not exist the dept would have issued a statement stating such. Not looking good for the shooter or the dept. absent a coverup, time will tell.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I am not alleging, inferring, supposing or guessing the affidavits do not exist :tiphat:

I keep seeing folks state as fact,,, the affidavit states, says, or the officer said in the affidavit... yet, no one but the media has had access to them for us to know what they say.

I have a total distrust for what the media reports, they will add, delete, misquote, mix up different sections and post them as if there were a continuous paragraph, take things out of context and insert words or partial statements among other words or partial statements, all in the name of making a more entertaining article.

Im not supporting the officers actions, nor denouncing them..because I DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY SAID...or did not say in an affidavit I have not seen. I do not know what transpired on scene that a security camera did not capture. Have not seen the officer video or audio if there is some.

I admit, based on media reports I do not trust as fact, and the whole truth... it looks not good for the officer that engaged. :tiphat:
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

tomtexan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by tomtexan »

Hmmm.... Very interesting!
The laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
NRA Life Member

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

Nothing wrong with that. This way regardless of the outcome, hopefully people will think the investigation was unbiased.

mojo84
Posts in topic: 13

Post by mojo84 »

I thought they called the Texas Rangers and to do investigations like that.do you think they called the FBI because they are saying it's a civil rights violation?
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jmra

Post by jmra »

mojo84 wrote:I thought they called the Texas Rangers and to do investigations like that.do you think they called the FBI because they are saying it's a civil rights violation?
Who is "they"?
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

jmra wrote:
mojo84 wrote:I thought they called the Texas Rangers and to do investigations like that.do you think they called the FBI because they are saying it's a civil rights violation?
Who is "they"?

Usually the internal affairs of the department that has to investigate their own.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

jmra

Post by jmra »

mojo84 wrote:
jmra wrote:
Who is "they"?

Usually the internal affairs of the department that has to investigate their own.
In that case I doubt "they" called the FBI because a federal civil rights conviction against a Dallas PD officer means the dept pays millions if not tens of millions to the victim.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

jmra wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
jmra wrote:
Who is "they"?

In that case I doubt "they" called the FBI because a federal civil rights conviction against a Dallas PD officer means the dept pays millions if not tens of millions to the victim.
You may be right. I don't know that much about the inner workings of such. That's why I asked? I do know "they" call on the Rangers sometimes when " they" decide "they" need to make sure an investigation is unbiased or more complicated than what "they" are set up to handle.

jmra

Post by jmra »

mojo84 wrote:
jmra wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
jmra wrote:
Who is "they"?

You may be right. I don't know that much about the inner workings of such. That's why I asked? I do know "they" call on the Rangers sometimes when " they" decide "they" need to make sure an investigation is unbiased or more complicated than what "they" are set up to handle.
That would make a lot of sense and I hope "they" ( :mrgreen: ) have already done so.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

srothstein
Posts in topic: 3

Post by srothstein »

Generally, the larger departments, like Dallas, will handle their own investigations of officers. They might request assistance from another agency if they have a reason to think their investigation is compromised or serious corruption is involved. In the case of corruption, a department will ask either the Rangers or FBI for assistance. The deciding factor is almost always if the corruption involves drugs, in which case they go with the FBI to get federal time. Anything else will almost always be handled by the Rangers. This is because, again as a general rule, most police officers (including the chiefs) don't really like the FBI or trust them. Smaller departments generally ask the Rangers for help with shootings and any serious offense involving officers.

One of the reasons that cops don't like the FBI is that the FBI goes after cops. A second reason is the way they step in and take over cases that the local officers have handled.

But the FBI will almost always step in when they think there is a civil rights violation. They can be asked in by the department, local politicians, the public, or anyone. They have been known to step in when they see a commotion in the news. I believe that this case is being investigated by the FBI on their own just because the news releases don't mention anyone asking for them and politicians will almost always take the credit for asking for that type of investigation. And it doesn't really mean anything to the case, IMO, since there are no allegations of anything being race related or departmental.
Steve Rothstein

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Interesting. Thanks Steve

paperchunker
Posts in topic: 1

Post by paperchunker »

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/dallas/C ... 25411.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Officer fired. Partner placed on restricted duty.
NRA/LTC Instructor
NRA Patriot Life- Endowment Member

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”