Game warden Brazoria County

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

OldCurlyWolf
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Game warden Brazoria County

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

C-dub wrote:I apologize up front for my questions. I am not a hunter, so sorry if these are simple questions.

If I'm on my own private land would I still have to have a hunting license to hunt deer or any other animal other than animals like hogs? I use hogs as an example because hogs are considered nuisances and there's no license required and no bag limit, right? But, what about other animals that do not fall into that category?

Also, would bag limits still apply on my own land? I guess, if the answer to the first question is, yes, I would still require a license, then the answer to this one might also be yes.
Actually it varies by state, by Age and by the game hunted.

Once when I was young, a warden came up to me, my grandfather and his brother hunting quail. There was not a license between the three of us and none was required. I was 15 and both my grandfather and his brother were over 65. We were also hunting on my grandfather's or "Family" land. We were required to observe bag limits and special permits.

The law there is now slightly different, but under sixteen gets a juvenile license that is good until that birthday after passing hunter safety and a Senior pays a $10+/- fee one time that is good for the rest of their life.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 3

Post by C-dub »

talltex wrote:
C-dub wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote: Yes. You have to have a license to hunt and harvest game. Bag limits apply.

You do not need to have a fishing license to fish in your own pond.

Anygunanywhere
Fish I knew about, but I actually am a little shocked that a license and bag limits apply on my own private property.
They apply, because all regulated game animals are considered to be the property of the State of Texas as a natural resource which is protected by the laws. Migratory birds fall under Federal protection.
That makes some sense. I wonder why any state thinks these animals are their property. I kinda understand that they would need to be managed or they could be wiped out, but I wonder if it has ever been argued that they are God's creatures and don't belong to the state.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Dori
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Dori »

C-dub wrote:
talltex wrote:
C-dub wrote:
anygunanywhere wrote: Yes. You have to have a license to hunt and harvest game. Bag limits apply.

You do not need to have a fishing license to fish in your own pond.

Anygunanywhere
Fish I knew about, but I actually am a little shocked that a license and bag limits apply on my own private property.
They apply, because all regulated game animals are considered to be the property of the State of Texas as a natural resource which is protected by the laws. Migratory birds fall under Federal protection.
That makes some sense. I wonder why any state thinks these animals are their property. I kinda understand that they would need to be managed or they could be wiped out, but I wonder if it has ever been argued that they are God's creatures and don't belong to the state.
The ownership passes by the Divine Right of Kings.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 5

Post by anygunanywhere »

Actually I believe the law is that all game belongs to the citizens of Texas.

We still need licenses to harvest our game.

Kind of stupid really.

Like needing a license to exercise your 2A rights.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

talltex
Posts in topic: 2

Post by talltex »

anygunanywhere wrote:Actually I believe the law is that all game belongs to the citizens of Texas.

Yes, in the same way that the land in the National Parks belongs to all the citizens of the USA, but it is controlled by the Federal Government, which tells us where, when and how we may access it and charges fees for use of it. The same applies to Texas State Parks...a natural resource which is administered, controlled and protected by the State for the use of the citizens.
"I looked out under the sun and saw that the race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong" Ecclesiastes 9:11

"The race may not always go to the swift or the battle to the strong, but that's the way the smart money bets" Damon Runyon

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”