DPS stop while not in car

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

bizarrenormality

Re: DPS stop while not in car

Post by bizarrenormality »

RKirkwood wrote:I thought we had to hand him our CHL with the ID regardless of being in the car or not.

I think you did well letting him know.
We do and if anything there's more reason to show it if we're not in a car. Somebody without a CHL can legally carry in their car, but not when they get out of their car and go into a convenience store. Especially if the convenience store sells alcohol.

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

Commander Cody wrote:My son received a citation for the same offence. While he did not have to pay the fine he did have to pay court cost, which was not cheap.
Same here, on a nearly yearly basis because I *always* forget about such things (which is why inspection renewals are on my calendar now). Where do you live? Here in Collin county it's $10, unless they changed it in the past couple years.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

RottenApple
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RottenApple »

Dave2 wrote:
Commander Cody wrote:My son received a citation for the same offence. While he did not have to pay the fine he did have to pay court cost, which was not cheap.
Same here, on a nearly yearly basis because I *always* forget about such things (which is why inspection renewals are on my calendar now). Where do you live? Here in Collin county it's $10, unless they changed it in the past couple years.
As of last year it was still $10 in Collin County. I got nailed for it while taking my brother-in-laws care to the shop for him (oddly enough to get the inspection done - LOL).

Topic author
VMI77
Posts in topic: 4

Post by VMI77 »

C-dub wrote:I'm still curious why you thought being in or out of a vehicle made a difference on the requirement to notify since you were actually carrying. I thought you were going to say that you didn't notify because the gun was in the car and upon entering to retrieve your insurance you would then be within reach of your gun.
I guess since I've had numerous encounters while outside my vehicle....such as my car being broken down on the shoulder, or pulled off from some country road to take photos, etc, and no request was made for ID, and in this instance it felt more like one of those encounters than a traffic stop, I reacted literally.

As an aside, while I don't mind informing an officer that I'm armed, it really doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since anyone with criminal intent isn't going to admit being armed.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Dave2
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dave2 »

VMI77 wrote:As an aside, while I don't mind informing an officer that I'm armed, it really doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since anyone with criminal intent isn't going to admit being armed.
Same here... I wouldn't lie about it, but I really doubt they want me to let every random officer know. Now if I'm standing next to a cop in the grocery store just making polite conversation (as was the case maybe a week ago), and someone tries to rob the place (as was thankfully not the case), then there's a fair chance that I'll volunteer the information that I'm armed and ask if them if they want me to do anything.
I am not a lawyer, nor have I played one on TV, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, nor should anything I say be taken as legal advice. If it is important that any information be accurate, do not use me as the only source.

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”