State Capitol security guard encounter

Most CHL/LEO contacts are positive, how about yours? Bloopers are fun, but no names please, if it will cause a LEO problems!

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
Texsquatch
Posts in topic: 2

State Capitol security guard encounter

Post by Texsquatch »

I've been carrying since this summer, and this was my first encounter with security/law enforcement.
With the weather being so nice, my wife & I decided to take our son to spend the afternoon in Austin and walk through the Texas State Cemetery and then visit the State Capitol. The afternoon went well, with the exception of a security guard displaying some attitude as we entered the Capitol. I knew there was a special CHL entrance, so as I walked in, I had my wallet in hand and saw the CHL desk was at my far right. My wife wasn't carrying, but she had a large camera bag, so I told her and my son to go straight ahead to security and I veered towards the CHL side. This older gentleman says, "come this way sir". Thinking it was normal protocol to go directly to the CHL line (there was a trooper stationed there), I said, again, "I'm going to CHL line". She then left his spot, walked over and put his arm out and said "come this way now". I stopped and took a half step back, not that he could really reach me, but I didn't know if he was going to stretch out from the rope barrier, and - still smiling, I said "I'm going to the CHL line". By now, a few people turned around, and my wife had that "oh gawd" look because she hates drawing attention. The guard takes another step towards me and says, "where are you going - oh, do you have a CHL?". At this point I stopped smiling, looked him straight in the eye and said "Yes, I already told you that". He then give me "permission" and said, "say something then, don't just walk off." So, being a normal jerk, I couldn't just walk away and I said, "I told you twice, plus, I'm following the signs. What more do you want". Thankfully, he didn't want to continue the conversation, and turned around.
So, I head to the CHL desk. The trooper was talking to someone behind the barrier, so I waited. Then, the same guard turns around and shouts something to the trooper. All I could make out was "this guy". The trooper literally jumps, faking surprise, throws his hands up and says "what, who, whoa. Hellooo. What can I do for you? Why's this guy yelling at me? You do something bad?". He was laughing the whole time. I said I was just following directions, but that guy seemed to be a little excitable. He said it was alright, we exchange a few pleasantries as he tries to pull up my info. He even had a technical error when he ran my CHL, said "whoa, you a bad guy? look at this mess" as he pointed to the tech error. One click of the back button and poof - my face pops up on his screen and he says "sorry, I'm just trying to be funny. Enjoy the Capitol, yall folks have nice day". Thank the lord for our well trained Troopers!
:txflag:

RHenriksen
Posts in topic: 1

Re: State Capitol security guard encounter

Post by RHenriksen »

Sounds like the first guy was a TSA reject. Or graduate.
I'll quit carrying a gun when they make murder and armed robbery illegal

Houston Technology Consulting
soup-to-nuts IT infrastructure design, deployment, and support for SMBs

Reds45ACP

Post by Reds45ACP »

I've been to The Capitol here many times. I've never had that issue. I just walk right over to the spot where the State Trooper is with my CHL in hand and a grin on my face. Sounds like you found the one guy who needed and attitude adjustment.
Hello. My name is Red and I used to carry a .45. Now I carry a 9mm and it's getting easier to admit every day.

Topic author
Texsquatch
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Texsquatch »

The Capitol wasn't crowded at all, but I think the guy was a little burnt out. When we entered the front entrance it was apparent that a tour bus of about 40 elderly folks had just cleared security. They were all crowded in front waiting for their tour. I'm pretty easy going, just didn't like the tone and his move which caused unnecessary attention.

Oh well, we still had a coach great visit to the grandest state house in the country. My son was an infant the last time we went to the capital. This is our first full year back in Texas and my son is studying Texas history so it was nice to take him to some special places now that he's older. When he was 4 months old, a state senator met us at a restaurant and sent him a gift of a Texas flag that flew above the Capitol on the day he was born. As we walked up the steps I pointed up and said that's where your flag flew. He stopped for a moment and could tell he understood how special it was. I always told him, no matter where we live, he'd always be Texan. Today's walking history lesson brought some special feelings out and he said he cannot wait to talk about it at school tomorrow.

howdy

Post by howdy »

In defense of old guys.....maybe he was just hard of hearing. I know my adult Children accuse me of that but I know I hear just fine. :mrgreen:
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

Texas troopers have consistently been the friendliest, and at the same time most professional, cops I've ever dealt with. Glad it turned out okay.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

howdy wrote:In defense of old guys.....maybe he was just hard of hearing. I know my adult Children accuse me of that but I know I hear just fine. :mrgreen:
What??? Could you type that again in all caps?
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

howdy wrote:In defense of old guys.....maybe he was just hard of hearing. I know my adult Children accuse me of that but I know I hear just fine. :mrgreen:
As I tell my kids, I hear fine, I'm just ignoring you.
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

VMI77

Post by VMI77 »

Nearly every rent-a-cop I've ever encountered has been a wannabe cop who thinks being a security guard grants him super powers.
"Journalism, n. A job for people who flunked out of STEM courses, enjoy making up stories, and have no detectable integrity or morals."

From the WeaponsMan blog, weaponsman.com

Return to “LEO Contacts & Bloopers”