Game warden Brazoria County

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Sparky3131
Posts in topic: 3

Game warden Brazoria County

Post by Sparky3131 »

Hog hunting this Saturday on my family's land, we were policing up the hogs we'd shot when the local game warden pulled up, after hearing some shots to check our kills( there's been some poaching in the area so they're pretty thick through our parts). I had my Rock River Arms AR .308 slung With a single point and open carrying my Beretta 96A1. He was quick, showed up, checked our kills, (13 hogs between 3 people) and was on his way. Very polite and professional.
Pretty much what I've come to expect from our Texas game wardens. :txflag:
A man who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders.-Larry Elder

n5wd
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Game warden Brazoria County

Post by n5wd »

Sparky3131 wrote: He was quick, showed up, checked our kills, (13 hogs between 3 people) and was on his way. Very polite and professional.
In this case, what do you mean "check your kills"? Making sure they were all hogs?
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Topic author
Sparky3131

Post by Sparky3131 »

n5wd wrote:
Sparky3131 wrote: He was quick, showed up, checked our kills, (13 hogs between 3 people) and was on his way. Very polite and professional.
In this case, what do you mean "check your kills"? Making sure they were all hogs?

Yes. According to him they've had quite a few people taking deer with rifles during bow season
A man who demands further gun control legislation is like a chicken who roots for Colonel Sanders.-Larry Elder

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

We have a game warden that has hunted on my family's land for the past few years. He says he is always smiling and nice to people who are armed.
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

Enforcing game laws is one of the most dangerous if not the most dangerous job in law enforcement. At one time more game wardens per capita were killed and assaulted than any other group of LEOs. I don't blame them for being friendly and courteous. :tiphat:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Commander Cody

Post by Commander Cody »

nightmare69 wrote:He says he is always smiling and nice to people who are armed.

As am I.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson USMC 1967-1970 101st. Underwater Mess Kit Repair Battalion - Spoon Platoon.

Texas_Blaze

Post by Texas_Blaze »

Game warden can enter your private property?
Distinguished author of opinions and pro bono self proclaimed internet lawyer providing expert advice on what you should do and believe on all matters of life.

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

Texas_Blaze wrote:Game warden can enter your private property?
Yes. They are peace officers and trespass laws don't apply to peace officers in Texas, even when they're on vacation.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

My experience with Texas Game Wardens has always been good - friendly and pleasant.

Federal Game Wardens - arrogant and extremely unpleasant even though no laws were broken while those I was hunting with and myself were friendly and pleasant in our demeanor toward them.

garodrig1

Post by garodrig1 »

bizarrenormality wrote:
Texas_Blaze wrote:Game warden can enter your private property?
Yes. They are peace officers and trespass laws don't apply to peace officers in Texas, even when they're on vacation.

I am not certain on that, but correct me if I am wrong.

I think that peace officers can be on private property if they have a right to be there, such as in the OP's case (warden investigating). If a peace officer does not have the right to be on private property (ie not an official duty or investigation) then they must respect private property.

So I don't think that peace officers have an ability to trespass at will and definitely not while "on vacation", without some right to be there.

tamc

Post by tamc »

I do think there is a difference between a game warden and a LEO. The former does not need probable cause to enter, but the latter does. I cannot recall the statute and perhaps it is hearsay -
I was always taught the most underpaid, but powerful person was the game warden.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Sparky... you lucky guy. Wish I had the place to hog hunt locally.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 5

Post by anygunanywhere »

tamc wrote:I do think there is a difference between a game warden and a LEO. The former does not need probable cause to enter, but the latter does. I cannot recall the statute and perhaps it is hearsay -
I was always taught the most underpaid, but powerful person was the game warden.
If the game warden suspects activities related to hunting, fishing, or othyer laws regarding wildlife are or have been going on it is probable cause for them to enter. Hearing gunshots is probable cause.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

What about your house, can they forcefully enter your home without a warrant?
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 5

Post by anygunanywhere »

nightmare69 wrote:What about your house, can they forcefully enter your home without a warrant?
Define forcefully.

I am certain we can discuss lots of scenarios and make grand suppositions on what the wardens can or can't do and throw in all sorts of 4A claims.

Let's just say that if you are out actively pursuing fish or game or if a warden sees something on your property like a steaming gut pile then he has probable cause.

I have been checked by wardens many times and in each and every case they were within their bounds to do so. In all of the times I have been checked I have never been tagged by any of them for breaking any laws.

Pretty simple. Obey the laws and you will be fine.Break the laws and you will get caught and pay the price. Isn't this what we strive to do here with concealed carry and our 2A rights?

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”